collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What are your MLP-Peeves?  (Read 6738 times)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: What are your MLP-Peeves?
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2014, 11:07:47 AM »
When people write "sea pony" (or "flutter pony", etc) as one word ("seapony") >_< Also I admit, I tend to get annoyed about the many spellings of "Tirac" ^_^; But that's more of a slight annoyance for me than anything else, if that.. makes sense.. ^^;
(Oh! Plus how a lot of people spell "Erebus" as "Arabus". That kinda annoys me as well. haha, I swear I'm not as much of a stickler for correct spelling as I probably sound by now X'D;; )

The term "show accurate", especially when used to mean "it's only show accurate if it has molded hair!" like others have said. (edit: Oh, speaking of - I'm not a fan of molded hair, either, unless it's on the mini ponies like Ponyvilles and blind bags.)

US FREAKING EXCLUSIVES. I swear, it seems like all the new characters nowadays are US exclusives. :( And the ones that *have* made it over here are either overpriced (Pinkie Pie's Boutique) or exclusive to a shop that I've never even heard of (like the new TRU exclusives), guh.

"Everypony" and other such terms. I dunno why, it just sounds kinda stupid to me. (I also think "cutie mark" sounds silly, always have :P No offense to anyone who likes it, of course, but I'll always prefer "symbol".)

Like others have said, the lack of new characters in favour for constant re-releases of the main 6. (Plus the lack of boy ponies :( Even if they didn't make a new mold and just made more unicorn boys, I'd be happy! I mean, I'd love brushable earth and pegasi boys too, but y'know, haha.)

Oh, speaking of boy ponies.. TROLL HAIR. >__< I honestly don't understand why they did that. I'm always nervous about touching my Shining Armour's hair too much, in case it falls out or anything D: (I don't think it would, I'm just paranoid about that in general, heh). I don't really buy re-releases if I can help it, but I'd gladly buy another SA if he had 'proper' hair!

When people try and make every other thing in G4 a reference to G1, or any of the other previous gens. I agree it's fun to say "this pony looks similar to this pony!", I'm not saying that, I'm talking about people who are like "oh these ponies share the same [very common] colour scheme, it must be a reference!" Does that make sense? Not sure how to explain it, sorry ^^;.

Aheh, I rambled on more than I meant to ^_^;; Sorry about that! I fail at explaining things in a concise manner, haha.

edit: Oh, remembered another one. I really, *really* hate it when people portray Surprise as a blonde, pegasus version of Pinkie Pie. Aside from anything else.. her hair isn't yellow, it's chartreuse! That just really irritates me, haha.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 11:15:51 AM by Carrehz »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2014, 02:55:10 PM »
2 words...moulded hair :(
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2014, 03:56:34 PM »
Beautiful G1 pony, pristine paint, perfect hair...one big obvious cancer spot on DS  >_<  Whyyyyyyy
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Epona

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2014, 04:45:28 PM »
When someone gives you strange looks cus you are buying ponies.
What yah I'm a grown woman buying l il plastic horsies!! Its my money deal!

This is one of mine as well! I was in the supermarket buying the last sunset shimmer and the young guy (little younger than me, say 25ish) said in a joke “I hope that's not for you!?" I actually got really embarrassed and said it's for my sister but what I should of said was YES! It's MY pony! Deal with it......and skip out of the store

Also another peeve is when non pony fans/collectors try to rip you off.  Yeah yeah I know it's a g1 but heck no I'm not paying £10 for a scalped and gross butterscotch at a carboot sale! I have like loads of her and yes I want to rescue her but don't try and rip good people off. (Note to self, stop wearing your pony tshirts when pony hunting-they know and will use it against you!)

This. I have an imaginary niece to whom I buy all my ponies and toys XD (Always wear your lucky starry trousers when pony hunting on flea markets!)

My sister and I were embarrassed to be buying mlp and lps when we were teenagers. We'd have loud conversations about looking for a gift for "Tabitha" a younger friend or cousin. I don't have this problem anymore for two reasons: #1 I don't care if anyone figures out I'm buying these for myself (like all the cashiers at Target that recognize me. I'm supporting the economy, yo!) and #2 I'm old enough to have young kids, so people can assume I am buying them for my own daughters (or sons) if it pleases them.

I`ve actually had cashiers say things about my 2yr old daughter (who is with me) getting new ponies, and I correct them and say "Oh no, these ones are for me". LOL the looks I get.    ( The blind bags and second hand G1,2,3 are for me. She gets G4 brushables and FS)

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2014, 04:58:45 PM »
- When I put a pony on hold for a potential buyer, and they never respond when asked if they're still interested. At that point, I'm more offended by their rude ignorance than the fact that they no longer want the pony.

- People who accuse you of ripping of their original characters, usually because they have similar colors or powers. Oh, my character is a rip-off of yours just because they both have brown hair? In that case, go pick a bone with the hundreds of other brunette things or people out there.

- When people tell me that a MLP OC must have a symbol or it's just a colorful horse. Tell that to Ember!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 05:01:19 PM by Sundown »
Mimic on MLPTP

Offline Pythia

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2014, 05:27:19 PM »
When people put ponies on hold for you or you say you want to buy a pony and are waiting on confirmation of shipping costs or something and they sell to someone else.
Looking for: Alternate Birthflowers, Baity wingers, So softs - both minty and for deflocking - and DREAM BEAUTIES!

Offline Winter Bones

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2014, 06:08:21 PM »
Definitely ebay stuff. A baity G1 can push between 16 and 20 dollars depending on the shipping cost. I'm a student, I just can't afford that right now. On top of that I've run into many listings that neither describe the condition of the pony nor include clear pictures. :yikes:

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2014, 08:08:37 PM »
Lots marked as "HUGE!" when there's like seven ponies.  Same thing for garage sales.  I go out of my way to follow the signs for a "mega" or "huge" sale only to find a couple of tables with some baby clothes on it or something.

Yes! I always wonder if they really think the lot is huge or if they're just trying to get people to look.

Add me to those who can't stand people selling ponies for absurd prices. I've even seen the same ponies relisted over and over again and they never lower the price, and it feels like the poor ponies will be stuck in limbo because their owners can't understand that just because something is vintage doesn't mean it's worth a lot.

-_- This annoys me, too. I've seen some auctions get listed for more than five months without the expensive price changing much (if at all). Some months ago I made an offer on a great lot of ponies in beautiful condition, but my offer was declined. I was sad until I bought one of the ones I really wanted elsewhere for a great price. Now that auction's been up for a while and has around 15 rejected offers. I doubt all 15 of those were terrible offers. *sigh*

Yes, I thought of another pet peeve I'll add. Ebay sellers who reject your offer out of hand and don't offer a counteroffer. Even if they think you're way too low, it's more respectful to respond with an offer you'd rather receive and maybe an explanation. One time I was pleasantly surprised because a seller gave me a counteroffer in response to a Chief I had offered on and said something nice like, "Sorry, we can't go lower than ___." Even though they were saying no, at least they were nice about it.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 08:18:00 PM by Haruna »

PrincessGlitterBloom

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2014, 09:49:21 PM »
Constant re-releasing of the mane six, especially Pinkie Pie.

New ponies disappearing off shelves within two weeks never to be restocked in your area ever again. Or when shops will happily stock a shelf-full of those creepy knock-offs but no actual MLP items.

US exclusives. US exclusives. US exclusives that, if they come here, are suddenly 2-3x the price they were in the US.

Show-accuracy. I don't mean moulded hair. I mean there is no point in having so many diverse characters, both in appearance and personality, in the show if the toyline is going to ignore it and do its own thing. I like the random characters we get in the blindbag line (and to a much lesser extent, the brushable line) but if you're going to make a toy of a character, actually make that character as they appear in the show. Disney do not go "We're going to release a doll of Elsa!" and then release her with black hair, in an orange dress, and with a sandcastle accessory. No, they release a doll that is representative of the character in both appearance and personality because maybe, just maybe, when a kid wants a toy of a character they like from a film or show, they want that character. I think pinklestia and purpleluna are pretty, sure, but when I buy a toy or figure of a specific character, I want it to look like that character. For a show that celebrates people's/ponies' differences in personality and appearances, it's incredibly sad that Hasbro seem to be doing all they can to make the toys and dolls as samey as possible.

Yeah but they still release a Pixar tomboy princess then push her as sparkly as possible in the dolls.

Offline Rhubarbpie

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2014, 10:26:28 PM »
Hmm let me see....

1) Sellers who do not groom their ponies before selling.  How can they expect to get a decent price if the poor thing looks like she's been out in the wild for a year??

2) Ebay auctions titled "FiM Plumsweet pony MIB Brony Celestia Muffin pony" WHY?? You just have Plumsweet, no others for sale, why even mention the others??

3) Those weird little random paint splotches which always seem to appear on older ponies I buy.  They're not a hassle to remove, but how do they get there??

4) US only exclusives.  Is Non-US money not good enough for you Hasbro???

Offline Starfall

• Colorswirl Pony
  • Keeping Australia Post afloat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2014, 10:41:12 PM »
When people apologise for their opinion about an aspect of MLP. You're entitled to your own views!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Tinsel rehairer extraordinaire!

Offline TornadoTwist

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Author of MLP Merch
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2014, 11:46:10 PM »
Another one:

Ebay Sellers (Most of the time China/Hong Kong ones) who can't send the right Blind Bag. TWICE!

AnnetheCatDetective

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2014, 11:49:19 PM »

- When people tell me that a MLP OC must have a symbol or it's just a colorful horse. Tell that to Ember!

That's a silly thing to have someone tell you-- and if it's G4 fans giving guff over that, what about the CMC? People can do what they want with their OCs, goodness.

(full disclosure, I've designed a symbol free pony, too, and she's not 'just a colorful horse' because of it, even if she's not exactly an OC... Maybe when I do more work with her I guess.)

I get really turned off by the attitude that some of the newer adult (usually male) fans get over FiM... the sort of entitlement over a show that's made for little girls. Of course you can like it, but that doesn't mean it's FOR you. Little girls don't get enough well-written things made for them first. Little girls frequently get told to put away their toys before little boys do. Ponies should be for everyone, but it does bother me when people forget/ignore/deny that this is something that is first and foremost for little girls to have.

I don't mean all male fans are like this at all, of course-- my brother and one of my best friends are both in the fandom for FiM. But see, with my brother, I know he also grew up with my G1 ponies and stuff, and he's not one to be dismissive of previous gens. My friend loves Fluttershy because he identifies with her, not because she fills some kind of 'perfect waifu' stereotype to him... And I think a lot of these guys who got into MLP through FiM are good guys, whether or not they were previously collectors/fans. I think it's great that so many of them love something cute and don't have to be weird about it, they can just say 'hey, I like this thing, even though it wasn't made for me, because it still speaks to me'. It's just every so often someone will really rub me the wrong way with that attitude that everything has to be created for or has to cater to adult male fans. (and adult female fans might as well not exist haha, if you ask the media...)

Offline Aitsuki

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2014, 12:56:59 AM »
Uhh..... as a US collector? The EU exclusives.... Seriously, I am completely over the moon for Star Swirl, but she is IMPOSSIBLE to get a hold of.... I run around in circles chasing every G4 sale thread, praying to see a Star Swirl there and I'm always too late.... And when prototypes are gorgeous, then the released version is a disappointment. The Cadence prototypes were so pretty, having her gradient wings.... Just like the show. But when she comes out, her wings are a chunk of purple, no gradient. Then, Minty..... Minty "A" is adorable, I love her body coloring and the shades of pink in her hair... but the release version isn't as nice. Her color is too dark, she only has one pink and it's WAY bright, and the black circles around her cutie mark? Bleck. It makes her look clunky... Getting our hopes up and then disappointing us like that isn't cool, Hasbro!!! Release what you advertise!!!
My 3DS Friend Code (Playing Pokemon Moon): 2938-6334-2129

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2014, 01:01:43 AM »
Mine is when ponies have mismatching colored heads and bodies. I'll never find a perfect caramel crunch! It kills me to see them like that! :(
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal