collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What are some of your pony misconceptions?  (Read 4700 times)

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Re: What are some of your pony misconceptions?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2017, 08:58:07 PM »
I also spent years keeping my eye out for that rainbow haired white earth pony you see for a flash in Midnight Castle. They show her with the cat on her back for a second when Megan and Firefly land.  There was no super reliable way to check for sure if she even existed, so I held out hope!

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2017, 11:25:26 PM »
Because I got a lot of my ponies second-hand and only had the cartoon series as my sole reference point for G1's early years, I had misconceptions of who several of my ponies were:

I thought Majesty was Gusty, Peachy was Posey, and Sprinkles was Firefly. I assumed the toys just had different symbols than the ponies in the cartoon series. I didn't learn until collecting as an adult that I had entirely different ponies.

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2017, 11:42:25 PM »
My best friend and I had no idea that G1's actually had real names until we discovered the internet, because the only new ones we had were from when we were quite young, and any new ponies were from thrift, hand-me-downs or markets. I did get one name right though - Sunset, the Euro baby. We probably had about 20 between us, and hers was the only correct name, although some were pretty close. We were so excited when we found Dream Valley, and it took ages to get used to our ponies real names!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2017, 11:43:44 PM »

The same but in reverse for me with ponies from continental European countries and the US. Before I found Dream Valley in the summer of 1997 I thought that Firefly and company were just storybook characters.
That's really interesting, just because it's such a different way of growing up. Almost hard to wrap my mind around because Firefly was such a central character (at least in the books and movies I had, like Firefly's Adventure) and she and other classic ponies were readily available in thrift stores.

The situation here was a surreal kind of one because Firefly and her companions were hugely pushed and promoted here. They were on merchandise, in the stories, in the comics, they're even in the Fact File which is meant to show the complete line of ponies up to 1987 (it doesn't, the UK sea ponies are missing). They were here but they were not here.

As a child I assumed that they came out too early for me to get them (which they would have, maybe, if they had come to the UK), but as I got to carbooting, and we never found them, I began to not believe they existed. Also, I didn't know the sets they were released in then, so while I knew we had Gusty and Gypsy, because the fact file lumped all early ponies together, I didn't know that they came in a different set here.

Imagine my absolute joy on finding they existed in the US and the feverish desperation to find a way to get them in 1997, aged 15, without an email address or a PC online at home!

But I find it hard to get my head around the idea of those characters being common. I guess maybe you guys have the same thoughts about Snowflake or Hopscotch, both of whom used to come up at sales a lot.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Crystal Valley

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2017, 01:30:06 AM »
I don't really remember misconception about my ponies except this one with a G2 pony :Buttercup, I first thought she was a custom because you can only change her tail ! A this rate I was just seen ponies with a change tail AND mane but no only the tail ...

Well, like a lot of people I was surprised to know about Nirvana, mostly the French one ... for me, all the G1 ponies was made in China like all the toys today but no

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2017, 09:58:54 AM »
I always thought ponies started out babies. As a kid I got BBE Sundance. And then I saw a picture of Adult Sundance. I would tell my baby pony that she would look so beautiful when she frowns up. My other ponies picked on her because she was so odd:p
Voices by Share for all your piano, voice, pageants, and knitting needs. http://www.ebay.com/usr/crowningglory0013 or trade
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381689.msg1576786#msg1576786 want list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,290863.msg114445.html#msg114445
Facebook: Voices by Share

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2017, 10:45:08 AM »

The same but in reverse for me with ponies from continental European countries and the US. Before I found Dream Valley in the summer of 1997 I thought that Firefly and company were just storybook characters.
That's really interesting, just because it's such a different way of growing up. Almost hard to wrap my mind around because Firefly was such a central character (at least in the books and movies I had, like Firefly's Adventure) and she and other classic ponies were readily available in thrift stores.

The situation here was a surreal kind of one because Firefly and her companions were hugely pushed and promoted here. They were on merchandise, in the stories, in the comics, they're even in the Fact File which is meant to show the complete line of ponies up to 1987 (it doesn't, the UK sea ponies are missing). They were here but they were not here.

As a child I assumed that they came out too early for me to get them (which they would have, maybe, if they had come to the UK), but as I got to carbooting, and we never found them, I began to not believe they existed. Also, I didn't know the sets they were released in then, so while I knew we had Gusty and Gypsy, because the fact file lumped all early ponies together, I didn't know that they came in a different set here.

Imagine my absolute joy on finding they existed in the US and the feverish desperation to find a way to get them in 1997, aged 15, without an email address or a PC online at home!

But I find it hard to get my head around the idea of those characters being common. I guess maybe you guys have the same thoughts about Snowflake or Hopscotch, both of whom used to come up at sales a lot.
I didn't really get it about the early ponies until reading it here! I just guessed that UK got the same things we did but also had excusives which we didn't. I still have to remind myself that you guys didn't get US exclusive ponies. :huh: I don't know why I can't wrap my head around it. Probably because G1 and G2 ran longer there.

I always thought ponies started out babies. As a kid I got BBE Sundance. And then I saw a picture of Adult Sundance. I would tell my baby pony that she would look so beautiful when she frowns up. My other ponies picked on her because she was so odd:p

Isn't there a canon piece about baby's being born oftbeir moms reflections, hence Glory and Baby Glory, etc.? I thought I read that somewhere.

All my childhood ponies were second hand to my knowledge so my cousin and I that played with them together (she inherited them from her older sister, I was so jealous!) didn't know that they had real names. In fact, her sister tried telling us the names of Puddles and Peeks and we totally thought she was just messing with us because they seemed like such odd names and didn't match their symbols at all.

I was also surprised when I say the PPP playset at a friends house because I assumed that my cousin had all of the playsets that were available.

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline orangepeachmango

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2017, 11:42:50 AM »

this is such a good story! i love it. now, (as an adult) i never really understood why the babies look so identical to their mommies. wheres their dads? : O As a kid, i didnt have ANY baby ponies and neither did any of my friends, so coming into collecting i was amazed! i had no idea they made tiny reproductions of the adults!

im not really sure i had any "misconceptions" other than i just didnt know anything about them! there is so much rich history and so much love and care behind g1 ponies and i just didnt know any of it. i didn't know about nirvanas, i didn't know about all the variants and just how many ponies there really are, i didn't know who was popular and who wasnt- there was just so much i was blind to! im learning more every day :~)

wishlist

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2017, 11:51:17 AM »
Before I started collecting, I thought Glory was in Moondancer's pose.  I didn't have Glory, but I did have the Year 2 "normal pony" backcard, where she's drawn in Moondancer's pose.  I remember being confused and shaken when I found her in the thrift store.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline nessa16

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2017, 01:32:28 PM »
Before I started collecting, I thought Glory was in Moondancer's pose.  I didn't have Glory, but I did have the Year 2 "normal pony" backcard, where she's drawn in Moondancer's pose.  I remember being confused and shaken when I found her in the thrift store.

I was the opposite. I thought Moondancer would be in Glory's pose and was kind of put off as an early adult collector that she wasn't because Baby Moondancer was a favorite and Moondancer is in my least favorite pose.

"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2017, 04:43:00 AM »
I thought Baby Sunset was Baby Shady when she came out. I was so proud to have Baby Shady. XD

Also, I "remembered" that Princess Tiffany was in Sugar Apple's pose. I was sad when I found out she wasn't. :|

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2017, 06:09:23 AM »

I didn't really get it about the early ponies until reading it here! I just guessed that UK got the same things we did but also had excusives which we didn't. I still have to remind myself that you guys didn't get US exclusive ponies. :huh: I don't know why I can't wrap my head around it. Probably because G1 and G2 ran longer there.

That's a really common misconception people have about ponies here, but we were a smaller market so no way Hasbro were going to throw all the same ponies at us that the US and Canada had. So many fewer children in comparison. We did have a good quota of the same ponies, but not all the same ponies. So you guys had 15 Twinkle Eyes, for example. We had a total of ten of those released here in the UK. And different European countries had different ranges of the same and different ponies as North America, too.

The reason people get confused and don't know is that the ponies sold everywhere get called US ponies, and so do the ones sold only/predominately in North America. There's no distinction, although some were sold everywhere and are thus "global" ponies and others weren't . For that reason a lot of North American exclusive ponies are really cheap in comparison to some European exclusives - which I guess means the misconception worked out in our favour.

Although one of the points of my website is to try and point out those differences.

And the babies being born from a mirror came from the UK too - it's in the first edition of the MLP comic :) Which is great proof that we had the ponies in our stories, just not in our shops.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 06:11:56 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline nessa16

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2017, 06:39:58 AM »

That's a really common misconception people have about ponies here, but we were a smaller market so no way Hasbro were going to throw all the same ponies at us that the US and Canada had. So many fewer children in comparison. We did have a good quota of the same ponies, but not all the same ponies. So you guys had 15 Twinkle Eyes, for example. We had a total of ten of those released here in the UK. And different European countries had different ranges of the same and different ponies as North America, too.

The reason people get confused and don't know is that the ponies sold everywhere get called US ponies, and so do the ones sold only/predominately in North America. There's no distinction, although some were sold everywhere and are thus "global" ponies and others weren't . For that reason a lot of North American exclusive ponies are really cheap in comparison to some European exclusives - which I guess means the misconception worked out in our favour.

Although one of the points of my website is to try and point out those differences.

And the babies being born from a mirror came from the UK too - it's in the first edition of the MLP comic :) Which is great proof that we had the ponies in our stories, just not in our shops.

Interesting! Thanks for the mini lesson. I will have to look at your site. I think the US exclusives being cheaper than euro/UK/etc. may also play a part in not remembering that exclusives both ways.

I thought that it was from the UK comics! Interesting concept, is there more to that story?

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2017, 08:05:08 AM »
Oh! For the longest time I thought Gusty was a pegasus until I came here and found out she is only a unicorn. I'm probably just confused or remembering incorrectly but I still swear my step sister's was a pegasus  :lol:

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2017, 10:01:36 AM »
What are some of your pony misconceptions?

That hasbro will make toys I actually like again.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal