collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What are some of your pony misconceptions?  (Read 4620 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: What are some of your pony misconceptions?
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2017, 10:07:47 AM »
What are some of your pony misconceptions?

That hasbro will make toys I actually like again.

:like:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2017, 10:58:06 AM »
I always thought ponies started out babies. As a kid I got BBE Sundance. And then I saw a picture of Adult Sundance. I would tell my baby pony that she would look so beautiful when she frowns up. My other ponies picked on her because she was so odd:p

Isn't there a canon piece about baby's being born oftbeir moms reflections, hence Glory and Baby Glory, etc.? I thought I read that somewhere.

I think so, yes. I think I remember that G1 baby ponies came from some magic mirror, which is why they look identical to their mothers.

What are some of your pony misconceptions?

That hasbro will make toys I actually like again.

:lol:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2017, 04:00:15 AM »

And the babies being born from a mirror came from the UK too - it's in the first edition of the MLP comic :) Which is great proof that we had the ponies in our stories, just not in our shops.

Interesting! Thanks for the mini lesson. I will have to look at your site. I think the US exclusives being cheaper than euro/UK/etc. may also play a part in not remembering that exclusives both ways.

I thought that it was from the UK comics! Interesting concept, is there more to that story?

I don't think so, I don't think it came up again. I think I have the story on my site in the comic section.

@Kingsly - you misquoted me. I didn't ask the question, I answered it ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2017, 08:35:38 PM »
Imagine my absolute joy on finding they existed in the US and the feverish desperation to find a way to get them in 1997, aged 15, without an email address or a PC online at home!

But I find it hard to get my head around the idea of those characters being common. I guess maybe you guys have the same thoughts about Snowflake or Hopscotch, both of whom used to come up at sales a lot.
:lol: That would be awesome, to find that Firefly et al. were real (though faraway!). I was rediscovering ponies online at the same time and longed for the UK and European baby ponies who were so far across the sea. You mentioned Snowflake and Hopscotch; I remember in that same time in my life being super excited to spot their setmate Gypsy inexplicably in a large group of ponies on Ebay on this side of the pond. I got my parents' permission to bid and won the biggest group of ponies I'd ever had. But I was so excited to have that UK pony, who, probably, is pretty common to you :) I love her still today.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2017, 12:08:45 AM »
Most of these come from ye olde days, where information was hard to find.
I spent years looking for the rest of the 'MLP Dinosaurs' - not realizing my childhood Cutasaurus was part of the Pony Friends set, and there were no others until Dream Valley / MLPTP became staples. 

I was also incredibly confused by Baby Milky Way due to the fact the only Milky Way I knew of was from a cut-up backcard - and shown as an adult unicorn.  I thought it was just some kind of weird art mistake - didn't have any matching baby/adult pairs at the time. 

I thought Baby Applejack was a hoax at first, because Applejack was so common here but I'd never seen a baby version of her, nor had anyone else I knew of.  This was before the community figured out all the regional exclusives.

More recently, wasn't sure my Venezuelan OOAK was even a proper MLP at all since she's just so weird, and not something you'd expect to find in Canada of all places. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2017, 04:39:28 AM »
I had ponies as a child, and at the time I was forced to quit collecting, the sweet berry ponies were the last set I saw come out at retail.  Fast forward to many years later when I started collecting as an adult, I found a perfume Dainty Delilah.  I did not know her hair was supposed to be like that, so I cut it all off and attempted my first rehair.

Offline orangepeachmango

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2017, 04:43:59 AM »
I had ponies as a child, and at the time I was forced to quit collecting, the sweet berry ponies were the last set I saw come out at retail.  Fast forward to many years later when I started collecting as an adult, I found a perfume Dainty Delilah.  I did not know her hair was supposed to be like that, so I cut it all off and attempted my first rehair.

LMAO relatable, first time I saw a perfume puff I assumed it was some sort of custom trend!! It took until I saw one MIB to get it!

wishlist

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2017, 08:47:22 AM »
I remember the first time alternate Birthflower Holly (green with white hair) hit eBay.  Everyone was so confused!  A lot of people thought she was a custom made from Minty.

Back in Ye Olde Days it was common for eBay auctions not to have pictures, just descriptions.  Also scammers were a lot more common than they are today, and eBay wouldn't do much about them.  No PayPal, so you couldn't get your money back after getting scammed. 

So this one time I took a chance on an auction for "MOC Love Letter Pony" that didn't have pictures.  I won for only $20, probably because the seller had low feedback and most people figured it was a scam.  The seller sent a pony, all right, but it wasn't Love Letter.  It was MOC Love-Pony.  Who I had never heard of or seen before, and no one else had ever heard of or seen before, and WHY WAS SHE ON A MLP TALES BACKCARD??
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2017, 10:17:12 AM »
I remember the first time alternate Birthflower Holly (green with white hair) hit eBay.  Everyone was so confused!  A lot of people thought she was a custom made from Minty.

Back in Ye Olde Days it was common for eBay auctions not to have pictures, just descriptions.  Also scammers were a lot more common than they are today, and eBay wouldn't do much about them.  No PayPal, so you couldn't get your money back after getting scammed. 

So this one time I took a chance on an auction for "MOC Love Letter Pony" that didn't have pictures.  I won for only $20, probably because the seller had low feedback and most people figured it was a scam.  The seller sent a pony, all right, but it wasn't Love Letter.  It was MOC Love-Pony.  Who I had never heard of or seen before, and no one else had ever heard of or seen before, and WHY WAS SHE ON A MLP TALES BACKCARD??

Do you have a picture of this pony?  :shocked:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2017, 07:46:29 PM »
I eventually sold her, but here's a picture of the same pony from My Little Wiki:

She's from the 1995 Dutch set, but no one knew that at the time.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2017, 08:38:36 AM »
Imagine my absolute joy on finding they existed in the US and the feverish desperation to find a way to get them in 1997, aged 15, without an email address or a PC online at home!

But I find it hard to get my head around the idea of those characters being common. I guess maybe you guys have the same thoughts about Snowflake or Hopscotch, both of whom used to come up at sales a lot.
:lol: That would be awesome, to find that Firefly et al. were real (though faraway!). I was rediscovering ponies online at the same time and longed for the UK and European baby ponies who were so far across the sea. You mentioned Snowflake and Hopscotch; I remember in that same time in my life being super excited to spot their setmate Gypsy inexplicably in a large group of ponies on Ebay on this side of the pond. I got my parents' permission to bid and won the biggest group of ponies I'd ever had. But I was so excited to have that UK pony, who, probably, is pretty common to you :) I love her still today.

I don't think  I ever thought of Gypsy as common. I remember stalking mine at a second hand sale until it opened and that was the first one I ever saw (I was still a kid, but none of my school friends had her). Wind Whistler and co, yes. But not her.

I remember people thinking Italian ponies were fakies. I got my yellow Minty from one such person. We both thought she was trading me a cool knock off for a regular Minty. And it turned out she wasn't. I didn't think Italian ponies were fakies, because I had a few and were collecting them, but this was one of those ponies that was sold in Italy in a weird way, so...

In any case, I have a long list somewhere of the myths people talked about back then. Like a flutter that came from Finland only...

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2017, 11:43:42 AM »
I eventually sold her, but here's a picture of the same pony from My Little Wiki:

She's from the 1995 Dutch set, but no one knew that at the time.

WOW! She's really cute! :lovey:

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2017, 11:45:36 AM »

And the babies being born from a mirror came from the UK too - it's in the first edition of the MLP comic :) Which is great proof that we had the ponies in our stories, just not in our shops.

Interesting! Thanks for the mini lesson. I will have to look at your site. I think the US exclusives being cheaper than euro/UK/etc. may also play a part in not remembering that exclusives both ways.

I thought that it was from the UK comics! Interesting concept, is there more to that story?

I don't think so, I don't think it came up again. I think I have the story on my site in the comic section.

@Kingsly - you misquoted me. I didn't ask the question, I answered it ;)

Ohp, my bad! Guess that's what I get for being on the Arena while I'm so tired, misreading and misquoting.

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2017, 05:39:30 PM »

:wow: That's amazing! :jealous:

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2017, 05:45:47 PM »
my greatest misconception was that g1s were ugly, until I got one in my own hands of course!!  :biggrin:

Me too. It only took 30 years, no big deal.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal