collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What are some of your pony misconceptions?  (Read 4622 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
What are some of your pony misconceptions?
« on: April 05, 2017, 10:21:46 AM »
Having literally never seen G2s in stores anywhere, I used to believe that MLP had rebooted with G3 and that it was the second gen.  :blush:

I never knew that some ponies used to have pink hair. Tornado, Princess Serena, 4-Speed. Just to name a few.

I never knew until some of you lovely pony people showed  me, that Windy was supposed to be lavender. Even as a kid, mine was white.

Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
Re: What are some of your pony misconceptions?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 12:45:14 PM »
I thought G2 had largely bombed until I realized it had gone on way longer and with far more success overseas in Europe. They got some G2's I would have bought

Offline LunaMoonCustoms1212

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 01:30:10 PM »
my greatest misconception was that g1s were ugly, until I got one in my own hands of course!!  :biggrin:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

One does not simply stop collecting ponies.
Instagram: @lunamooncustoms

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 01:41:45 PM »
I thought G2 had largely bombed until I realized it had gone on way longer and with far more success overseas in Europe. They got some G2's I would have bought
I thought the same! I was very surprised to learn otherwise.

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 01:47:39 PM »
I always thought g1 daffidol was white, it wasnt until i got her i realized she is a greeny/ blue, still blows my mind after thinking she was white for many many years

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 02:05:42 PM »
I thought the same! I was very surprised to learn otherwise.
Same here lol. I was so happy to find out that wasn't the case though.

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 02:58:48 PM »
Until I got back into collecting as an adult, I had no idea nirvanas and European exclusives even existed.

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 03:14:17 PM »
Until I got back into collecting as an adult, I had no idea nirvanas and European exclusives even existed.

Funny thing- A loved the pamphlets as a kid, but I always found it odd that I had acquired a baby apple jack through a school friend and I had never seen them in any pamphlets. Fast forward to the age of the internet and I learn my little ponies had been released around the world and that I had by chance gotten a Euro release! I was quite chuffed!

So yeah, same! International and nirvanas? News to me!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 03:17:36 PM »

Same here.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline McKinley

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 04:06:31 PM »
I spent my whole childhood and adolescence convinced that SS Scrumptious (my first pony) was called Lickety-Split, and didn't figure out her actual name until I started collecting as an adult in 2003.  :lol:

Also, I had no idea that MLP had rebooted into G2 in the late '90s until after they had been discontinued in the US.

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 04:17:09 PM »
For me it was nirvana ponies, I now know they are a thing, and gen one went on far longer than I knew.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 04:48:22 PM »

Funny thing- A loved the pamphlets as a kid, but I always found it odd that I had acquired a baby apple jack through a school friend and I had never seen them in any pamphlets. Fast forward to the age of the internet and I learn my little ponies had been released around the world and that I had by chance gotten a Euro release! I was quite chuffed!

So yeah, same! International and nirvanas? News to me!
The same but in reverse for me with ponies from continental European countries and the US. Before I found Dream Valley in the summer of 1997 I thought that Firefly and company were just storybook characters.

Also, when I first found Baby Heart Throb I didn't know what she was because in the UK stories she has winged hearts and the one I found here in the UK didn't. Took a while to work that out.

The first time I saw a So Soft I thought someone had done something crazy to her. I also when I saw So Softs on Dream Valley, thought they were plush ponies because the term so soft was used here for those and the pictures on DV were mostly from inserts.

The first perfume puff we found, my sister and I both thought something tragic happened to her hair, because we never saw those in the shops. It was only the pony comic's way of drawing hair that made me realise who and what she was.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 04:49:39 PM »

I also was the same never knew about them until I reached this forum. I still find them fascinating and weird at the same time.

Offline CactusBloom

• Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Formerly leafcascade
    • View Profile
    • My Pony Blog - rileyspones
!
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 06:41:50 PM »
When I was about 10 I would play with my BFF with our G3s. One day she showed me her "old" ponies (which were G1s) and I thought they were knockoffs because I had never seen G1 before. I thought the only "old" ones were G2 because I had those as a kid.

Later I saw a G1 and realized it came first and was true MLP!
Formerly known as leafcascade
Hope you have a wonderful day!

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 07:46:51 PM »
Mine is kind of a variation of this -- I collected pretty consistently until I was 16-ish (the beginning of G3, more or less), and then when I got back into collecting about 10 years later I was very surprised to learn that there were so many more exclusives than the European exclusives I knew about. I learned there were Indian ponies, Argentinian ponies, Venezuelan, Peruvian, the Australian birthflowers, and then European exclusives like Spanish piggy ponies and Greek ponies. I still don't know very much about them and feel I need to study up, ha ha.

The same but in reverse for me with ponies from continental European countries and the US. Before I found Dream Valley in the summer of 1997 I thought that Firefly and company were just storybook characters.
That's really interesting, just because it's such a different way of growing up. Almost hard to wrap my mind around because Firefly was such a central character (at least in the books and movies I had, like Firefly's Adventure) and she and other classic ponies were readily available in thrift stores.

The first time I saw a So Soft I thought someone had done something crazy to her . . . .
The first perfume puff we found, my sister and I both thought something tragic happened to her hair, because we never saw those in the shops.
These reactions make a lot of sense. :lol: Those gimmicks are weird concepts if you think about it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal