collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: SDCC Pony 2016  (Read 33588 times)

Princess Lala

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: SDCC Pony 2016
« Reply #120 on: June 30, 2016, 05:36:08 AM »
Also this isn't the first time Hasbro pulled something this disappointing. For D23 the Descendants exclusive was just Evie and Mal's regular dolls in a special box.

I have to agree with this here.....I was also pretty darned disappointed in this exclusive! The only creative thing I've seen from Hasbro this year is Yokai watch stuff. Even their sdcc yokai exclusive is awesome!

Also sometimes with Mattel even too, their first MH exclusive was a black and white Frankie, looked identical to the original release to me but monochrome in a cool box xD

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+170)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 30, 2016, 05:43:21 AM »
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARF!   :X    :X   :X

Everyone should just abandon them at the registration desk when they pick up their package and BITTERLY complain to Fair Staff.  Really, if some RE-RELEASE OF A NON-PONY toy is the MLP Fair exclusive, the Fair Staff should have just told Hasbro, "No thanks, we'll hand out bookmarks or something." 

Why can't Hasbro see the obvious?  Just make a Styling Pony sized G1 and we'll go crazy falling all over each other trying to buy it.  Trying to have us justify the price/value of some TV show character toy does NOT make it a collectible that anyone wants to own, or spend money on! 

I think it would be extremely unfair to take it out on the Fair organizers.

I agree.  It's not the fault of the Fair staff, who probably don't know much in advance what the exclusive will be and who certainly don't have any influence over Hasbro. 

And if they ever say "no thanks" to the exclusive, who's to say they would ever get an exclusive again?   The Fair is not a huge money-making event for Hasbro, it's something they do because the MLP community worked hard to develop a relationship with them BEFORE G4 rocketed MLP into the realm of "nerd pop culture."
I have to agree on this, its not their fault at all! Why complain if its something they clearly can't control? Not only that you're going to make the staff experience a bad one when everyone should be enjoying themselves. :)

If you really don't want the exclusive sell it, I'm sure someone will buy it. If I could I would buy it, I know someone who would love this.

Yes, please be kind to the Fair Staff. They don't have control over what gets approved through Hasbro. I know that at least last year's Fair, they weren't told what the exclusive was till it actually shipped to them and they saw them with their own eyes.     By that time, all the papers and contracts are signed and the Fair is too close, so it's not like they can return them at that point anyway. Design of the exclusive, production, and commitment to buy the exclusive for the Fair happen long before the Fair Staff sees it. 

They cross their fingers for a good exclusive just like the rest of us.   They get disappointed too. But they still give us a chance to get one before the rest of the world does at SDCC and Hasbro Toy Shop.  Whether or not it's a well-liked figure, it's still wonderful we get that opportunity.   :)

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #122 on: June 30, 2016, 06:10:52 AM »
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARF!   :X    :X   :X

Everyone should just abandon them at the registration desk when they pick up their package and BITTERLY complain to Fair Staff.  Really, if some RE-RELEASE OF A NON-PONY toy is the MLP Fair exclusive, the Fair Staff should have just told Hasbro, "No thanks, we'll hand out bookmarks or something." 

Why can't Hasbro see the obvious?  Just make a Styling Pony sized G1 and we'll go crazy falling all over each other trying to buy it.  Trying to have us justify the price/value of some TV show character toy does NOT make it a collectible that anyone wants to own, or spend money on! 

I think it would be extremely unfair to take it out on the Fair organizers.

I agree.  It's not the fault of the Fair staff, who probably don't know much in advance what the exclusive will be and who certainly don't have any influence over Hasbro. 

And if they ever say "no thanks" to the exclusive, who's to say they would ever get an exclusive again?   The Fair is not a huge money-making event for Hasbro, it's something they do because the MLP community worked hard to develop a relationship with them BEFORE G4 rocketed MLP into the realm of "nerd pop culture."
I have to agree on this, its not their fault at all! Why complain if its something they clearly can't control? Not only that you're going to make the staff experience a bad one when everyone should be enjoying themselves. :)

If you really don't want the exclusive sell it, I'm sure someone will buy it. If I could I would buy it, I know someone who would love this.

Yes, please be kind to the Fair Staff. They don't have control over what gets approved through Hasbro. I know that at least last year's Fair, they weren't told what the exclusive was till it actually shipped to them and they saw them with their own eyes.     By that time, all the papers and contracts are signed and the Fair is too close, so it's not like they can return them at that point anyway. Design of the exclusive, production, and commitment to buy the exclusive for the Fair happen long before the Fair Staff sees it. 

They cross their fingers for a good exclusive just like the rest of us.   They get disappointed too. But they still give us a chance to get one before the rest of the world does at SDCC and Hasbro Toy Shop.  Whether or not it's a well-liked figure, it's still wonderful we get that opportunity.   :)

and there are plenty of us who DO like it! the only one I sold off was DJ. Muffins was a brushable. I LOOOVE Mane-iac. Chicken Pie worked for me b/c she was in her Nightmare Night outfit and I LOOOOVE Halloween/Nightmare Night. And I love Discord so I'm super excited! I love the box art too!

What I'm disappointed about is Hasbro's laziness at using something that's coming out later this year (a set that I didn't know about till reading this thread!) I also don't get the articulated FS ...with the box design I'd like to leave mine in box...but then the articulated FS looks silly :P

So be upset, but PLEASE do not take it out on Fair Staff! Tell Hasbro - and if you write them an actual letter it will have more impact than posting anywhere online ;)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 30, 2016, 06:28:41 AM »
The figure itself is very nice, you gotta admit.  Like, if I'd seen the GoH version on a shelf I'd have been impressed with the sculpt.  But not $50 impressed. 

I always thought "exclusive" meant "you can't buy this anywhere else."  I'd spend $50 to buy a dictionary for Hasbro. 

Offline josiekat

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There's no such thing as a bait Bluebelle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 30, 2016, 06:39:33 AM »
Yeah, I'm not thrilled with this at all. Which is great for my wallet I suppose. It just sucks that this is now year 3 or 4 that I have no interest in the exclusive. It almost makes me wish that the FiM popularity would just die off already. Then maybe hasbro would go back to making exclusives people like me actually want.

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 30, 2016, 06:51:02 AM »
Yeah, I'm not thrilled with this at all. Which is great for my wallet I suppose. It just sucks that this is now year 3 or 4 that I have no interest in the exclusive. It almost makes me wish that the FiM popularity would just die off already. Then maybe hasbro would go back to making exclusives people like me actually want.

While I agree, saying "exclusives that people like me actually want" is entirely subjective. People seemed to really like the Muffins exclusive from a few years ago, even the Vinyl Scratch, chicken Pie, and Mane-iac exclusives have their fans (I've honestly liked them all to a degree...except this year's). Not everyone likes the same thing, not everyone can agree on what makes a pony a pony. This time I can totally agree that Hasbro dropped the ball and got lazy with this exclusive-that's-barely-an-exclusive.

But a part of me wants to believe that Hasbro is trying to appeal to the masses and not just a handful of pony fans (because well...appealing to more people, or at least trying to, makes them more money). I don't believe it worked this time, but logically, I think they were trying to make more people happy than just a few.

That said, and I'll say it again, they dropped the ball on this one. I've even seen anger from newer fans who actually do like G4 and Discord, because this will be the first "exclusive" that has a regular store release with only slight differences. It's totally understandable why people who bought ticket packages for the Fair are upset that they paid for something that obviously isn't worth $50 or $60 because nearly the same figure is going to be on shelves cheaper. This is just the epitome of laziness.
Instagram / Want List

Offline Jorgito93

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 30, 2016, 07:36:28 AM »
Hasbro doesn't care about us for this.This is clearly for bronies that will scream in joy when they see non-girly mlp toys while not even thinking that this is not a true exclusive.Proof is, when i go to the article about this thing on the biggest brony website everyone seems happy of it.A lot of bronies want so much badass in MLP that they forget to think.What a shame hasbro is pandering to them.

Offline Lore-Lei

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 30, 2016, 07:52:20 AM »
This is clearly for bronies that will scream in joy when they see non-girly mlp toys while not even thinking that this is not a true exclusive.
I've seen more people screaming in joy about their favorite ship becoming real. Yes, some people do think that packing Discord and Fluttershy together means they are a canon couple now. By the art on the box I also feel this was the point as well.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 07:54:49 AM by Lore-Lei »

Offline Jorgito93

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 30, 2016, 08:04:59 AM »
This is clearly for bronies that will scream in joy when they see non-girly mlp toys while not even thinking that this is not a true exclusive.
I've seen more people screaming in joy about their favorite ship becoming real. Yes, some people do think that packing Discord and Fluttershy together means they are a canon couple now. By the art on the box I also feel this was the point as well.
Yes this too.I don't wanna hate on the brony fandom because i used to be in it, but seriously if hasbro can sell this as an exclusive and bronies won't complain, i don't wanna see next year's exclusive.
*imagines* And so the 2017 SDCC exclusive has been reveleaved! it's blind bag figures of lyra and bon bon but in the same box!For 50 bucks!You love this ship, right?
 :yikes:
The worst is that something like that could really happen if bronies don't have a problem with this exclusive...

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #129 on: June 30, 2016, 08:08:40 AM »
I think it's just not considered very acceptable to quote-unquote "bash" anything MLP in the brony community.  They cooed over Vinyl Scratch too, but she still lingered in Hasbro Toy Shop forever, not selling.  Note how few people in the comments section are talking about the actual TOY.  Not a good sign.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline DonkeyGrl2002

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+78)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 30, 2016, 08:25:21 AM »
:( just sad Hasbro couldn't at least be a little more creative..... so many possibilities but instead we get this....something that almost looks exactly like what will be in stores soon. That is what is so disappointing to me. I am grateful though for the hard work the fair staff puts in and am still super excited about the fair...next week!! :)

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 30, 2016, 08:31:18 AM »
I think it's just not considered very acceptable to quote-unquote "bash" anything MLP in the brony community.  They cooed over Vinyl Scratch too, but she still lingered in Hasbro Toy Shop forever, not selling.  Note how few people in the comments section are talking about the actual TOY.  Not a good sign.

This is also true, and that saddens me. I love G4, don't consider myself a brony (I think it's a silly term), but the fandom is beyond annoying about these types of things. Heck, I'd even guess that most bronies aren't actually collectors anyway. I've seen them complain about the regular toys more than anyone here and even when they like something, they don't buy it. :shrug: So while it seems like Hasbro is -as much as I hate to say it- catering to them , maybe they really should just stop and give us something new.

There are so many neat and pretty pony designs from the show... I'd be fine if we got Fashion Style versions of those ponies (with brushable hair- and I'm not one to get picky over that) for the next few years instead of this.
Instagram / Want List

Offline Jorgito93

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 30, 2016, 08:39:22 AM »

This is also true, and that saddens me. I love G4, don't consider myself a brony (I think it's a silly term), but the fandom is beyond annoying about these types of things. Heck, I'd even guess that most bronies aren't actually collectors anyway. I've seen them complain about the regular toys more than anyone here and even when they like something, they don't buy it. :shrug: So while it seems like Hasbro is -as much as I hate to say it- catering to them , maybe they really should just stop and give us something new.

There are so many neat and pretty pony designs from the show... I'd be fine if we got Fashion Style versions of those ponies (with brushable hair- and I'm not one to get picky over that) for the next few years instead of this.
Bronies are stupid sometimes, but i think this is a bit of bad faith.Criticizing bronies for not being collectors while they never meant to be in the first place is like criticizing a cat because it can't fly.Bronies like the show more than the toys and it's like that, even though i agree the toy bashing is stupid.

Offline MsMedley

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • "We’re all cast-aways in need of ropes"
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 30, 2016, 08:46:54 AM »
That picture of Fluttershy on the box is adorable  ^.^
^.^ Check out my facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/KimberlysCommissions

Thank you to Dainty for my profile pic!!

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 30, 2016, 08:49:54 AM »
Bronies are stupid sometimes, but i think this is a bit of bad faith.Criticizing bronies for not being collectors while they never meant to be in the first place is like criticizing a cat because it can't fly.Bronies like the show more than the toys and it's like that, even though i agree the toy bashing is stupid.

I'm not criticizing them for not being collectors (at least I don't think I said anything like that?), I'm criticizing Hasbro for focusing on them when they aren't the ones buying the Fair and SDCC exclusives. Like I said, from what I've noticed, even when they do like something, they aren't the ones buying it. And there's nothing wrong with that, but clearly they aren't the audience for these exclusives.
Instagram / Want List

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal