collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: SDCC Pony 2016  (Read 33587 times)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: SDCC Pony 2016
« Reply #135 on: June 30, 2016, 08:51:04 AM »
I don't feel this set is "pandering to bronies", BTW.  I think Hasbro Logic (TM) went like this:

"The SDCC exclusive should be big and impressive.  That Discord mold we made is big and impressive.  If we repaint the eyes, it can be a 'variant'!  Hmm, it should include a pony too.  Fluttershy is friends with Discord, so we'll use her.  Bam, done."

Of course the bronies are claiming "It's because Hasbro wanted to confirm a ship!!!", because that's what they do.  If it had been Rainbow Dash in the box then Discord x Rainbow Dash shippers would be coming forward saying the same thing.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 30, 2016, 09:11:13 AM »
It would however be funny if it turns out Discord never ends up appearing on shelves in the US and the regularly packed version is only for the international market.

My only beef with this is in the case of Discord it's not an exclusive and in the case of Fluttershy it better not be.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline PinkieShyPony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 30, 2016, 09:12:30 AM »
I don't feel this set is "pandering to bronies", BTW.  I think Hasbro Logic (TM) went like this:

"The SDCC exclusive should be big and impressive.  That Discord mold we made is big and impressive.  If we repaint the eyes, it can be a 'variant'!  Hmm, it should include a pony too.  Fluttershy is friends with Discord, so we'll use her.  Bam, done."

I totally agree that this was their reasoning.

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 30, 2016, 09:23:15 AM »

Honestly, I believe this.
Instagram / Want List

Offline Lore-Lei

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 30, 2016, 09:41:42 AM »
I think it's just not considered very acceptable to quote-unquote "bash" anything MLP in the brony community.  They cooed over Vinyl Scratch too, but she still lingered in Hasbro Toy Shop forever, not selling.  Note how few people in the comments section are talking about the actual TOY.  Not a good sign.
It's also worth noting how a lot of people that, quoted 'wants this more than anything' can't afford it either because its price or because they can't go to the fair themselves. Very, very weird. Also, bashing things is completely a-okay as long as it a, something that hasn't come out yet and b, radically different from pastel colored horses. EQG being prime example of how ramprant mud-throwing turned into head-over-heels love because it was 'better than what I expected'. It is what it is.

But let's get this done one by one alright?

This is also true, and that saddens me. I love G4, don't consider myself a brony (I think it's a silly term), but the fandom is beyond annoying about these types of things. Heck, I'd even guess that most bronies aren't actually collectors anyway. I've seen them complain about the regular toys more than anyone here and even when they like something, they don't buy it. :shrug: So while it seems like Hasbro is -as much as I hate to say it- catering to them , maybe they really should just stop and give us something new.

There are so many neat and pretty pony designs from the show... I'd be fine if we got Fashion Style versions of those ponies (with brushable hair- and I'm not one to get picky over that) for the next few years instead of this.
Majority of the fandom doesn't care about the toys themselves but the show. A lot of times the complainments towards the toys is because of them affecting the quality of the show (Cadence, Twilicorn, Flurry Heart, the next who knows how many alicorn princesses to come). However, I also agree it's not good bashing the other side of the fandom simply for that, it's not their fault... most of the times that is. As for them not buying it, see above. Most of the fandom doesn't have money to afford and there is only a slight percent that'd buy that out of impulse. 60$ is, well, that's a lot of dollars.

Of course the bronies are claiming "It's because Hasbro wanted to confirm a ship!!!", because that's what they do.  If it had been Rainbow Dash in the box then Discord x Rainbow Dash shippers would be coming forward saying the same thing.
I somewhat agree. It's not 200% totally obvious, just seems rather fishy for me, because of the characters. Note that while RainbowXDiscord is a thing, it's nowhere near in the magnitude of FluttershyXDiscord, which obviously comes from the two interacting in the show fairly regularly and their opposing personalities. Whether it's because of that interaction, or the shipping is why they put them in a package is a mystery and will remain so until someone from Hasbro explicity says it.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 09:44:52 AM by Lore-Lei »

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 30, 2016, 09:53:29 AM »
Majority of the fandom doesn't care about the toys themselves but the show. A lot of times the complainments towards the toys is because of them affecting the quality of the show (Cadence, Twilicorn, Flurry Heart, the next who knows how many alicorn princesses to come). However, I also agree it's not good bashing the other side of the fandom simply for that, it's not their fault... most of the times that is. As for them not buying it, see above. Most of the fandom doesn't have money to afford and there is only a slight percent that'd buy that out of impulse. 60$ is, well, that's a lot of dollars.

And I'll say again that I wasn't bashing bronies for not being collectors. That's a really dumb thing to bash someone over (seriously, that wasn't my intent at all), I was just saying that they shouldn't be the target for exclusives and such because they aren't the ones spending money on the toys and collectibles. I don't typically fall into the group of people who cry "pandering" every time Hasbro introduces something I don't like, but the exclusive for this year just gives off that feeling to me. That feeling of "this is what they like, right?!" At the same time, I could totally see Hasbro just making this the exclusive because it's one of the more detailed toys they've come out with and they wanted to find another use for the mold. We don't know the reason for this particular exclusive, and they'll like never tell us.

Regardless, the fact that this isn't even really exclusive at all makes it the laziest of the G4 Fair/SDCC exclusives to date. Period.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 09:55:45 AM by Rainbowrific Renia »
Instagram / Want List

Offline Skylar

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+211)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 30, 2016, 09:54:05 AM »
[edit] Hasbro. I am so sick of this junk that I swear if anyone from there shows up I am going to throw this thing in their face. An exclusive is something made special for someone, not existing, cheapa** junk that is recycled for a higher price tag. Come on! Can't they even attempt to do something special for us? If not, then forget this dumb thing and charge less to get into the fair!!

[edit ~ hathorcat]
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 01:56:45 PM by hathorcat »

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 30, 2016, 09:56:25 AM »
This figure is definitely not pandering to Bronies. If anything, it may show that Hasbro is no longer valuing the "brony" phenom.  Hasbro is just being cheap here- I mean really-  a repackaged figure? THAT is the exclusive ? Wow. 

I think the ONLY reason more of the Brony community is not complaining about the figure because most of them haven't actually realized that the figure is not unique.

I think there would be/will be more complaining once more people realize the figure isn't unique to SDCC. 

Another thought though-  if Hasbro is finally getting tired of the G4 pony/brony thing- (and I think they are if they are no longer willing to put money into unique SDCC figures) - than maybe they would consider letting the MLP Fair have recolored G3 ponies again ????

I don't know who set that up so many years ago now, but maybe it is worth looking into again...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 09:59:59 AM by Galactica »

Offline Noxxbunny

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 30, 2016, 02:20:22 PM »
This figure is definitely not pandering to Bronies. If anything, it may show that Hasbro is no longer valuing the "brony" phenom.  Hasbro is just being cheap here- I mean really-  a repackaged figure? THAT is the exclusive ? Wow. 

I think the ONLY reason more of the Brony community is not complaining about the figure because most of them haven't actually realized that the figure is not unique.

I think there would be/will be more complaining once more people realize the figure isn't unique to SDCC. 

This. I think many people here forget that most bronies are not typically toy collectors, therefore they're not keeping up with merchandise news like we do here. They're not upset because this figure is new to them. And I don't think it's right to bash them either for not knowing something that only collectors and people into the toys would really know about. I'm sure if they all found out what we know, they'd like this "exclusive" a lot less just like we do.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 02:22:21 PM by Noxxbunny »

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #144 on: June 30, 2016, 03:17:01 PM »

This. I think many people here forget that most bronies are not typically toy collectors, therefore they're not keeping up with merchandise news like we do here. They're not upset because this figure is new to them. And I don't think it's right to bash them either for not knowing something that only collectors and people into the toys would really know about. I'm sure if they all found out what we know, they'd like this "exclusive" a lot less just like we do.
What about the ones who follow a certain site that will not be named.
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #145 on: June 30, 2016, 03:31:17 PM »

What on earth. How is a $50 exclusive release at a very expensive convention "for children"? I'm sure some extremely rich parents buy up con exclusives for their kids, but most parents aren't going to shell out $50-100+ for a basic toy, like an MLP, Monster High doll, etc. I've never even heard of a normal kid having an SDCC exclusive toy unless their parent(s) collect and even with collector parents it doesn't seem all that common.

LOL, I'm kind of wondering that myself.

Oh and apparently I'm being 'scolded' for having an opinion again. A new reply just popped up.

Here is the whole conversation together below. I'm kinda like whaa? Since when does me not liking something affect children anywhere??

Me:: I don't like it, sorry. I want ponies to be pretty, beautiful and elegant. Discord is not something I'm interested in as a 30+ year MLP collector.

Facebook Person: It's made for children, not you............

My Reply: #1 why do you care and #2 this is actually a collector item, so this isn't JUST for children it's made to appeal to the adult market as it's a SDCC exclusive....jez. I've also got a right NOT to like it regardless of IF it's for children.

Facebook Fan: You just proved yourself to think you're more important than kids when it comes to children's toys, congratzzzzz

My reply: #1 The item being sold by hasbro is being marketed to adult collectors. So I'm not sure why you are insisting on bringing up children other than your weak attempt to marginalize my personal opinion. #2 you are I'm assuming some kind of adult - so if MLP is for children 'only' then I'd question why you are even here and replying to me since apparently by your standard, we are not supposed to have an opinion on MLP.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Noxxbunny

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 30, 2016, 04:55:49 PM »

if you mean the one that starts with an E, they can simply not read merchandise news posts. I skip over content there that I'm not interested in all the time. If you mean the other site that shall not be named, they usually seem to care about following merchandise even less.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 30, 2016, 05:27:10 PM »

if you mean the one that starts with an E, they can simply not read merchandise news posts. I skip over content there that I'm not interested in all the time. If you mean the other site that shall not be named, they usually seem to care about following merchandise even less.

Most people on those sites are perfectly willing to buy merchandise as long as it meets their standards.

I doubt they will be upset about it if they knew. Probably more like relieved since they can just get the regular release for less. However if they bought it and find the regular release later then they probably will be very upset. That's the situation with the people who got the Fair package with the exclusive. And now they are stuck with it since nobody is going to want to buy it if there is a possibility of a general release. I really think the practice of keeping the exclusive secret needs to stop because if people knew before hand they could just shrug and skip it.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 30, 2016, 05:46:07 PM »

Most people on those sites are perfectly willing to buy merchandise as long as it meets their standards.

I doubt they will be upset about it if they knew. Probably more like relieved since they can just get the regular release for less. However if they bought it and find the regular release later then they probably will be very upset. That's the situation with the people who got the Fair package with the exclusive. And now they are stuck with it since nobody is going to want to buy it if there is a possibility of a general release. I really think the practice of keeping the exclusive secret needs to stop because if people knew before hand they could just shrug and skip it.

I agree this stinks most for Fair attendees who are now stuck with a $50 figure that is pretty expensive for what it is, and which is not going to be very easy to resell. 

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 30, 2016, 06:00:25 PM »

What on earth. How is a $50 exclusive release at a very expensive convention "for children"? I'm sure some extremely rich parents buy up con exclusives for their kids, but most parents aren't going to shell out $50-100+ for a basic toy, like an MLP, Monster High doll, etc. I've never even heard of a normal kid having an SDCC exclusive toy unless their parent(s) collect and even with collector parents it doesn't seem all that common.

LOL, I'm kind of wondering that myself.

Oh and apparently I'm being 'scolded' for having an opinion again. A new reply just popped up.

Here is the whole conversation together below. I'm kinda like whaa? Since when does me not liking something affect children anywhere??

Me:: I don't like it, sorry. I want ponies to be pretty, beautiful and elegant. Discord is not something I'm interested in as a 30+ year MLP collector.

Facebook Person: It's made for children, not you............

My Reply: #1 why do you care and #2 this is actually a collector item, so this isn't JUST for children it's made to appeal to the adult market as it's a SDCC exclusive....jez. I've also got a right NOT to like it regardless of IF it's for children.

Facebook Fan: You just proved yourself to think you're more important than kids when it comes to children's toys, congratzzzzz

My reply: #1 The item being sold by hasbro is being marketed to adult collectors. So I'm not sure why you are insisting on bringing up children other than your weak attempt to marginalize my personal opinion. #2 you are I'm assuming some kind of adult - so if MLP is for children 'only' then I'd question why you are even here and replying to me since apparently by your standard, we are not supposed to have an opinion on MLP.

Some people are just trolls.  Looking to get people riled up.  Their arguments are non-sensical not only for the reason you stated but also because "the kids" would agree with you.  How many children do you see running around with Discord merchandise on?  No, they are running around wearing frilly tutus with pretty ponies on them.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal