collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Any Ferret lovers out there??  (Read 5187 times)

Princess Lala

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Any Ferret lovers out there??
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2015, 07:16:26 AM »
I love the 'crooked nose' ferret even though her nose doesnt look crooked to me!!! I really honestly dont see any flaws, she is ADORABLE!!!!! :lovey:

OMG a ferret shelter!? Thats so awesome!!!!! Im actually very jealous!!! Rescues are always better than buying from a petstore!! I cant wait to see your new fur baby when you get him or her!
 :thumb:

Offline barbgirl1999

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/barbgirl1999
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2015, 10:07:37 AM »
Just for fun...because we like pictures - here's an old shot from when I had my ferrets. 

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

~Rodan+Fields~

jupiternwndrlnd

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2015, 01:08:14 PM »
Shelter ferrets are awesome :D most of my kids where! I always recommend shelter ferrets. And all of mine where past the kit stage when I got them. My first pair where from a pet store, but they weren't babies....but a pair that someone had surrendered to the pet store. The ones that started it all (who are also the inspiration behind my OC pony's symbol....and a tattoo I have been planning)

Princess Lala

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2015, 02:03:59 PM »
Eeeeeeeek! Ohmigosh a white ferret!!!! Absolutely adorable!!!!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 07:25:59 PM by Princess Lala »

Princess Lala

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2015, 07:31:33 PM »
Bumping this because husband is driving me NUTS over here! XD So he wants to get a ferret with this upcoming bonus he is getting in July. We both get paid 3x next month and he has been begging me and talking about it nonstop! I agreed only if he helps me ferret proof! I need to seal off all holes wide enough for a toilet paper roll to fit and put my anime figures and ponies in a display cabnet, which im doing tomorrow when I go to Ikea.

My main concern is the electrical cords to my fishtanks and PS4/TV set- How to I ferret proof that? Is there a clear plastic tubing I can buy to cover it up? Dont want any furballs to get shocked and I know they chew!
 :what:

jupiternwndrlnd

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2015, 07:44:14 PM »
I never had any ferrets chew on electrical cords. They don't chew like rabbits do. But they will go after rubbery thing (like the buttons on the remote, which will cause intestinal blockage) I would watch them closely around cords. (assuming that they will not be in those areas unsupervised)
The most important thing in ferret proofing is plugging holes or anything that they can get into. (also be careful if you have a recliner. they will get up inside and opening the foot rest can crush them)

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2015, 08:15:35 PM »
My ferret doesn't chew on electrical cords.  He'll sometimes wrap himself up in them and roll around, but not for long.  He has plenty of toys to chew on if he wants, but he mostly likes rolling around on/in things and pulling things around with his front legs while scooting backwards. :lol:
Instagram / Want List

Princess Lala

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2015, 04:23:47 AM »
Thankies you two!!! :3 Dont worry, theres no way I would let critters run around my house without supervision!  Luckily I dont have a reclinder and I have a basic rectangle futon as a couch that is risen up on all fours! Im thinking about buying those collapseable infant fences to block off the kitchen. My bedroom is probably the perfect place for them to play as my dresser doesnt have legs and I use a japanese futon bed and all I really have in there is a tv sitting on the ground and a small shelf. Ive heard of this stuff called 'apple bitter spray' to train them not to go near or chew on stuff.

Sorry, one more question! Which kind of brands/cages do you guys use? Im looking at a metal wire cage from All Living Things that is a multi-level ferret home and its bigger than a purple Kaytee one my husband likes.

All Living Things cage

Kaytee Purple

Let me know which one out of the two is best or if there is a better one let me know! :3
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 04:35:21 AM by Princess Lala »

Offline barbgirl1999

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/barbgirl1999
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2015, 06:44:41 AM »
I used that Kaytee ferret home for a little while and I personally didn't like it...but my ferrets liked to unhook the shelves, which made a mess XD  It also didn't take Ron but about a month to figure out how the doors opened, so I had to zip tie them closed and cut them open when I wanted to get into them.  We went through a LOT of ties, lol.  I found the other type of cage to be easier to clean, too. 

~Rodan+Fields~

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2015, 06:54:57 AM »
We have a Kaytee cage, not that exact one, but one like it.  Furret has recently escaped it though, so we have locks on both doors but I really hate locking him in there like that.  We'll probably switch to a bigger, different cage whenever we get a second ferret.
Instagram / Want List

jupiternwndrlnd

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2015, 12:13:00 PM »
Both are good cages, but the All Living Things cage looks like it has a better "lock" on the door. Ferrets are smart little buggers, and if they can figure out how to get out, they will - lol When I had one like the Kaytee, I used to use one of those little clips on the door....it helped, but sometimes they still weasel their way out...tricky little things.
this was one of my favorites....the latches were awesome (and the doors opened up big for easy cleaning) I wish I remembered what the brand is...I want to say Critter Nation, or something. It was kind of like this ferret cage ETA: I should note, on this cage, cut squares of linoleum to cover the wire bottom on the levels, to protect their feet and make a more stable surface

with a plywood half door in the doorway to let them out.

In previous set ups I had them in the livingroom with a plywood door separating the kitchen. I can't seem to find a photo.
They also make playpens. (I had 7 living in a playpen when we had to stay with a friend post Katrina while we were looking for a new house and new ferret cage - haha) like this ferret playpen
Baby gates are usually climbable, because the criss cross pattern makes a perfect wall for a ferret to climb.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 12:16:33 PM by jupiternwndrlnd »

Princess Lala

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2015, 01:09:19 AM »
Thanks so much for the info and really helpful pictures!!!! :3 I went along with the A.L.T. cage!!! The instructions were the worst ever lololol It took me hours to figure out but my friends came into the room and helped me build it!!! Here is what I accomplished so far, but im still missing a ton of stuff!!! Picking up litter, sprays, bath stuff, vitamins, fleece blankets, pillow cases, all that small stuff a later on this week. We are going with a pink and brown theme lol.

So i consulted my vet and if the ferret i get needs shots, she will give me the canine distemper shot and rabies shot for under $10! She is so awesome!!!

We ferret-proofed a lot of stuff today!!! looking into getting a safety fence to block of kitchen. We put this mega thick cardboard we took from work under our doors so they cant get sneak into other rooms lolol!

Also I apologize for telling ya'll my friend uses Rachel Ray cat food! I was mistaken, he corrected me and said he uses this Instincts cat food LOL!  He told me today that commercial ferret food has grains and fillers in it and someone on a forum recondmended Instincts Raw Boost for ferret food since its grain free and lots of fat.
http://www.instinctpetfood.com/product/instinct-raw-boost-grain-free-kibble-indoor-health-cat-food-chicken
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 01:12:53 AM by Princess Lala »

Offline elvenwine26

• Super Secret Squirrel
  • Trade Count: (+143)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2015, 06:30:53 AM »
all these ferrets are so cute!  my friend has an adorable, friendly pair that will take naps on you when they get tuckered out.  They're very dear and wacky creatures. <3
"How much for the horse tornado?"
"Sir, that's a carousel."
"I must have it!"

Princess Lala

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2015, 08:58:54 AM »
Okies, im honestly getting pretty excited now!!! (´°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥ω°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥`) The bulk of the ferret supplies is done! Its almost time to get a ferret but we need to wait for my husbands bonus to hit either the 2nd or 16th of July. In the meantime I will keep getting low to the ground with a toilet paper roll and see if I need to ferret proof anything. Think like a ferret! Eeeeeee!!!!

Ooo! I found this website and I wanted to share with the ferret owners here or anyone here who might be a ferret owner someday!! Its this kibble food ranking chart based on ingredients, protien, and fat. I had no idea that cat food would be better suited for ferrets than actual ferret kibble!

https://sites.google.com/site/sammysclubhouse/moredooksferretfoodchart

Nyssa

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2015, 09:13:16 AM »
Aww ferrets are so cute! I already have 3 cats and a turtle though, and they're a handful.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal