collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Best Job... Worst Job  (Read 1291 times)

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Best Job... Worst Job
« on: June 30, 2014, 08:49:01 PM »
What's the best job you've ever had?
What did you like about it?
What did you dislike?

What's the worst job you've ever had?
Why did you dislike it?

Just curious. :) I just got a new job and am totally hating it so far even though I thought I'd love it.  >_<
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline mellowhen

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Best Job... Worst Job
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 09:09:03 PM »
I wish I knew! I'm fresh outta college so I've never had a "real" job.

I WAS a resident assistant, though. That was both challenging and rewarding. I hated planning events but actually holding them was always fun.

Hope your new job works out for the better!

Gloomygirl777

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 09:16:28 PM »
The best job that I have ever had is probably child care because for me it is very rewarding and I am not really a "people" person but I find it very easy to connect with children and babies.

I have had quite a few other jobs...unfortunately most of them have been restaurant jobs. There have been some that I didn't mind and a couple that I couldn't stand. I think it has a lot to do with the people that you are working with and the environment. Management plays a big part too. But of course considering that I am not a people person...customer service jobs tend to challenge me :lol:

What is it that you are hating about it so far?? Do you think it is just because you are new to it or does it seem like something that isn't going to change??

Offline ponycake

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 09:50:39 PM »
I wish I knew! I'm fresh outta college so I've never had a "real" job.

I WAS a resident assistant, though. That was both challenging and rewarding. I hated planning events but actually holding them was always fun.

Hope your new job works out for the better!

Your art.. it is so cute  :shocked: Are you on Instagram or Tumblr or anything? I must follow you somewhere. And good luck to you as well. :)

The best job that I have ever had is probably child care because for me it is very rewarding and I am not really a "people" person but I find it very easy to connect with children and babies.

I have had quite a few other jobs...unfortunately most of them have been restaurant jobs. There have been some that I didn't mind and a couple that I couldn't stand. I think it has a lot to do with the people that you are working with and the environment. Management plays a big part too. But of course considering that I am not a people person...customer service jobs tend to challenge me :lol:

What is it that you are hating about it so far?? Do you think it is just because you are new to it or does it seem like something that isn't going to change??

I'm used to restaurant jobs, and I'm actually missing it a lot! I think it's because it was a smaller place than where I'm at now, so it was a lot of workers packed closely together and we were such close friends, going to work was like hanging out with your bffs. I miss my old work family a lot! This place is so big that I pretty much work alone, customers are far more annoying, and our duties after we close takes like an hour and we have to help everyone who couldn't do their own cleaning/straightening up so by then I'm just so annoyed. Gah. Side work at the other places I've worked didn't take nearly as long as this place. You could have everything done and ready to go by the time it closed. Not so much here.

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 12:38:02 AM »
Sorry to hear you don't like your job, ponycake.

I am currently self employed.  This is really good because I can sneak out to do odd things for myself during work hours... the downside is I don't get many holidays or sick leave because there is nobody to fill in for me!

Offline moonsugar

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • my Tumblr blog (may occasionally contain adult content)
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 01:15:26 AM »
I just got my first job last week! It's pretty fun- the environment is lovely, and the work is incredibly varied. The only thing I really have to grumble about is my trainer- she can be quite patronising. :razz:

*chatters excitedly* But the best thing is that because it's a hotel with a restaurant we get all the leftover food put in the break room and every day there are pastries and sweet treats and sandwiches and cooked breakfasts and sometimes curry and rice and salads of all kinds and my favourite things are the flaky lime chocolate pastries
:happy:
:fox:

Offline ponycake

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 01:59:36 AM »
Sorry to hear you don't like your job, ponycake.

I am currently self employed.  This is really good because I can sneak out to do odd things for myself during work hours... the downside is I don't get many holidays or sick leave because there is nobody to fill in for me!

That would be lovely! Except for not getting away! :( I'd like to be an illustrator. I wish I could go backward and tell my 18 year old self to get into a nice art school and not pursue the business management degree I'm almost finished with.  :blink: Staying at home and drawing for money would be sweeeet. Well, I imagine so anyway.

I just got my first job last week! It's pretty fun- the environment is lovely, and the work is incredibly varied. The only thing I really have to grumble about is my trainer- she can be quite patronising. :razz:

*chatters excitedly* But the best thing is that because it's a hotel with a restaurant we get all the leftover food put in the break room and every day there are pastries and sweet treats and sandwiches and cooked breakfasts and sometimes curry and rice and salads of all kinds and my favourite things are the flaky lime chocolate pastries
:happy:

Congrats on your new job, and that's an awesome perk! :D So much better than throwing it out like the places I worked at did! We have ice pops in the freezer at work and that's about as good as it gets. :lol: And they're only still there because like no one eats them.

My work is VERY. boring.

Offline Pegaso80

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 03:00:21 AM »
It's unfair having to work in something you don't like if you take into account that it means a part of your daily life and we all need to work mainly to pay bills  :sad:; I'm very lucky cause I've been working as a Secondary teacher since I finished my Modern Languages degree ten years ago and I really love it.
Hope you get the most of your new job and try to enjoy it!
:rainbow: Nemo patriam quia magna est amat, sed quia sua (Séneca)
Beati Hispani quibus vivere bibere est (Iulius Caesar) :rainbow:

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 05:14:13 AM »
Sorry to hear about the job situation; hopefully it will improve for you soon!

The best job I ever had was in a book shop. That was incredible fun and the people there were a totally awesome bunch; it was like going to work with your best friends every day! The only thing I disliked about it was that it was only a temporary contract. XD

As for the worst job, that was in a warehouse; it was monotonous, uninspiring and generally unpleasant. The only saving grace of that job was the occasional funny thing coming up on the radio. I was very glad to be out of there!

Offline mellowhen

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 07:47:19 AM »
Your art.. it is so cute  :shocked: Are you on Instagram or Tumblr or anything? I must follow you somewhere. And good luck to you as well. :)

Thank you! I'm kinda dead on tumblr but I post frequently to my deviantart (mellowhen) and furaffinity (kittygurl521).

I'd like to be an illustrator. I wish I could go backward and tell my 18 year old self to get into a nice art school and not pursue the business management degree I'm almost finished with.  :blink: Staying at home and drawing for money would be sweeeet. Well, I imagine so anyway.

I'm kinda having the opposite problem. I'm done with art school but have no idea how to market myself or even figure out prices for my work @_@ My Dad is always picking on me for doing 2 character illustrations for 40USD

Offline wyndeboo

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 08:00:16 AM »
the best job was working for the art department in college. I loved everything about it. and my boss was amazing

worst job is the one i have now. i work for a major retailer. i love my coworkers, but the higher management could use some major people skills. most of the customers are nice and some are just whiny and freaking intolerable. always wanting something for free. however it pays the bills and leaves some extra pony money. so I work to support my pony habit :)

Offline Hervoyel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toy Box Revenge
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 09:02:37 AM »
I've been lucky in that I've never had a truly horrible job.

That said, when I was in university I worked in a call centre that was terribly mismanaged, but since I was only part time it didn't have a huge impact on my life - I really felt for the people who were working there full time though.

As for best jobs, I'm fairly happy where I am now (IT within a telco) because I have a huge amount of flexibility and freedom, although my actually work is getting to be a bit dry.  And I also had a great deal of fun working for a small film production company when I was newly graduated, but the pay wasn't great in that case.

In general though, I've never had too much to complain about.

Blog

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 09:13:17 AM »
I love being ECE..it makes me happy.

But sometimes there are days where you just want to tear your hair out. Some of my placements have actually rendered me to tears because of the people working there and how I was treated back in college.  My absolute weakness though is if someone gets sick.  I cant really handle cleaning that up without getting sick myself :/

I like drawing too (yes its a 'job', I get paid for it)..but I have a damaged nerve in my arm that makes it difficult.

Also loved helping mom out with her personal business when it was active.  Im not really a people person (shocking since I went into ECE I know) but I was able to sell her wares fine.

I don't think ive really had a job that I hated to the ground---if you don't count some of my placements.  Then again, as a teenager, I was volunteering more then actually working so

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 10:25:07 AM »
I think the best job I had was during a summer when I painted houses. I was outdoor, alone with my walkman (oh, back in the days) and ruled myself.

Worst job was at a Grocery store. I loved my coworkers and I miss them like crazy but the upper management and some customers where just horrible. I felt downgraded to something nonhuman and were always tired and teary eyed when I came home.

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 11:21:28 AM »
I haven't had any paid work I've loved.  If you count volunteering, my best job was at the National Zoo in Australia.  I used to do enrichment, and seriously they had me training Red Pandas so they could be handled by vets without having to tranquilize them.  I got to play with Red Pandas for two hours a day.  Also I made toys for all kinds of animals. Played with monkeys if they had to be kept in their dens while work was happening in their yards.  Hand fed and walked dingoes.  It was kind of fantastic.

Paid work wise, I don't really know.  I've mostly just worked retail and all my retail jobs have had something happen with them that was pretty awful.  I guess I could say for most of my jobs the best things were the friends I made in the job, and the worst was the mind games management liked to play.  Pretty much without fail all the jobs I've had management would play stupid mind games.  You may think I'm paranoid about that, but one of them admitted it to me once.  It was stupid.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal