collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Kids films that give you nightmares  (Read 6722 times)

Offline doxiechic16

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Kids films that give you nightmares
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2014, 07:15:30 PM »
Oh, I thought of another movie with scary parts that freaked me out as a kid, The Secret of Nimh!  Now that I think about it, I don't think I ever mad it though the whole movie.   :huh:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2014, 07:34:07 AM »
Oh, I thought of another movie with scary parts that freaked me out as a kid, The Secret of Nimh!  Now that I think about it, I don't think I ever mad it though the whole movie.   :huh:

Goodness me! That's terrifying. I have this idea that cartoons can be more scary than real life. I think Watership down is the best example of this. The section in the youtube video on the OP illustrates this to a T. While it scared the life out of me maybe it's also the first time I appreciated modern art? It's very abstract in places. I read the book of the Rats of Nimh at school but couldn't watch the whole cartoon either. Just too much for me. I guess the questions is should kids be exposed to stuff like that?
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline mellowhen

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2014, 08:03:07 AM »
Not sure why, but I was always terrified by the Fizzy Lifting Drink scene towards the end of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. But I loved the boat tunnel scene! I just don't get it.

I guess I just hate seeing characters getting in trouble.

Ariadna

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2014, 08:41:44 AM »
I'll just leave this here

OH LAWDY THAT SCARED ME SO MUCH AS A KID! THEIR EYES!! :O (not my scary pic)

The Labyrinth creeped me out and gave me nightmares. As an adult and rewatching it, THE TIGHTS OH MY GOSH!! :S Not only that, but why does it look like the world of the Labyrinth had a war with a large pot of ultra fine glitter and lost badly, even the garbage tip is glittery! What the?
I hated the helping hands, scared me heaps when I was little!

Return to Oz, that princess/royal type who had a collection of heads for fashion purposes, and they were all alive even when in cabinets not in use. Yep, nothing like a hall of disembodied, screaming and shouting heads used by some witch as fashion accessories. *shudder*

flyawayraven

« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2014, 09:40:47 AM »
I'm rather surprised there isn't more Don Bluth on this list. O.o The man's bread and butter was making animated movies that basically scared children into behaving.

Case in point, All Dogs Go to Heaven. The cat devil thing oh my god that was scary! D:

Offline ponybabe

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2014, 10:25:19 AM »
I was also terrified by "Watership Down" as a kid :shocked: My parents bought it thinking it was a cute bunny movie and that I'd like it because I was (and still am) a huge animal nut >_< Yeah wasn't what they expected -_- I have since read the book numerous times and love it and have the movie on DVD and actually enjoy watching it once in a while. But yeah, scary movie for a little kid.

Otherwise not much else. I did see some of Stephen King's "It" when I was a kid and was totally freaked out by that movie :yikes:

Many thanks to Nence for my adorable sig with my cat Chani in it and Btd for my lovely avatar!

Offline pyrodarknessanny

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • banannas
    • View Profile
    • Pyrodarknessanny's ko-fi
« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2014, 10:38:53 AM »
know what one we've all over looked so far?

NEVER ENDING STORY!

the first land before time  had some scary screens in it too.

tim burtorns Coraline  scares the crap outta me and its not that old  ... darn button eyes *shudders* 
its just ...... wrong ....

Labyrinth was pretty scary too

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2014, 10:45:42 AM »
I couldn't think of anything until I started reading this.  :lol:

I don't know if they made me have nightmares necessarily (I had/have chronic nightmares for as long as I can remember) but I know they made me cry and feel sick. Now that I think of them all together, no wonder I was such a stressed-out kid! The 70's and 80's were just creepy for kids shows.

Everything Don Bluth creeped me out, Return to Oz (so scary!), Gollem from the Hobbit and that Drunk Skeleton from the Last Unicorn, I LOVE Labyrinth, but I agree that those fireys are really sinister, and the list goes on... There was a lot of death and demonic-type characters in that period. No wonder we all need anti-depressants!

I was 17 when I saw the Brave Little Toaster and HATED IT. SO MUCH. My baby brother loved it and had to watch it every day  -_-. So super annoying.

Did you guys ever watch those Ewoks movies? The Battle for Endor and I know there was a sequel. The bad guys were so creepy. And while I love Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang, the 'child catcher' was/is so freaking scary.

Offline ponybanker

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2014, 10:46:42 AM »
The Dark Crystal scared the crap out of me as a kid, even now lol.

Offline Sumire

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2014, 12:41:19 PM »

That movie definitely came to mind for me. I watched it recently and remembered it being so much scarier. The kids' movie that frightened me the most as a child was "Pee-wee's Big Adventure." I think we watched it in school as I didn't like Pee-wee Herman. I was terrified of Large Marge. For years I couldn't stand windows which remained uncovered after dark because I always thought I could see that face reflected in the glass. I'm 36 now and every so often the memory floats to mind and it still unnerves me.

The fear that had the biggest impact on my movie viewing and even my book reading was my dread stemming from "The Last Unicorn." Recently I had a chance to watch the remastered film presented by Peter S. Beagle himself. I was actually a little anxious but I had a wonderful time. I can't believe I avoided it for more than twenty years. Even more oddly I watched it at a babysitter's house along with "The Princess Bride" and I refused to watch "The Princess Bride" again until I was in college! I couldn't remember why exactly but that double feature set off warning bells and I heeded them despite all my friends' gushing. Whatever scared me, it was really deeply ingrained!
If wishes were horses, they'd be My Little Ponies.
Thanks to moonflower for my adorable adoptable!

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2014, 12:45:55 PM »

That movie definitely came to mind for me. I watched it recently and remembered it being so much scarier. The kids' movie that frightened me the most as a child was "Pee-wee's Big Adventure." I think we watched it in school as I didn't like Pee-wee Herman. I was terrified of Large Marge. For years I couldn't stand windows which remained uncovered after dark because I always thought I could see that face reflected in the glass. I'm 36 now and every so often the memory floats to mind and it still unnerves me.

The fear that had the biggest impact on my movie viewing and even my book reading was my dread stemming from "The Last Unicorn." Recently I had a chance to watch the remastered film presented by Peter S. Beagle himself. I was actually a little anxious but I had a wonderful time. I can't believe I avoided it for more than twenty years. Even more oddly I watched it at a babysitter's house along with "The Princess Bride" and I refused to watch "The Princess Bride" again until I was in college! I couldn't remember why exactly but that double feature set off warning bells and I heeded them despite all my friends' gushing. Whatever scared me, it was really deeply ingrained!

That's really interesting. I di remember the idea of her being hunted by the Red Bull made me feel a little sick but I was never really scared by Mommy Fortuna, Mabrook, the Skeleton, King Haggard ha ha there were more baddies than goodies in that film and they were all pretty scary. The Douglas Fir really freaked me out. But I think I must have watched it several times and now as an adult it is one of my favourite films. I watch it around once a year. I just love the art and the music. Maybe I did have to get over a dose of fear when I re-discovered it as an adult but I don't remember it now. I do remember watching Watership Down and The Rats of Nimh as a young adult and still being upset by them, I don't think that's gonna change so I have no intention of trying to watch them again :lookround:
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2014, 12:52:02 PM »
I never got any nightmares from kids movies. I really disliked ET and Wallace and Gromit but they just grossed me out. I was never scared.

I remember when I was around seven and watching a cartoon of rabbits who fought and bled at christmas at my grandparents and was intrigued but never got to see the end as we was about to eat. When I later in adulthood read Watership down and realised it must be the movie as well I searched, found and bought it on DVD straight away. I also really enjoyed The Labyrinth and all of Don Bluths movies as a kid as well. The Neverending Story was and still is one of my favorite movies.

Someone asked earlier in this thread if these shows are ok for kids and I would say to each their own. I never had a problem or nightmares. Heck, I watched Silver Fang as a four year old without getting harmed.

SwiftheartBabbit

« Reply #87 on: June 02, 2014, 03:09:19 PM »
Oh, and just in case you needed justification of my childhood fear/adult creep factor of Cookie Monster, I will drop this here. HE HAS TEETH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJVU-7WinQc

Oh man. Those teeth are so, so wrong. The IBM Muppet creeps me out a bit, too!  :P

I don't recall too many movies creeping me out (I think it was because I was a sensitive kid, so my parents mostly knew better than to try to get me to watch the likes of "The Dark Crystal"), but I did have legit nightmares about the original "Electric Company" on PBS. Did not like the announcer screaming, "HEY YOU GUYS!" at the beginning. AT. ALL.  >_<

flyawayraven

« Reply #88 on: June 02, 2014, 04:28:32 PM »
Oh I remembered another one!

When I was six or seven, Disney did a theatrical re-release of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, so my mom took me to see it. The scene where the Evil Queen turns into the hag and the creepy poison apple? Nope, nope, nope, NOPE. My mother was still scared by that scene even after seeing it as a kid.

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #89 on: June 02, 2014, 04:39:35 PM »
A lot of things that were supposed to be scary for children never freaked me out too much? I always got scared by silly things.

Like here's a weird one, Invader Zim didn't freak me out but the opening to it did. Those wires spewed out all over the house terrified me for some reason. So if I watched the opening I couldnt watch the show but if I turned the channel and it was already on I had no problem with it.
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal