collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Kids films that give you nightmares  (Read 6692 times)

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
Kids films that give you nightmares
« on: May 30, 2014, 12:06:05 PM »
Found this helpful review on YouTube.

Watership Down isn't a kids film IMHO, it's like saying 'When the Wind Blows' is a kids film! Eek!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3_1cLWREIY

Ugh, I think I just realised why I have claustrophobia! Wish I hadn't watched that one again!!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 12:08:27 PM by Artemesia Floc »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline pyrodarknessanny

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • banannas
    • View Profile
    • Pyrodarknessanny's ko-fi
Re: Kids films that give you nightmares
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 12:44:10 PM »
I LOVE Water ship down!

Animal Farm was another  rather morbid animated movie

Rainfeather

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 12:54:37 PM »
IT. For sure. I couldn's sleap and went downstairs when my parents watched it... and saw a certain scene... for months I didn't dare to go to the bathroom with the door closed... I was SO scared blood would come out of the sink...

For the rest, I didn't think movies were scary... just not fun to look at. Like these series 'The Animals of Farthing Wood' I kinda disliked... too grim

I have the same when older now. I don't like stories wich have the negative elements of live in them. Like movies about the sadness of a housewive, once full on dreams, now commiting suicide beacuse life has betrayed her... yuk. Or that movie 'thirtheen'. I like it when movies trigger my fantsay to have hope and dreams.
I like movies to escape from reality. 

flyawayraven

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 12:57:23 PM »
The Brave Little Toaster. I had so many nightmares because of that movie. D:

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 01:11:16 PM »
wizard of oz!!!

I still hate that movie to this day because of it.

yet I can watch the second one with no problems  :huh:

Rainfeather

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 01:26:46 PM »
Oh and Chucky. Same story. This 5 year old friend showed it to me, al I remenber was the scene where his hand was cut of and he pushed a hook in this cut-of arm  :X

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 01:32:45 PM »
I can't think of any children's movies that gave me nightmares.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline daydreamwinn

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+106)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 01:36:19 PM »
wizard of oz!!!

I still hate that movie to this day because of it.

yet I can watch the second one with no problems  :huh:

How about Return to Oz??  For the longest time, I wasn't sure whether that movie was a dream I had or a real movie!

Offline Spectrum

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • no bass in the jazz room
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 01:45:42 PM »
I looove Watership Down.

The only movie I can think of, which was rated PG 13 anyways, but could be easily mistaken for a children's movie because animated talking dogs, was Plague Dogs because it was extremely depressing and gave some disturbing imagery.

Rainfeather

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 01:50:33 PM »
Oooh it;s kids movies! Now I understand why nobody gave the 'common answers'!  :biggrin:

Kids stories... no... I guess that farting animals series was the scariest...

No!
I truly had nightmares about 'Alfred J. Kwak'  I don't know in how many countries it aired... but it had like adult themes. This crow 'Dolf' who was Hitler, episodes about over-fishing, serious stuff. Scary. Not fun. At one point Alfred's friend Winny had to go out of the country because she was black... another episode his father had got to get out of the country because he was a mole... and Alfred was a duck... pfff.

wikipedia says it has been aired in these languages:  Dutch, French, Japanese, Greek, English, Italian, Spanish, Hebrew, Arabic, Hungarian, Finnish, Serbian, Polish, German, Swedish, Danish, Icelandic, Chinese, Czech, Korean and Norwegian.

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 02:17:02 PM »
What is "Flowers for Algernon" considered?  Kid's movie or not, it scared the bejeebus out of me!

flyawayraven

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 02:25:29 PM »
I looove Watership Down.

The only movie I can think of, which was rated PG 13 anyways, but could be easily mistaken for a children's movie because animated talking dogs, was Plague Dogs because it was extremely depressing and gave some disturbing imagery.

Funnily enough, Plague Dogs was written by the same author as Watership Down. :)

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 02:38:03 PM »
Gremlins and Ghost Busters (actually, really the cartoon series, embarrassingly enough). They didn't exactly give me nightmares, and they're not specifically kid's movies, but they did scare me a lot, and did both have marketing towards kids.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 02:38:25 PM »
There is this beautifully drawn/animated movie- Raggedy Ann & Andy, "A Musical Adventure"  -  it is definitely FOR kids- but there are some parts that gave me nightmares.

1) There is this deeply disturbing part where they fall into this lake of living Taffy that wants to eat them, and they are struggling to be free- and eventually win only by tricking him into eating himself of something...

Also-  there was a deeply depressed Camel character that was abandoned by his last home, and due to his depression/attachment disorder he would occasionally fall into these hallucinations that would lure him into running headlong into danger....

How about Return to Oz??  For the longest time, I wasn't sure whether that movie was a dream I had or a real movie!

Yes- that was a seriously dark and scary movie as a kid!  Especially the beginning when poor Dorothy was in the evil mental hospital-

Seriously they would never have kids movies like this anymore...

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 02:43:08 PM »
I *hated* Watership Downs when I was a kid.  I saw it on tv when I was pretty little(like 4 or 5).  I watched it because I loved bunnies and I was expecting a cute bunny movie when I saw the commercials.  I did not get a cute bunny movie.  So much blood!  So much death!  Even the animation style disturbed me.  That movie messed me up something awful, and to this day I still can't watch it. 

I actually had to read the book for an English class in high school, and when I saw that on the syllabus I freaked out.  I dreaded it all semester, but once I started reading the book, I loved it!  The book fantastic, but I will hate that movie until the day I die.

Other than that, I don't think any kids movie really bothered me much.  I even sat through Dark Crystal in theaters as a wee thing without batting an eye.  My dad took me, and he thought I'd be crying and begging to leave within the first 5 minutes of the film.  I saw Ghostbusters when it came out(I was pretty little), and my mom thought I'd be having hysterics after the first scare in the beginning.  Didn't phase me at all.

Non-kids movies sometimes got me.  I saw Jaws when I was 6, and that was a huge mistake too:p  A very hard to find movie called "Island of Terror" really scared me too.  I spent a week refusing to leave the couch because I thought the monsters were everywhere, and if I walked through any doorway, they'd drop down and get me.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal