collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Kids films that give you nightmares  (Read 6731 times)

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
Re: Kids films that give you nightmares
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2014, 08:39:27 PM »
E.T.

The scene where he was sick and turning white gave me nightmares for weeks.

Offline Saber-Toothed Crow

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2014, 08:44:53 PM »
ET. I still hate ET to this day. The cornfield scene, and especially the scene where he's hiding in the stuffed animals. I was convinced my plush toys were harbouring aliens  for months after I saw that movie. Didn't help that my one aunt loved ET and had a room full of ET merch that would be inflicted on my every time I visited. Though to be fair I never told anyone ET scared me :P She even gave me an ET bubble bath for my birthday - I had to stare at the evil thing every time I took a bath :lol:

Oh, not really I kids show, but I was also afraid of the Price is Right Wheel. I had the weirdest fears as a kid.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks Jennifer2004 for my sig and Shaiyeh for my avi! ~formerly Crowpriest~

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2014, 08:57:12 PM »
The Brave Little Toaster. I had so many nightmares because of that movie. D:

OMG yes.  When the window fan started getting angry, because he couldn't move.  When the appliances were in that used appliance store (or whatever it is) and they did that song and the old fashioned scary music.  Also, when the appliances were in the forest with the creepy trees.  I mean, I can watch it now obviously without being scared but when I was a kid those were the parts that scared me.
That magnet thing in the junkyard, and the sound it makes, is freaking terrifying.  :whoa:

Oddly several of those movies in that video you posted, Artemesia, were and still are some of my very favorites.  :P I didn't find them scary at all as a kid.

Offline Mkia

• Chihuahua Momma
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Flying zebra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2014, 10:10:46 PM »
I was so terrified of the movie, The Pagemaster as a kid. I thought the idea of the movie was great but every time I watched it I got nightmares.

Offline Calico_Star

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2014, 10:55:40 PM »

OMG yes.  When the window fan started getting angry, because he couldn't move.  When the appliances were in that used appliance store (or whatever it is) and they did that song and the old fashioned scary music.  Also, when the appliances were in the forest with the creepy trees.  I mean, I can watch it now obviously without being scared but when I was a kid those were the parts that scared me.

This! There were so many screwed up things about that movie! I re-watched it a year or so ago, and omg how on earth is any of that movie okay for children? Isn't there a scene where the toaster is dreaming that he's being chased by an armed clown, and in the end of the dream falls into a bathtub and electrocutes himself??

The part that got me as a kid was when the vacuum starts to vacuum up its own cord. I would not vacuum for years and years and YEARS because I was afraid I'd run over the cord and it'd suck itself up and short circuit or something.

I was so terrified of the movie, The Pagemaster as a kid. I thought the idea of the movie was great but every time I watched it I got nightmares.

That one was pretty questionable too. Most of it I was okay with, but the whole Dr.Jekyll/Mr.Hyde part was pretty terrifying!

And has anyone seen Little Nemo's Adventures in Slumberland? There's one part where ominous dark smoke is seeping under a doorway. You can't even seen the villain, it's just the smoke under the doorway. I would have to leave the room because that scene terrified me. As I recall, I was fine with the actual villain :P

:heart: My Deviantart :heart: Commissions: Closed

Luna Princess

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2014, 11:10:31 PM »
Monster house was very creepy, but it will never come close to the one below.  :shocked:

Coraline was so bone chilling. I will never in my life buy a doll with button eyes. It just gives me the willies just thinking about it.

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2014, 11:19:45 PM »
There is this beautifully drawn/animated movie- Raggedy Ann & Andy, "A Musical Adventure"  -  it is definitely FOR kids- but there are some parts that gave me nightmares.

1) There is this deeply disturbing part where they fall into this lake of living Taffy that wants to eat them, and they are struggling to be free- and eventually win only by tricking him into eating himself of something...

OH MY GOD THAT WAS REAL?

I thought that was a hallucination I had as a child when I had an extremely bad fever.

Post Merge: May 30, 2014, 06:20:55 PM

Hmmm as a kid and even as an adult The Wizard of Oz is something I won't watch. The munchkins used to give me nightmares. Flying monkey bats are fine but not those creepy cherub looking people.

aw, little people aren't creepy.

It has nothing to do with them being little.  The majority of my family is actually really really small. It's those faces that will forever terrify me in the night...those weird cherub demon faces.

Also, I remember my mother reading to me the stories, but I did not know there was a movie for Raggedy Ann and Andy. :blink:
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2014, 11:21:22 PM »
When I was little, about five or six, I remember my mom flipping through the television channels trying to find a show for us. She found an animated movie, and all I remember of it was that some animals - I think they were moles? - were talking about a war the humans were fighting, I believe it was WWII. It showed a scene with mustard gas, and the soldiers fleeing for their lives.  :yikes: I don't know what the title was, but even as a teen I think it would still haunt me just as badly.

I think I might remember this... was it an old MGM-type of cartoon? It starts off around Christmas time and the moles have been living in abandoned human homes, and are singing O Little Town of Bethlehem. At the line "And praises sing to God the King and peace to men on earth," the little baby mole asks "what's a men" and his grandpa tells him about how WWII had completely destroyed mankind entirely. I'm afraid that's all I remember- I've only seen it once or twice. I can imagine a lot of stations not really being comfortable with airing it, especially around Christmastime.

I could be thinking of something completely different though. :blush:

As for me, I don't think there are any two things that traumatized me more than Triton destroying Ariel's collection in The Little Mermaid, and Scar's death in The Lion King. I had this crazy nightmare when I was 5 in which my mom and I were spying on but hiding from the hyenas as they ate Scar's carcass, and they were lined up with plates and forks just cutting off pieces of his body. It was like a buffet line. Yeah, somebody couldn't watch The Lion King until she was almost a teenager! Once I got over that dream, it actually became one of my very favorite movies. :)

Also, was anyone else here afraid of Sesame Street? I was okay with some of the characters, namely Big Bird and Ernie, but I was pretty scared of a lot of characters and absolutely TERRIFIED of Cookie Monster. Stop and think about it... Cookie Monster is a pretty scary idea for a character in a kids show. He does nothing but shout and eat things... that's pretty intense for a 3-year-old!

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2014, 11:22:09 PM »
I freaked out in the movie theatre during The Beauty and the Beast. (uh now I'm showing my age!) In that scene where the beast goes a bit crazy tearing the castle apart. I never did get quite why that scared me so much - but now I'm thinking it's pretty similar to something that happened in my childhood... I thought I was a tougher kid than that, heh.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2014, 11:25:40 PM »
I freaked out in the movie theatre during The Beauty and the Beast. (uh now I'm showing my age!) In that scene where the beast goes a bit crazy tearing the castle apart. I never did get quite why that scared me so much - but now I'm thinking it's pretty similar to something that happened in my childhood... I thought I was a tougher kid than that, heh.

I couldn't watch BATB for many years because... more embarrassingly... I was afraid of Cogsworth. :lol:

These days that movie is also up there with The Lion King as some of my favorites though.

Offline Aitsuki

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2014, 11:28:14 PM »
*shudders* The Adventure of Little Nemo. And The Neverending Story. I would cry and freak out at those movies. Nightmares for days!

Post Merge: May 30, 2014, 11:31:35 PM

And has anyone seen Little Nemo's Adventures in Slumberland? There's one part where ominous dark smoke is seeping under a doorway. You can't even seen the villain, it's just the smoke under the doorway. I would have to leave the room because that scene terrified me. As I recall, I was fine with the actual villain :P

This one, this one! This is what I'm talking about! I was crying so hard after a nightmare from this movie!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 11:31:35 PM by Aitsuki »
My 3DS Friend Code (Playing Pokemon Moon): 2938-6334-2129

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2014, 11:49:50 PM »
:like: this thread! You guys are bringing up all of my childhood fears. :) I'm laughing as I read this.

Humorously enough, my mom was afraid that Rescue at Midnight Castle would scare me, but I don't remember ever being bothered by that movie. Not sure why, since it does involve shrieking dragons and innocent ponies getting kidnapped and thrown into prison and nearly drowning, etc. . . . but I liked it. :) In fact, that scenario was replayed in my pony games.

Animal Farm was another  rather morbid animated movie

Yes. Not made for kids, necessarily, as others have pointed out, but a very sad movie. When Boxer (the horse) was sold to the glue factory, my sister and I cried inconsolably and stopped watching. My poor parents. :) We were only a little happier when we made little "Boxers" of our own out of socks stuffed with something . . . I guess it helped us imagine he wasn't gone . . .

The scene where things (rats?) are trying to drag Blankey down a hole! That scared me terribly. Why, oh, why would they put that in a kid's movie?

I *hated* Watership Downs when I was a kid.  I saw it on tv when I was pretty little(like 4 or 5).  I watched it because I loved bunnies and I was expecting a cute bunny movie when I saw the commercials.  I did not get a cute bunny movie.  So much blood!  So much death!  Even the animation style disturbed me.  That movie messed me up something awful, and to this day I still can't watch it. 

I actually had to read the book for an English class in high school, and when I saw that on the syllabus I freaked out.  I dreaded it all semester, but once I started reading the book, I loved it!  The book fantastic, but I will hate that movie until the day I die.

Yes -- all I remember of Watership Downs, which I also saw when I was 5ish, is bunnies clawing each other and the impression of blood. Not enjoyable. I might like the book now, though, if I read it.

The "Night on Bald Mountain" part of Fantasia scared me soooo much when I was a kid!  I loved the cute parts of Fantasia, but I just couldn't do this part!   :cry:

Yep, I wouldn't watch it, either; too scary. Incidentally, I loved the sequence with the pegasi and unicorns.

As for me, I don't think there are any two things that traumatized me more than Triton destroying Ariel's collection in The Little Mermaid, and Scar's death in The Lion King. I had this crazy nightmare when I was 5 in which my mom and I were spying on but hiding from the hyenas as they ate Scar's carcass, and they were lined up with plates and forks just cutting off pieces of his body. It was like a buffet line. Yeah, somebody couldn't watch The Lion King until she was almost a teenager! Once I got over that dream, it actually became one of my very favorite movies. :)

In The Little Mermaid, my parents tell me Ursula scared me terribly. And my friend and I were just lamenting how sad it is in The Lion King when Simba tries to get his dad to "wake up" after the wildebeest stampede. :cry: I still loved The Lion King, though.

*shudders* The Adventure of Little Nemo. And The Neverending Story. I would cry and freak out at those movies. Nightmares for days!

I didn't like The Neverending Story; it was a very sad movie for a kid to watch. I did like the poodle-dragon, though.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2014, 04:59:59 AM »
Waaa three pages!

Too many to reply in one go. Need to go shopping will check back later

CXx

Post Merge: May 31, 2014, 05:01:05 AM

:like: this thread! You guys are bringing up all of my childhood fears. :) I'm laughing as I read this.

Humorously enough, my mom was afraid that Rescue at Midnight Castle would scare me, but I don't remember ever being bothered by that movie. Not sure why, since it does involve shrieking dragons and innocent ponies getting kidnapped and thrown into prison and nearly drowning, etc. . . . but I liked it. :) In fact, that scenario was replayed in my pony games.

At least ponies didn't actually drown  :)
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Rainfeather

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2014, 05:15:22 AM »
Ooooh the goosebump series! especially the one where a persons bed was FILLED with worms... eek I hate worms. Or was that 'are you afraid of the dark?'.

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2014, 05:19:56 AM »

Yes, me too! Not a lot of children's films freaked me out, even Brave Little Toaster, but for some reason that movie really scared me and gave me nightmares. I remember the Dr. Jekyll, Mr. Hide scenes were definitely one of the culprits.

Ooooh the goosebump series! especially the one where a persons bed was FILLED with worms... eek I hate worms. Or was that 'are you afraid of the dark?'.

I forgot to even consider that, but yes that series gave me nightmares too! In particular, the episode where a girl found a mask and eventually couldn't remove it; I stopped watching the series after my nightmare where I couldn't take off a gross evil mask.
Sig by Corona
Wish List

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal