collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

thoughts on the SDCC exclusive?

want the pony & spike
want the doll
want both
don't want either
*shakes fist @ hasbro!*

Author Topic: SDCC exclusive - EXCLUSIVES ON HASBRO TOYSHOP  (Read 44864 times)

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: SDCC exclusive
« Reply #105 on: May 15, 2014, 08:54:48 AM »

"General FireFly" was not a shout-out to G1 Firefly, according to a tweet from one of the people working on the show, so I doubt it.

O.o how could it not be? Even if we didn't see art of her, having a character sharing the same name and species as a G1 pony can't be a coincidence.
I think they said it was a homage to Lauren Faust (who goes by Fyre-flye on DA)

diamondshy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #106 on: May 15, 2014, 08:56:52 AM »
"General FireFly" was not a shout-out to G1 Firefly, according to a tweet from one of the people working on the show, so I doubt it.

O.o how could it not be? Even if we didn't see art of her, having a character sharing the same name and species as a G1 pony can't be a coincidence.

From what I heard, it was a really weird recursive reference.  Technically they were doing homage to Lauren Faust's dA account, which has "firefly" in the name, which in turn was inspired by the G1 pony.  I prefer to just think of it as the pony, myself.  :P

I didn't even think about Power Ponies being a possibility until someone mentioned it here.  I'd *love* to see something like that.  In a perfect world, it'd be an original sculpt of the Mane-iac.  Guess I can keep dreaming though~

EDIT: ninja'd!

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 15, 2014, 10:15:40 AM »
Haha that's true, if Lauren's DA username is inspired by G1 Firefly I guess technically we could say the G4 character "General Firefly" is inspired by G1 Firefly in a roundabout way. But yeah, the person who worked on the show specifically said in a tweet something like "No, it's not a reference to G1 Firefly, it's a reference to Lauren Faust."

I thought it weird at the time that she would specifically point out it was NOT a G1 reference. Apparently she felt that was important for her to include in the tweet.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #108 on: May 15, 2014, 12:36:32 PM »
So after centering a whole episode around

Spoiler
Tirac

the show's writers don't know who G1 Firefly is??  BRB, laughing forever!  But yeah, if they named it after her DA account and her DA account is named after Firefly . . . well then.  Still a reference.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2014, 03:53:29 PM »
i acutly  wouldnt mind  a "power ponies" set.  as long as it was well done.. and not cheaped out on, or too   guady.
I think that would be great for a comic convention exclusive, but I don't expect Hasbro to do anything but paint the details on the existing G4 molds if this is the exclusive.

i think painting them on is going to be expecting too much of them.. i except them to be stickers  and    possibly  paper...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sprinklecupcake

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #110 on: May 18, 2014, 12:10:57 AM »
About two months (its in July, right?) until Comic Con aaand Hasbro still only announced Star Wars exlcusive. Isnt the Pony Fair soon? They need to hurry up, although im setting my standards for the MLP exclusive low so I wont be dissapointed.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 12:13:34 AM by Sprinklecupcake »

Offline babylicketysplit

• Bionic Spine Pony
  • Trade Count: (+49)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • In Spite of your Fear, Do what You have to Do
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #111 on: May 18, 2014, 09:19:17 PM »
wow  what a jerk...  its pretty odd to have an animation team member specifically say it NOT a g1 reference...   all hail goddess faust apparently LMAO...:P

Well i will just enjoy thinking of g1 firefly then.

and hasbro is really cutting it close this year. hmmm  i really do hope its something good this year
Check out my  Esty Shop  and MyEbay Sales!
 (Profits are going to help pay for my Rescue Horse's medical bills) <3
http://myworld.ebay.com/baby_licketysplit
http://www.etsy.com/shop/PoniesAndPets

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #112 on: May 19, 2014, 05:22:29 AM »

Spoiler
Tirac

the show's writers don't know who G1 Firefly is??  BRB, laughing forever!  But yeah, if they named it after her DA account and her DA account is named after Firefly . . . well then.  Still a reference.
Well to me that just says the writer(s) didn't like ponies way back when or they would have known G1 Firefly xD
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 19, 2014, 06:56:37 AM »

Spoiler
Tirac

Well to me that just says the writer(s) didn't like ponies way back when or they would have known G1 Firefly xD

I think the point is that the writers *had* to have watched Rescue at Midnight Castle at some point when preparing to write the most recent episodes.  They clearly did some kind of research in order to design Tirek, include a reference to Scorpan and the Rainbow of Light, etc.

On top of that, It is my understanding that Firefly is pretty popular among a lot of bronies.  Considering how in tune the writers of the show are to certain parts of the fandom, I find it very unlikely that they didn't know who Firefly was.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 19, 2014, 08:18:40 AM »
Arg.  I keep checking back in here when there is a new post hoping the pony has been announced, but nope....

Offline Dashy77

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 19, 2014, 08:17:10 PM »
Arg.  I keep checking back in here when there is a new post hoping the pony has been announced, but nope....

same

Offline Navi

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 19, 2014, 09:43:37 PM »

same

Double same   :P
 :heart: Minty! :heart:

Seeking Petite Ponies (trade/wish list)
Formerly known as navichan.

Offline Aquatic Neon

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #117 on: May 19, 2014, 09:48:10 PM »

same

Double same   :P

Triple same.

For Sale Wants

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2014, 09:52:39 PM »
I think there's a difference between not knowing who Firefly is and not naming a pony after her. I (roughly) know who Alexander the Great was, but if I have a son and name him Alex, it's possible for me to do so without specifically naming him after Alexander the Great.

Offline Dusky

• Trade Count: (+134)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Clockwork Firebird Designs
« Reply #119 on: May 20, 2014, 05:20:01 AM »
I would like superhero ponies if only because they'd match my G3 superheroes. That said, if it's a regular sized G4 for $50? Haha, hahaha, pull the other one.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal