collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Before Alicorn, what did you call a horse with a horn and wings?

Winged Unicorn
Horned Pegasus
Pegacorn
Unipeg
Unicorn
Pegasus
I didn't call them anything before because they don't exists in any true Mythology

Author Topic: Before Alicorn, what did you call the mash-up of a Pegasus and a Unicorn?  (Read 2368 times)

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
I just called them winged unicorns. To me an alicorn is still the horn of a unicorn.
I kinda wish FIM had not decided to use the word "alicorn" just because of the fandom.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
As a kid I called them fakies because real Hasbro ponies did only have a horn OR wings.
Till this day, I still don't like them that much.

Same here.  I was okay with it when it was just Luna and Celestia, but the more alicorns they add, the less I like them.  It just seems sort of . . . overdone.

That said, "alicorn" was not made common by MLP FIM.   It was a common term for winged unicorns in the community for ages.  (I would go so far as to say the most common term.) I first saw it used in relation to MLP personas in 1997 or 1998.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
So as a test I asked my mum...her answer "a magic horse" I love her but sometimes she misses the point. :P

When a little girl I went with winged unicorn but as an adult I always called them a unipeg. I dont like alicorn for them at all.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
I always said winged unicorn or flying unicorn.  The only reference to alicorn I ever read growing up was to a species of demented carnivorous unicorn in a book series. 

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
I think that I generally called them winged unicorns- although that is a bit of a mouthful.  I think that Piers Anthony in one of the Xanth books called them Alicorns though.

Offline QueenNatalie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • /insert edgy song lyric here/
    • View Profile
So, apparently I am one of the odd ones - I used the term "unisus"  :silly:

Later I guess I started calling them winged unicorns because "unisuses" just doesn't sound good xD

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
When I was a kid, I always gave my unicorns wings when I drew, because I figured that a unicorn with wings was just cooler than one without. XD I begrudgingly admitted later that unicorns typically don't have wings and that unicorns and pegasi are different creatures.

I took a lot of artistic liberties when I drew mythical creatures. I've always loved gryphons and I drew a lot of gryphons with cat heads, or with bird heads, with the cat paws in front.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
I've always said 50/50 Pegacorn/Unipeg. No clue where the word "alicorn" came from, not overly fond of it :V

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
Winged Unicorn here for me to :)

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
I'm totally a "Pegacorn" person, lol! That was totes our word until we were "educated" to the word Alicorn, haha :lol: (actually also Unisus... which we had fun calling "Unisi" plural)
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "The best advice I've found is don't look down."
    • View Profile
Pegacorn/Winged Unicorn. :P

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
80s kids. Anyone remember a picture book, featuring a winged unicorn named Whisper?
Think that was the name. I had several of them from my school's book fairs.

The books were titled "Whisper, the Winged Unicorn..."!

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
I never really thought about until I joined PonyIsland, then I called them winged unicorns since that's what they're called on there. :P

I still do, btw - I really, really hate people using "alicorn" to refer to a unicorn with wings, since (as others have said) that's.. not what it means, haha. Alicorns are unicorn horns. :p It drives me crazy how G4 has made that the "canon" term for winged unicorns, lol.

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
Whisper the Winged Unicorn, so that's why I say winged unicorn. I think it sounds the most eloquent of the possibilities. Also not a fan of alicorn.

What's the "ali" from anyhow?

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline prancingstag

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Ever since I was young, flying horses were always "pegasus" and horned horses were always "unicorn". I may have missed the horn on a number of horses in my youth though, I remember being shocked one day when I spent time examining a page in my storybook and finding a horn on my supposed pegasus. :lol: I went to school and discussed it with my friend, she said she had always called them winged unicorns. I had trouble pronouncing the "winged" properly at that age so I chose to use pegacorn instead to save face.. I also liked pegacorn better because I liked pegasi more than unicorns, so I enjoyed putting them first.

I didn't know about the word alicorn until FiM came around, but the people I heard using it had been familiar with it for years, decades prior to the show. I quite like the word because it sounds like "all" as if the horse has all the best bits of myths - wings AND a horn. :) I also like to believe that in the FiM universe, earth ponies can grow up to be alicorns too. Twilight grew wings onto her unicorn base, but apparently Cadence grew a horn onto her pegasus base. If you can grow wings or a horn, why not wings and a horn? In that way, alicorn for all, meaning their species is comprised of all three regular pony types.

So because of the specific lore attached to it, I only use alicorn in the context of FiM, and still use pegacorn elsewhere.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal