collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Before Alicorn, what did you call a horse with a horn and wings?

Winged Unicorn
Horned Pegasus
Pegacorn
Unipeg
Unicorn
Pegasus
I didn't call them anything before because they don't exists in any true Mythology

Author Topic: Before Alicorn, what did you call the mash-up of a Pegasus and a Unicorn?  (Read 2365 times)

Offline HelloGoodbye

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
I only really use alicorn in relation to FiM.  Since we were really little, my friends and I have had a "system" for categorizing unicorn pegasus hybrids.  If it's horn is more prominent than the wings, it is a Unipeg.  If the wings are more prominent than the horn, then it is a Pegacorn.  Pegacorns tend to be more common  ;)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Nence for my adoptable!

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
As a kid I called them fakies because real Hasbro ponies did only have a horn OR wings.
Till this day, I still don't like them that much.

Kinda feel the same way lol, theyre fun to draw, but I feel like its a bit much? xD like you can fly AND use magic?
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline OLumeVaSti

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Grumpy Nesmith should be the next meme.
    • View Profile
    • My Want List
A winged unicorn. I actually never really thought about it.

My Etsy store for vintage and kitsch items.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
80s kids. Anyone remember a picture book, featuring a winged unicorn named Whisper?
Think that was the name. I had several of them from my school's book fairs.
Whisper was partly the reason why I used the term Winged Unicorn :)

Post Merge: May 04, 2014, 09:12:38 PM

As a kid I called them fakies because real Hasbro ponies did only have a horn OR wings.
Till this day, I still don't like them that much.

Kinda feel the same way lol, theyre fun to draw, but I feel like its a bit much? xD like you can fly AND use magic?
Well technically speaking, while Hasbro's has magic.. who says that non-Hasbro ones have magic :) It might just be used like other animal horns in fighting/defense without the magic part XD
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 09:12:38 PM by sd_dreamcrystal »
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
Thats true SD. I think for me its just that MY personal experience with unicorns has always had some magical property attached to their horns xD. to me the horn kinda is like a wand i suppose? that might be a little silly rofl. also my whole harry potter love sort of backed it up, since they used unicorn hair in wands. rofl even though that was the hair and not the horn but whatever rofl xD
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
They're all pretty awkward to me, I'd stick with pegasus and not distinguish that it had a horn. Alicorn works though, so now that.

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
I like the word pegacorn best. I think it's cute! :)

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
I used "winged unicorn" too, and still prefer it.  I was always a little confused about the term "alicorn."  I'd heard it refer to both a unicorn's horn and a winged unicorn.  (Not that I heard it very often.)  So I wasn't sure which was the correct meaning.

Yes, I remember Whisper the Winged Unicorn and still have my childhood books; great series for kids!  There's also a FANTASTIC book called Catwitch that refers to unicorn horns as alicorns.  It's actually kind of a big deal in this book; alicorn is supposed to be the key ingredient in a spell, but no one knows what it is.  Great book if you can find a copy:  witches, wizards, cats, unicorns, fairies, gypsies, great story and AMAZING illustrations; what more could you want?

And I remember buying a little ceramic winged unicorn whose tag said "Pegacorn."  I thought it was cute, so I continued to use the name for that little figure.
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline Ice Crystal

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
I wasn't involved in any MLP communities pre-G4 and hadn't heard the term alicorn until I started collecting, so I think when I saw an alicorn depicted in art and such I just called it a unicorn haha. Unless it was called something else, like what you mentioned with Pegasus in Sailor Moon. Pegasus was always a name to me until MLP, not a species, so horses with wings were just flying horses.

SalesWants
LOOKING FOR: "Quick" Rarity, Salty's accesories & Wavedancer's shell.
Please PM me if you have any of these for sale!

Offline moonflower

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • collecting est. 2005
    • View Profile
Before FiM I used to call them unipegs.

DemureGirl

• Trade Count: (0)
Pegacorns of Alicorns but mostly winged unicorns. I used to modrate an online horse game where you could breed pegasus and unicorns (but not unicorns of the winged variety). Can't remember the first time I heard the name Alicorn but it was a long time before FIM.

Offline Rhubarbpie

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Winged unicorn and I also prefer winged horse over Pegasus and Pegasus was a specific winged horse. *shrugs*

THANK YOU!!!! Yes Pegasus was the name of the flying horse in the Greek legends. If he'd been called Bob would we have called them Bob's as a species??? :lol:

Back on topic, I think of them as winged unicorns or Alicorns, Twilight Sparkle and Cadence are Winged Unicorns. Celestia and Luna are alicorns.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
I have always called unicorns with wings "alicorns" and so did other people I know. I was kinda baffled most people here weren't aware of this habit and thought FiM invented the term.

Offline Roseprincess1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
I called them winged unicorns..or "Swift winds" because that was the name of She-ra's horse.. and he was the only winged  unicorn id ever seen before mlp 4

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal