collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Before Alicorn, what did you call a horse with a horn and wings?

Winged Unicorn
Horned Pegasus
Pegacorn
Unipeg
Unicorn
Pegasus
I didn't call them anything before because they don't exists in any true Mythology

Author Topic: Before Alicorn, what did you call the mash-up of a Pegasus and a Unicorn?  (Read 2366 times)

Offline Aitsuki

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Mmm, I read Piers Anthony's "Chronicles of Xanth", and in his books, unicorns and centaurs with wings are alicorns and alicentaurs.... so I was calling Celestia and Luna alicorns the whole time.

Post Merge: May 05, 2014, 11:04:01 PM

I think that I generally called them winged unicorns- although that is a bit of a mouthful.  I think that Piers Anthony in one of the Xanth books called them Alicorns though.

YES! 8D Another Xanth reader???
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 11:04:01 PM by Aitsuki »
My 3DS Friend Code (Playing Pokemon Moon): 2938-6334-2129

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
Never heard of that book series lol XD

Quote from: Wikipedia
Alicorn may refer to:

The horn of a unicorn or its substance, which was considered to have properties of healing and purification in the Middle Ages.
A winged unicorn. The term alicorn came into use in this meaning in the late 20th century.
I will note that some of us even after this never really heard the term Alicorn till FiM (like myself I never heard of it as a kid)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 05:33:04 AM by sd_dreamcrystal »
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Epona

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Mmm, I read Piers Anthony's "Chronicles of Xanth", and in his books, unicorns and centaurs with wings are alicorns and alicentaurs.... so I was calling Celestia and Luna alicorns the whole time.

Post Merge: May 05, 2014, 11:04:01 PM

I think that I generally called them winged unicorns- although that is a bit of a mouthful.  I think that Piers Anthony in one of the Xanth books called them Alicorns though.

YES! 8D Another Xanth reader???
Another Piers Anthony fan over here. And yes the only reason I started reading it was the blue Unicorn on the cover.  :blush: I should dig them out and re-read them

Offline BabiChuld

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • With pony powers, come pony responsibility.
    • View Profile
I'll be honest, to me it was a Unicorn, with or without wings haha ^_^  :lol:
Thank you Lindsay1988 for this beautiful Sig!  :lovey:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Don't worry, be happy!  :P Come visit my pony page to see my collection grow ^_^ https://www.facebook.com/pages/Joannas-collection-of-Vintage-My-Little-Pony-toys/171365783052710

My Ridiculously huge Wishlist XD http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,347431.new.html#new

Offline Ninox

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
Winged unicorns.

I was surprised to discover that the Latin root of the "ali-" in "alicorn" actually does mean "wing", but I still tend to stick with "winged unicorns" more out of habit than anything else. Strangely, there's not much consensus as to what the origins of the original "alicorn" were. One possible explanation is that it's derived from the French "à licorne", meaning "of the unicorn."

Interestingly, the mythology of Cantabria (an autonomous community in northern Spain) features a creature called the alicornio. This is a horselike creature with a horn growing from its forehead, and it also has wings...

...however, these wings are growing out of its feet.
Looking for these two little Soma fakies:

(photos by Angervo and littlefox)

My Sales Thread

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal