collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Popular books you never want to read!  (Read 7953 times)

Offline Magdalen

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Popular books you never want to read!
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2014, 12:02:43 AM »
I like to try out a lot of different books, whether they are popular or not.  My favorites tend to be less popular/mainstream (aside from Harry Potter).

I have read all the Twilight books and yes I think it's bad writing. Plot holes, little to no character development, main female character is unlikeable/poor role model. Maybe doesn't help that I like strong female leads.  So because I have had enough bad reading with Twilight I will not read 50 Shades of Gray.  My Twilight books got donated to Good Will when I was done with them.  I don't do that often.
I have read the first book of the Hunger Games.  It's enjoyable, but not a classic.  Kind of forgettable.

I am a little ashamed to say this, I tried to read LOTR and I couldn't get thru it.  I really enjoyed the movies too.  I did like the Hobbit.

Oooh and that one that is now a movie, Divergent, I honestly never heard of it until the movie came out.  I might pick it up soon for my Kindle.

I'm not a fan of Jane Austin, oh and Catcher in the Rye.  I couldn't stand the guy in that book, I have read it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2014, 03:38:45 PM »
Pern
Eragon
Twilight
Game of Thrones
Divergent series
Harry Potter
50 Shades of Gray

Pretty much in agreement with the rest of you it looks like

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline Shaiyeh

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2014, 06:19:11 AM »
Looks like most of us won't go near the same books, haha.

I've seen LoTR and HP mentioned, and I love those.
But I wouldn't read
50 shades
Hunger Games
Game of Thrones
Twilight (blehk)

out of the now-popular books, off the top of my head.
I can make a very long list aout classics, too...

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline Tiffymh1fan

• Trade Count: (+116)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Im attracted to shinny glitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 07, 2014, 10:56:05 AM »
Ill just name one
Divergent series
But once I watch the movie I may feel different- Only time will tell
I was like that with the hunger games series too than I watched the movie and I did not fall in love with the movie either, It took me sitting in a doctors office waiting on my sister and being board to read those books than I was hooked :read: them till the end
Glitter for everyone! :fireworks:

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 07, 2014, 11:03:24 AM »
Twilight, 50 shades of grey.

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 07, 2014, 12:19:45 PM »
I actually liked reading the first Twilight book (definitely not WELL-written, and I don't love Bella) then it just got worse and worse. I read the synopsis of 50 shades and I was so MAD. Still mad. Flames. On the side of my face.

I don't know, I feel like any time I say "I will NEVER..." I end up eating my words.
It's a goal of mine to read that BBC list of the top 100 books people should read (and they think American's have only read like 6 or something. I've read at least 36 by now.) Anyway, there are books that I am so not looking forward to, like I hear Moby Dick is really, excruciatingly long. And I can't imagine that I'll enjoy Lord of the Flies either...

Offline barbgirl1999

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/barbgirl1999
« Reply #96 on: May 08, 2014, 01:29:06 PM »
I will pretty much read anything, but I have absolutely no desire to read the 50 Shades series.  None. 

Otherwise, I was a literature major and I've always been an avid reader, so if someone says they think I'll like it, I'll try it. 

~Rodan+Fields~

flyawayraven

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2014, 01:58:06 PM »
One more to add to my list:

Atlas Shrugged, or anything else by Ayn Rand

Just a big fat NOPE.

Offline Emfen

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Scented Moonlight Pony
    • View Profile
    • MLW Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 08, 2014, 02:11:21 PM »
When it comes to books, I can list a bunch that I won't read.

LOTR (too long for me, but I do like the films albeit them being long)
Harry Potter (again way too long for my interest, seen some of the films though)
50 shades gray (more like 50 shades of nope)
Hunger Games (just doesn't catch my interest)
Game of Thrones (I liked the show very briefly, until the took into standard to use a lot of non-consensual themes)
Twilight (Saw 1st and 1/2 of the 2nd film and then I went Nope nope nope nope)
The Dark Tower (Read the 1st book, and it just sort of ended for me halfway)
~✿~| No longer actively collecting. |~✿~

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2014, 02:54:38 PM »
Books on my list to never read:

50 Shades of Gray :poke:
Hunger Games
Game of Thrones
Twilight

So far so good! Haven't read any of them! :thumb:

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 14, 2014, 05:46:07 PM »
I'll read just about anything or at least try to.

My biggest regret was the Twilight series. I read all of them just so I could make fun of it more. They were horrible.... I'm so glad I didn't pay for them.

I love LOTR just I've only made it through reading the hobbit and I had to force myself to read it just like game of thrones I just cannot get into the writing style. I like the show game of thrones but it is far easier to keep track of who is who with actors than it is with books. Plus a whole page about a women taking a walk thinking about how her body looked in the light. I mean come on... I thought it was fantasy not a romance novel!
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2014, 07:54:27 AM »
I've just realised that the books (and now shows/films) that I don't want to read or watch have a common theme; a simply awful portrayal of women (e.g. Twilight, 50 shades, GOT).
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Star Spark

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2014, 09:56:51 AM »
My list is actually pretty easy- anything that's not sci-fi, fantasy, natural history (or otherwise featuring an animal protagonist) is out. I read books for fun, and those are what I enjoy. Within those genres, I'm not likely to enjoy books focused on teenagers, which eliminates most of the YA section (this might seem like a weird condition, but even as a teenager I found books about teenage angst to be awkward- like someone who didn't know what it was like to be me was pretending they knew what it was like to be me. I always ended up emphasizing more with characters who were superficially very different; I guess the discomfort of such YA books has continued to adulthood, however. Also, there's so many of them now that it's hard for me to find them distinct and interesting.) A major exception would be the Harry Potter series, which I actually did read in college and enjoyed well enough, though I think it helped that the protagonists aren't teenagers when the series begins (and perhaps it's no coincidence that I enjoy the early books more.)

The Dark Tower (Read the 1st book, and it just sort of ended for me halfway)

I understand where you're coming from- I felt the same way. However, I found the end of The Gunslinger intriguing enough to continue to the second book, and I feel THAT'S where the series really picks up and becomes excellent. The Dark Tower series, as a whole, has a really weird progression curve- the first book is really slow, the second, third and fourth books are great, then the last three (which came out within a few years of each other, after Stephen King was hit by the van and just wanted to finish the series) feel rushed, though I still enjoyed them. I'm not trying to say you opinion is wrong, because I agree with it on the first book- I'd just hate for you to miss out on a series you might otherwise enjoy because of that book's shortcomings.   

Offline CrystalCrown

• Flamez o' Justice
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • You don't need a license to drive a sandwich!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 15, 2014, 10:02:36 AM »
Twilight
The Fault in our Stars
Hunger Games
Divergent
50 Shades
Warriors (im assuming that's more for kids/pre-teens because that's who I mostly see that's part of the fandom/drawing fan art of it, but either way I've heard a lot about it and have no interest in it.)
:fox: :rainbow: F is for friends who do stuff together, U is for you and me! N is for anywhere and anytime at all down here in the deep blue sea!  :frog:

Offline zabe77

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 15, 2014, 12:06:48 PM »
50 Shades, and the Girl on Fire series (I read book 1 of that and it was too much for me). I read a romance novel once and it was horrible, never again!

I'll read almost anything though otherwise. I have trouble remembering that life is only so long and so I should stick to the better books... sometimes I need a rest though, so I'll even read ridiculous things like Twilight if the rest of the world is reading it. I really like dystopian  books, like 1984 or Fahrenheit 451 but I like to mix it up with classics like Jane Austin or books considered Timeless. Sometimes I get stuck though, so I read something easy like Divergent. I've been reading Mooby Dick for like a year (taking lots of breaks)... that book is my White Whale ;) Vonnegut is my favorite author but I've read them all so I've been wandering my books looking for a new favorite...

I did read the Eragon Series and regretted it as I felt it dragged in the last two books and that the series should have been one book shorter. I was disappointed and felt it was too long for no reason other that to sell an extra book while the author was trying to figure out the real ending.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal