collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Popular books you never want to read!  (Read 8027 times)

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
Re: Popular books you never want to read!
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2014, 05:14:19 AM »
now can I list popular book series i wish i HAD NOT read? because twilight would be right up there, along with hunger games, even though there are parts that I still like, im not sure the writing was that great lol.

God I feel that way about Eragon.  My sister-in-law had given the first book to me as a gift, and I knew nothing about it.  I sort of assumed she gave it to me because she really liked it.  So I slogged through, despite really wanting to chuck it.  At that point I had no idea that the author had been 13 when he wrote it, and I seriously said to my husband, "It reads like it was written by a 13 year old, it's awful."  And of course it ended on a friggen cliff hanger so I had to read the next one, and so on.  It was torture.  I ended up asking my SIL what she liked about it.  Turns out, she'd never even read it.  :rofl:

That is one of the reasons why I haven't read Twilight.  I just know I'll end up not liking it, but not being able to stop reading it. 

I have mixed feelings about eragon! >.< I WANTED to like that series so much! I mean the theme had all the potential, and i love that kinda thing but the writing was so repetitive. I re-read the whole inheritance cycle a few months ago, and things like, preparing a spell, the writer would have eragon explain it again every single time it happened, or just other things throught the series. He also had a specific love for detail, usually i enjoy this, but he would go off on huge descriptions of characters we were already well familer with, but then others we were left with very little information, like we literally got one description of the urgals, and despite him fighting the razac for a significant portion of his story, i feel like we still never really understood what they were meant to look like. I wont keep ranting, because I do like the eragon world, I just wish the story had been written better. And yes the ending was... frustrating. xD
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2014, 07:25:07 AM »
i may read harry potter in the future. (jim dale is the reader for the audiobooks and i simply love him, so he'd be the reason i listen to them) but i don't want to read them cuz someone else told me to.

I like the Stephen Fry audiobooks way better. I used to have all the Jim Dale ones but I 'upgraded' to the British version, haha.

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2014, 07:44:00 AM »
i may read harry potter in the future. (jim dale is the reader for the audiobooks and i simply love him, so he'd be the reason i listen to them) but i don't want to read them cuz someone else told me to.

I like the Stephen Fry audiobooks way better. I used to have all the Jim Dale ones but I 'upgraded' to the British version, haha.
oh! i didn't know they had a different reader. are they newer or older?
what else has stephen fry read? (i'm totally addicted to audiobooks. listening to how to train your dragon series with david tennant reading. 0.0! he's amazing.)

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2014, 07:49:34 AM »
Oh man, Dragons done by Tennant sounds awesome! I don't know what other audiobooks Stephen Fry has done, I'm sure some. I just really like his voice. They were done around the same time  - Jim Dale narrates the american version of the books and Stephen Fry does the British version.

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2014, 07:55:44 AM »

oh! i didn't know they had a different reader. are they newer or older?
what else has stephen fry read? (i'm totally addicted to audiobooks. listening to how to train your dragon series with david tennant reading. 0.0! he's amazing.)

The Stephen Fry ones are the English version.  I don't think they're either earlier or later.  But you will probably have to buy them from O/S.  They are way better imo too.  Not sure what else he has read, though I'm sure there must be things, but he's better known for acting and stuff.  He's kind of amazing.

I find it interesting that so many people mentions books that are my favorites.. my taste in litterature must be awful :lol:

Lol, me too. But really most people in the thread haven't even tried to read the books, so it doesn't mean that.  And if you think about it, the books  mentioned are all very popular, and they're popular for a reason.  That reason, may not always be because the writing is brilliant, but they have all filled some need in the greater part of society. 

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2014, 08:16:07 AM »
Everyone should listen to Stephen Fry read Harry Potter at some point - his readings are awesome. He doesnt do many audiobooks - thats why it is such a big thing he did Harry Potter. However he also did all the Paddington Bear books; which as some of my favourite childhood books are wonderful to listen to.

And best of all - if you can track down a copy he also did the audiobook for the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. If you can find it its great to listen to.

*love Stephen Fry*
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Winter Bones

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2014, 03:55:17 PM »
Probably every novel that gets turned into a movie ever. I don't like fiction, my library is strictly nonfiction with very few exceptions.

Yay, another fan of nonfiction! I find reading about real events that happened to real people way more interesting than reading fictional stories. Inspiring, even. Truth is stranger than fiction...

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2014, 05:47:33 AM »
I have to admit I tried to read 50 shades because my mum said that they were good, but had to stop after chapter 2 and never finished.

the same with twilight got about halfway through book one and so far all I got from the story was that there was a girl that just wanted to die and to be fair if I had read another chapter I would have jumped in to the book and done the job my self in order to make the story end. haha  strange because I sort of like the films  :huh:

though I refuse to read LOTR could not even get 1/2 hour in to the film so the books a nono

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2014, 09:57:27 AM »
I could never finish LOTR.  HOWEVER, I think my dislike for them comes from the fact that I read the majority of them while unable to sleep from excruciating gallstone pain. 

flyawayraven

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2014, 11:42:12 AM »
I could never finish LOTR.  HOWEVER, I think my dislike for them comes from the fact that I read the majority of them while unable to sleep from excruciating gallstone pain. 

Eep! Yes the LOTR books are the best thing to read while in pain. :x

Offline alkevin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2014, 11:52:41 AM »
I´ve read Hp books, waay before the movies and I love it! The ones I don´t care are: the Twilight saga and pray, oe and eat ( or something ).

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2014, 02:55:54 AM »

I find it interesting that so many people mentions books that are my favorites.. my taste in litterature must be awful :lol:

Lol, me too. But really most people in the thread haven't even tried to read the books, so it doesn't mean that.  And if you think about it, the books  mentioned are all very popular, and they're popular for a reason.  That reason, may not always be because the writing is brilliant, but they have all filled some need in the greater part of society. 

I guess your right. I still find it funny, tho. :)

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2014, 08:34:15 AM »
Fifty Shades of Grey... it sounds so trashy! I'll pass :lol: The Twilight stuff wouldn't be for me either. I prefer vampires that don't sparkle.

Ha this!  I couldn't get passed the first chapter of the first Twilight book and my mother made me watch the first with her and I wanted to rip my hair out.  I love vampire stuff but this was too much. 

I did read and love the Harry Potter books.  I held out until the third one came out to start reading them though.  I started to like them when our teacher read that one to us in school and I broke down and asked my mom to get it for me, then I was hooked and had to start at the beginning.

Most other "popular" series I don't get into.  I read a lot but I am very particular about what I read and even if a book is recommended by someone, I don't read it just because.  I did read The Help because I loved the movie.  I usually prefer to stick with my usual genres like paranormal romance, historical romance, and some drama/mystery if it sounds interesting.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2014, 12:09:13 PM »
I think it's funny how most people seem to be unable to get into the LotR bibles' books' writing style. I'm the opposite. I read the LotR trilogy with ease but was unable to get past the first 100 pages of two Harry Potter books.
I guess it doesn't matter how a book is written, if the characters and story capture me I can make it through.

That's why I hardly read fiction these days and am not a fan of "give it a try". If something doesn't super interest me I can't focus and start thinking of other things while "reading". Call it having a short attention span. My little library is mostly non-fiction and artbooks ^^#

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 26, 2014, 12:05:53 AM »
I chewed my way through the first LOTR book.  It was good in places and then extremely boring in others.  After The Fellowship of the Ring came out on film, I went back and read the two other books and found them more enjoyable. I guess the movie gave me a better visualization to go on with - plus I wanted to find out how the story ended and didn't want to wait for the next two movies to come out.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal