collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Popular books you never want to read!  (Read 8028 times)

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Popular books you never want to read!
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2014, 09:18:21 AM »
None-  I read anything and everything.  It's hard enough to find a decent author or line that I haven't read, I wouldn't shut out a series just because it is popular.

Although I have been disappointed at times with books that were super popular. 

TeddyAndTex

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2014, 10:11:23 AM »
I've never read "The Hunger Games" and I have no desire to.

Offline Midnight_Dream

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • May the llama be with you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2014, 10:18:50 AM »
It's OK if you guys have no intentions of reading these books.  But, keep in mind there are people who are fans of books like the Twilight series and The Hunger Games series.  Making a list of the books you never want to read is fine but going on and on about why is overdoing it.  I'm not being overly sensitive and I myself have made a response saying I don't want to read 50 Shades of Gray end of story.  Saying things like I am never reading the Twilight series because vampires who sparkle suck and I never want to read The Hunger Games, because it's a worthless piece of crap.  Yes, I know nobody said that about The Hungers Games, it's just an example.  I am just saying keep in mind there are fans too.  You guys have obviously never read these books so I can't see how you can form an opinion you know nothing about.  I can see if you read a couple of pages or saw the movie and decided you didn't like it.

Sometimes it's good to do your own research instead of listening to what others have told you about the books.  Decide for yourself.

But, it's all just personal preferences though, isn't it? If someone thinks sparkly vampires suck that is their opinion. I haven't seen anyone being especially disrespectful? I thought the thread was about books that simply haven't caught your interest, no matter how popular they may be with others, rather than books you "hate" or refuse to read. So I don't think anyone needs to take offence at what's being said here. I think someone listed the "His Dark Materials" series, and I happen to love that series, and I know it's good, but it obviously hasn't caught that posters attention, why should it hurt my feelings that they're not interested in it? I just shrug and think "their loss".

This. Exactly what little.fox said.

And for the record all of the books I said I would never read I have tried to read before in the past and couldn't.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2014, 11:40:10 AM »
now can I list popular book series i wish i HAD NOT read? because twilight would be right up there, along with hunger games, even though there are parts that I still like, im not sure the writing was that great lol.

God I feel that way about Eragon.  My sister-in-law had given the first book to me as a gift, and I knew nothing about it.  I sort of assumed she gave it to me because she really liked it.  So I slogged through, despite really wanting to chuck it.  At that point I had no idea that the author had been 13 when he wrote it, and I seriously said to my husband, "It reads like it was written by a 13 year old, it's awful."  And of course it ended on a friggen cliff hanger so I had to read the next one, and so on.  It was torture.  I ended up asking my SIL what she liked about it.  Turns out, she'd never even read it.  :rofl:

That is one of the reasons why I haven't read Twilight.  I just know I'll end up not liking it, but not being able to stop reading it. 

flyawayraven

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2014, 11:49:58 AM »
Twilight, 50 Shades of Gray, Hunger Games, and anything by John Green.

Offline SwordPony

• Trade Count: (+271)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2014, 12:52:49 PM »
It's OK if you guys have no intentions of reading these books.  But, keep in mind there are people who are fans of books like the Twilight series and The Hunger Games series.  Making a list of the books you never want to read is fine but going on and on about why is overdoing it.  I'm not being overly sensitive and I myself have made a response saying I don't want to read 50 Shades of Gray end of story.  Saying things like I am never reading the Twilight series because vampires who sparkle suck and I never want to read The Hunger Games, because it's a worthless piece of crap.  Yes, I know nobody said that about The Hungers Games, it's just an example.  I am just saying keep in mind there are fans too.  You guys have obviously never read these books so I can't see how you can form an opinion you know nothing about.  I can see if you read a couple of pages or saw the movie and decided you didn't like it.

Sometimes it's good to do your own research instead of listening to what others have told you about the books.  Decide for yourself.

But, it's all just personal preferences though, isn't it? If someone thinks sparkly vampires suck that is their opinion. I haven't seen anyone being especially disrespectful? I thought the thread was about books that simply haven't caught your interest, no matter how popular they may be with others, rather than books you "hate" or refuse to read. So I don't think anyone needs to take offence at what's being said here. I think someone listed the "His Dark Materials" series, and I happen to love that series, and I know it's good, but it obviously hasn't caught that posters attention, why should it hurt my feelings that they're not interested in it? I just shrug and think "their loss".

This. Exactly what little.fox said.

And for the record all of the books I said I would never read I have tried to read before in the past and couldn't.

Yes it is personal option but it isn't hey let's bash all these books we don't like. That's what this tread feels like to me. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean someone else doesn't like that book or series. Making a list of books you don't like is fine but leave it at that.

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2014, 01:04:21 PM »
Ok, that's fine, I just haven't seen any bashing going on, that was all. I just think we're all entitled to an opinion.  :)

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2014, 04:12:46 PM »
Ok, that's fine, I just haven't seen any bashing going on, that was all. I just think we're all entitled to an opinion.  :)

What SwordPony said was what I was saying too.  If you read a lot of the posts in the first two pages I saw a lot of bashing, but I don't want to single anyone out by quoting the people who bashed books.  I wasn't taking offense to those who said they don't like the same books I do, just the extension of why they don't like it.  That's what I meant.   Someone also mentioned they enjoyed His Dark Materials and I also enjoyed that. :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 04:19:27 PM by Majesty »

Offline brighteyes

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • ~Insert Coin, Get Pony~
    • View Profile
    • Brighteye's Notebook
Popular books you never want to read!
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2014, 05:15:05 PM »
I can't bring myself to start the game of thrones series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 05:17:03 PM by brighteyes »
Many thanks to LordBlumiere for my wonderful avatar  :lovey: Blog  Adoptable Refs

Offline Summer-blade

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?id=100000958584055
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2014, 05:53:26 PM »
50 shades of gray
Twilight
anything beyond the first three books of Anne Rice's Vampire chronicles
Dragonridders of pern

I tried reading the pern books but I don't know I just couldn't get into them but I guess they're not all that popular now so maybe they don't count. I honestly tried reading Twilight but just couldn't get into it.

I read the first Hunger games book and thought it was ok not the abosulte best book I ever read but good.
I just started reading Game of thrones  last month I've read the first two books. Not bad I kinda like em' I started reading because I can't watch the series seeing as I don't have HBO.

Now if you want a good book series that should be more popular The Icarus Trilogy by Kevin Kafuman is fan freakingtastic!   

Offline elvenwine26

• Super Secret Squirrel
  • Trade Count: (+143)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2014, 09:16:54 PM »
Well you know one person's "mild commentary" can easily be another person's "bashing." I personally find the Thumper Theory to be tedious.  I think it's interesting to see why people don't care for something even if it's the general idea or something specific. If you wanted a feel good post about your favorite books, you could always start your own fan appreciation thread instead of getting upset about a thread devoted to books that people don't care for.

On topic though: I can't get into the Nicholas Sparks craze that was so big a few years back.  I also have zero interest in anything about King Arthur if we were to get really broad.  Though I can't seem to figure out my aversion to Arthurian based literature both classic and modern.  Weird.
"How much for the horse tornado?"
"Sir, that's a carousel."
"I must have it!"

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2014, 09:25:31 PM »
i work at a book store, and our manager likes us to "know our merchandise"

i may read harry potter in the future. (jim dale is the reader for the audiobooks and i simply love him, so he'd be the reason i listen to them) but i don't want to read them cuz someone else told me to.

i tell my boss. i'm trying to focus on books that people aren't as likely to know. not something that practically sells itself.

also don't want to read

50 shade of anything
maximum ride series
john green's books
twilight
game of thrones. (everyone i knows tells me i'd hate it anyway.)
iron druid series (started it.... way too much swearing)
ender's game

and general genre's
biographies
based on a true story
love story
romance
true crime
and pretty much anything that doesn't either have spaceships, dragons, magic or something major blowing up. but respect to those of you who can read them.

Offline Corona

• Eohippus Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Japanifornia Attorney Spokespony
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2014, 09:41:41 PM »
Probably every novel that gets turned into a movie ever. I don't like fiction, my library is strictly nonfiction with very few exceptions.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Duster reference]

Offline BerryMouse

• Starry-eyed idealist pony
  • Trade Count: (+622)
    • View Profile
    • BerryMouse Custom Ponies & more
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2014, 10:50:20 PM »
The Eragon series
Inkheart books
Game of Thrones
The Hobbit
Dan Brown books
The Gem Triology
Divergent
and probably a lot more :D

I also never wanted to read the shades of grey books but one day I got that extract and I wanted to know how it goes further so I bought the first book and after that, also the others.
But I stopped after the second, started the third and the first 50 pages bored me very good so I'm not sure when I'll finish the tiology :D
BerryMouse Custom Ponies on Facebook
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BERRY'S SALE TOPIC

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2014, 02:20:02 AM »
I find it interesting that so many people mentions books that are my favorites.. my taste in litterature must be awful :lol:

I actually came up with a couple of authors I won't read. Bronyësisters and Jane Austen. I've tried them in both Swedish and English but only find them boring.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal