collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Popular books you never want to read!  (Read 7951 times)

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
Re: Popular books you never want to read!
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2014, 04:21:30 PM »
50 Shades Of Grey (or as I call it No Way)
City Of Bones

Most current popular YA books. I have zero tolerance for crappy,problematic, writing.

Twilight *laughs*. That one got started because I watched the first movie on YouTube at 2AM one morning. Right around when the second movie was about to be released. I was in such shock because Twilight is that bad (the movie). That I immediately tracked down the books to confirm it. And find my BFF, to talk story with her. We've got family in the WA area that is Native. The author royally screwed them over big time. Plus I have to say "no" to sparkly,creepy, emo boy vampires.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2014, 05:58:48 PM »
Twilight - I tried to read it but it was so BORING

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline slyons

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2014, 06:13:14 PM »
Da Vinci Code...

Thank you Shaiyeh and Griffin for my adoptables!!

Offline elvenwine26

• Super Secret Squirrel
  • Trade Count: (+143)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2014, 06:20:33 PM »
Twilight because why would I read a story about super old vampires who voluntarily go to high school again?
I'm physically incapable of getting past the 1st book of LOTR but that's probably because it feels like I'm reading a campaign, so boring!
Any dragonlance novel as soon as I realized they're all basically written like a game of Dungeons and Dragons. D:  My heart broke the day I made the revelation.
"How much for the horse tornado?"
"Sir, that's a carousel."
"I must have it!"

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2014, 06:27:52 PM »
I wont ever read the twilight series, given all the horrible grammatical errors alone is a deterrent to me.

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2014, 06:43:40 PM »
lol, I'm another Harry Potter avoider.  Let me first say that I'm not doubting that it's actually a good storyline.  I'm also not doubting that the characters are written in a way that the readers really bond to them.  However, I tried five different times to read the first one and can never get past the first couple of chapters.  It simply doesn't hold my interest.  I've had some friends tell me that yes, the first one is terrible and to either just skip it or force my way through it.  I don't believe in skipping books in a series (especially the first one, where you actually meet your primary cast) and since I read for enjoyment, I don't want to have to *force* myself through anything. 

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2014, 06:57:05 PM »
Fifty Shades Of Gray.  I'm really surprised to hear lots of people have no interest in reading books like Harry Potter, The Mortal Instruments, and The Hunger Games.  I've read all the books in those series and I have to say you guys are missing out.

I'm sort of annoyed by all the Twilight haters out there.  I'm trying to be nice, but I am a huge vampire fan too but there's people that take vampirism too seriously.  Like, there are marked in stone rules about vampires, even though they don't exist and never have.  Bram Stroker started the whole thing with his book Dracula.  He made everything up about vampires even though I know his story was a little bit based on the notorious killer Vlad The Impaler.  Every movie I've seen on vampires have their own different version.  I can understand why people say vampires don't "sparkle" but it was a unique take on vampires being in the sun.  That's what their skin looks like underneath.  Instead of burning when they touch the sun it exposes their true skin underneath, which is why they can't be exposed publicly in the sun, because as Edward said "people would know we're different."

I know that everyone is entitled to their opinion, I get it.  I personally really enjoyed all the books and movies.  But, I wouldn't let one thing you don't like about a movie keep you from enjoying the rest of it.  Take on a new perspective, you know?!

Post Merge: April 20, 2014, 06:57:46 PM

I wont ever read the twilight series, given all the horrible grammatical errors alone is a deterrent to me.

If you've never read the series how do you know about grammatical errors?  I read all the books and didn't see anything. 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 06:58:36 PM by Majesty »

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2014, 07:08:56 PM »
I'll give most things a go if people suggest it.  I don't always finish a book though.  I do feel sad for some of you though, you're really missing out.

But, yeah, no twilight and no 50 shades for me.  I have considered reading twilight, but I get the feeling it would be painful to read due to the bad editting, but I wouldn't be able to stop reading it.  And as for 50 shades, I've read a synopsis, and quite frankly I don't want to support a woman who plagerises and romantises an abusive relationship.

Otherwise, there is nothing I'm avoiding reading.

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2014, 07:32:25 PM »
I do feel sad for some of you though, you're really missing out.

Man, I feel this way too. It's fine if you give it a try and don't like it, or you know the style or concept doesn't appeal to you - we all have different tastes and that's cool. But purposefully avoiding books just because they're popular and/or people have suggested them to you... I just feel like you'll miss out on so much! I mean, there aren't really that many of my favorite books that I've discovered all on my own out of the blue. Reading is often such a communal thing, recommendations from friends and family and reviews from strangers are a big part of discovering and enjoying new literature.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2014, 09:10:33 PM »
My issue with Twilight has nothing to do with how if deviates from vampire lore. That's fine and well. My issue is more about how it romanticized his stalking and controlling behavior and her being obsessed to the point that she couldn't live without him. If they eliminated these aspects and improved on the writing itself I would probably like the story much better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2014, 10:04:06 PM »
I read/watch different genres - for instance I don't mind fantasy movies as a rule, but I prefer a good mystery in a book. For instance I'm addicted to Agatha Christie novels, but I wouldn't touch the TV series with a 10-foot pole, and I love vampire movies (excluding Twilight) but I can't stand to read about them.

That said, I've read a few fantasy novels lately - The Hunger Games for instance, which I really enjoyed (I also like the movies). I have read the Harry Potter books, but only because I had a friend who was nuts about them, and wouldn't rest until I'd read every last one, but I wasn't terribly fond of the movie adaptations, either.

I refuse to read Twilight, because ergh. If I didn't like the movies, there's no way I'll like the less preferred medium in the genre, regardless of what anyone says. I also can't bring myself to read any more of the Anne Rice books, I've tried (again at the insistence of a friend who mercifully backed off after the first one) but no. I don't mind some of the movie adaptations, though, but that follows my general rule. I'm thinking about reading Game of Thrones though, because I like the premise, but just can't believe the characters in the TV show, they just don't 'work' for me, don't ask me why. And I think I'll wait for the movie of Divergent, too. Again, purely a medium preference.

*bombshell alert* I have 50 shades on my kindle, I read a chapter or two every now and then when I need a laugh. My bestie and I have been planning on writing a 'mills & boon' for years, it's a running joke that never fails to make me smile, and hey a girl needs inspiration if she's going for 'unattainable high fantasy' LOL. Those books crack me up.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Midnight_Dream

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • May the llama be with you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2014, 10:39:31 PM »

If you've never read the series how do you know about grammatical errors?  I read all the books and didn't see anything. 

If you are like me and tried reading it the horrible grammar and thesaurus abuse are more than enough to turn off anyone who enjoys that English language. My biggest issue with the series, however, is the unhealthy relationship between the two main characters.

On topic,

I will never read 50 Shades of Grey, The Mortal Instruments, Vampire Academy, The Sookie Stackhouse novels. There are probably others, but those are the big ones I can think of.

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2014, 11:23:46 PM »
I have read both the Twilight series and the 50 shades series.  Both were so-so reads but enjoyable enough.

I can't think of anything popular that I don't want to read but I know I wish I had never read the Sookie Stackhouse (Southern Vampire Mysteries) series.  The ending SUCKED big time imo.

Offline Baby_Honeycomb

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2014, 06:43:56 AM »
Weird topic somehow... I will read almost anything that I can get my hands on or that I've been given as a gift. If I don't like it I can still quit.

For example refused to read Harry Potter at first. My brother was given the first book for his birthday and after the first chapter I thought I was through with HP. After the Goblet of Fire came out my best friend gave me the first four books in English and told me not to stop after the first chapter and she was right. I read them all in a blink of an eye and couldn't wait til the next one was on the market. I enjoyed the books way more than the movies.

With Fifty Shades of Grey it was the other way round. Started reading, was nosy and curious but the story itself is simply not of high quality nor is it well written. A shame, not a shade, and I will not watch the movie.

As a conclusion I would recommend people simply try for themselves and not let anyone influence them so much on what is worth reading or not. It's just due to my old English teacher that I learned to love and appreciate   old literature such as Shakespeare -

It's always a question of perspective ;)

Send via Tapatalk on my Galaxy - blame autocorrect for every mistake ;)
:biggrin:  There is always space for more ponies  :biggrin:
My wantlist http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,358238.0.html

Offline Iceglider

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Mommy, Artist, Roleplayer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/creaturepainter
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2014, 07:03:22 AM »
Same here
50 Shades of Grey (no way!)
The Twilight series
Harry Potter
Game of Thrones (I don't even watch the tv show)
The Hunger Games I watched the first movie. I find the fact that so many teens read these slightly disturbing.

I make my reading list mostly from books my mother and sister's recommend. They have read more than I have and we have similar tastes. I read Eragon the first book and Inkheart the series. They were not that great. I liked Inkheart well enough but the next two books just got weirder. I think my husband can write a better story than those authors. He mostly role-plays and has yet to write his first book, though.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal