collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Looking for SCARY Horror Movie Ideas  (Read 2644 times)

Offline court2882

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • I love pony armies!
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for SCARY Horror Movie Ideas
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2013, 05:16:40 PM »
This is amazingly helpful everyone.  Thank you! There is a lot of good ideas here. Some I've seen for sure, but about 12 I haven't. Thank you.

Keelee - there are a couple in there that I am really excited about. I saw Sinister in theatres and it was great.

I saw one movie called House, but it was more of a comedy. A little ridiculous actually, not really funny. I was not a fan of that one.

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2013, 05:22:44 PM »
I just watched The Collection today with my husband, it's the sequel to The Collector. It was pretty good as far as sequels go, not as good as the first one, Kind of along the same lines as the Saw series which I love although far more gory, but all in all a good watch :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2013, 01:47:41 AM »
This one may or may not work for you.  It's an old movie(1960s and in black and white).  I watch it every year during my Halloween scary movie fest, and it never fails to give me a few legitimate chills:p

It's The Haunting.  You'll want the original one, not the crappy remake that came out about 10 years ago.  The remake is terrible.  The original is a good, solid ghost story.  This movie shows you almost nothing in the way of ghosts or special effects.  It's actually amazing how creepy they can make things without showing you anything.  They make very good use of sound in that movie, and some of the best scenes in the movie are only scary because of the sound editing.  They also make great use of the setting and camera angles.  It's definitely a movie that works by using your imagination instead of just showing you a scary monster.  It's not a fast movie, and it's not a modern flashy movie.  It may or may not be your cup of tea, but it is very successful at creating a creepy atmosphere, and the more you think about it, the more you'll probably get out of it.  If you go into this movie expecting them to be in your face with the monsters and the gore, you'll leave very disappointed.  One of the scariest parts in the movie involves nothing more than some banging on the wall.  Another really good scene involves a close up shot of the wall coupled with some moaning sounds.  It's not an artsy film by any means, but it is *really* not a graphic in-you-face movie either.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057129/

I'm also a fan of An American Werewolf in London(not the terrible sequel).  It's not excessively gory(particularly by today's standards), and it does have some pretty creepy scenes, particularly for me since I've actually been to London twice and recognize some of the locations:p

John Carpenter's The Thing is also another pretty solid monster movie.  It's on my gore limit threshold, but it's not *too* bad.  It's another one that sets the mood very well, and it's pretty much the pinnacle of 80s monster effects.  One note: there is a scene that involves bad things happening to a bunch of dogs. 

Those would be the scariest of the movies I watch this time every year.  I also like the original Fog(NOT the remake), Silver Bullet, Critters(very much moving into the b-movie range), and I'm adding Alien to my movie mix this year.

Offline court2882

• Twinkle Eye Pony
  • I love pony armies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2013, 06:40:20 AM »
Thank you goddessofpeep.  I have a horror movie marathon each year with my friends at the end of October, so some of these suggestions will make it into the rotation.  My husband and I also decided that we were going to make a list of our 50 favourite Horror movies and we are working on a list of them to watch to make that list. We aren't doing it for any particular reason other than our own amusement :) And our friends will probably want a copy ;)

Offline Keelee_von_Cupcake

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2013, 07:35:14 AM »
I use the heck out of Flickchart, which is a website where you can build a list of your favorite movies organically by comparing two films with each other, over and over, to see what comes out on top for you!

http://www.flickchart.com/

You can search for a film by title if you want to add it to your list manually instead of just clicking random match-up over and over. Every time I see something new, I add it to my Flickchart. :) There are also recommendation pages, by genre and ranking.

Offline court2882

• Twinkle Eye Pony
  • I love pony armies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2013, 10:46:23 AM »
I use the heck out of Flickchart, which is a website where you can build a list of your favorite movies organically by comparing two films with each other, over and over, to see what comes out on top for you!

You can search for a film by title if you want to add it to your list manually instead of just clicking random match-up over and over. Every time I see something new, I add it to my Flickchart. :) There are also recommendation pages, by genre and ranking.

Thank you! I started playing with it and I can see a lot of time going missing to that website :)

Offline stopxmotion

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Support independent film!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2013, 12:48:05 PM »
No sexual abuse scene can be as bad as the original Last House on the Left. 

I have a strong stomach and I have seen a lot of things, but that movie is by far the most disgusting movie I have ever seen in my life.

http://www.serbianfilmmovie.com/
Two more little devils jumped over the wall.
Saying turn her out father, she'll murder us all.
To my fal-de-ral little law-day.

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2013, 12:49:34 PM »
I second goddessofpeep's suggestion of An American Werewolf in London The graphics are the best I have seen in a werewolf movie and some of the scenes are quite tense to watch :)

I also liked Wolf Creek. It is probably more a thriller than a horror though because I watched it and though it was okay but then about 3 days later I found I was still thinking about it! 

Offline court2882

• Twinkle Eye Pony
  • I love pony armies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2013, 01:33:31 PM »
I saw Wolf Creek a while ago, a couple weeks after being in the Australian Outback, and for me it felt like torture for the sake of torture, and that incredibly boring first half was difficult to get through. I didn't really find it scary so much as disturbing.

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2013, 09:21:11 PM »
No sexual abuse scene can be as bad as the original Last House on the Left. 

I have a strong stomach and I have seen a lot of things, but that movie is by far the most disgusting movie I have ever seen in my life.

-link from stopxmotion's post-

Warning for others, this is a really noisy website, and the advertised film is rated NC-17 for good reason.

Films that are as extreme as these three are on the "disturbing" or "disgusting" scale are rarely scary, and these are no exception. They do their shocking thing, but it's not the same emotion.

Post Merge: September 30, 2013, 09:25:34 PM

Thank you! I started playing with it and I can see a lot of time going missing to that website :)

I'm glad you like it! It's definitely helped me find some new things to watch. It also helps me remember more about what I've seen (because I can't rank it if I can't remember anything about it!). As in, "Friday the 13th Part 7 versus Halloween 4? OH, they mean Jason Fights Carrie versus Baby Danielle Harris Meets Michael".
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 09:25:34 PM by Keelee_von_Cupcake »

Offline stopxmotion

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Support independent film!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2013, 10:19:46 PM »
Julia's Eyes is good. :)
Two more little devils jumped over the wall.
Saying turn her out father, she'll murder us all.
To my fal-de-ral little law-day.

Offline court2882

• Twinkle Eye Pony
  • I love pony armies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2013, 07:10:05 AM »
I know what you mean Keelee_von_Cupcake, there are SO many horror movies out there like that. I was on the site for like 15 minutes and I realized I had already seen over 200 films they asked me about.  It's a little scary ;)

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2013, 09:20:06 AM »
Julia's Eyes is good. :)

I actually second this! It stars the same lady as The Orphanage (the lovely Belen Rueda), and is a serious nail biter, about a blind woman who starts to get her sight back just as creepy things start happening around her. (That makes it sound like The Eye, but it does its own thing.) Good call! :)

I know what you mean Keelee_von_Cupcake, there are SO many horror movies out there like that. I was on the site for like 15 minutes and I realized I had already seen over 200 films they asked me about.  It's a little scary ;)

There aaare, I think in some ways its easier to go for than trying to create actual dread (and perhaps less subjective?). I still like plenty of them though! (I'm a huge fan of the Saw and Final Destination series, for instance.)

Ahaha, sounds like you're making good progress! If you want to feel better (or at least less prolific) about your number, check out the profiles of some of the really active members - thousands of films!! I am finally closing in on 1000 after more than a year of using the site, but those guys, man. I don't think I could ever remember THAT many films. Of course there are more films I could put on there that I know I've seen, but if I can't remember anything about it, I can't compare it to other films fairly, and so off my chart it stays.

Offline court2882

• Twinkle Eye Pony
  • I love pony armies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2013, 12:16:05 AM »
So that is another one to add to my list.  Thank you! This has been really helpful.

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2013, 02:52:32 PM »
Read the entire thread and still have a few suggestions that haven't been mentioned. Thanks to my ex I've seen tons of horror films from gore to B movies everything.... just so many. Rather his favorite genre vs me liking it when I'm in the right mood. Thankfully current bf who also loves horror hasn't forced it upon me like the last. Rather on a watching hiatus from horror though it is that time of the year.

The Candyman
Horrorfest films I highly suggest Unrest though like most of them they are rather B films and in places the plots can get dull.
Dead Silence
haha not the season yet for it but Silent night Deadly Night for Christmas!
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal