collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Looking for SCARY Horror Movie Ideas  (Read 2594 times)

Offline court2882

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • I love pony armies!
    • View Profile
Looking for SCARY Horror Movie Ideas
« on: September 26, 2013, 07:44:01 AM »
So I'm looking for actually scary horror movies. I have tried doing searches on the internet, but so many people who barely know horror put things on the lists that are not helpful. I know a lot about Horror movies so things like the Exorcist, Jaws, Halloween, etc. are not helpful, nor in my opinion, are they actually scary. I really need help from people who truly know and watch horror movies as I am really trying to find my next favourite horror movie and it is more likely to be something a little more unknown than Friday the 13th. So please, if you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them. 

To help you with my kind of horror movies, I loved Insidious, The Conjuring, Paranormal Activity, Shutter, Dead Silence, The Descent. I am open to foreign films...The Orphanage was great, but I though The Devil's Backbone was boring and not scary. There are other movies I love, but there is no point in listing them all as there are so many.

I know there are a bunch of you on the arena....so I am looking forward to hearing your suggestions.  Thank you!!!

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for SCARY Horror Movie Ideas
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 08:02:59 AM »
Horror movies... my favorite genre of film, although I'm not big on the gory stuff, I'll watch it but it's not scary. I love stuff like Paranormal Activity (ever caught yourself lying in bed and you randomly think of a scene from that movie, like Katie standing over you, or being grabbed by your leg?) lol Anyways...

Halloween
Sinister
Human Centipede (although I recommend staying away from the 2nd one if you prefer to keep your food down), Teeth (more so scary for a guy lol)
The Collector
The Exorcist

I don't really know, I'm definitely a fan of older stuff, older movies were more about the suspense and thrill as opposed to shock factor. I'm interested in hearing what others come up with :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline shockponie

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 08:51:13 AM »
I like horror movies. Instead of going to prom, I went to see House of Wax with my best friend. Lol. I don't regret that decision. I liked it, and prom's not my style. That being said, I must be twisted because nothing scares me. I saw Human Centipede 2 and it was creepy, but eh. :shrug: Have you seen Silent Hill? I liked that. Hmmm... I remember Gothika being underrated (wait, that's more of a thriller). I liked House of 1000 Corpses. The Hills Have Eyes was good but there's a... sexual abuse scene in there. I think I liked Darkness Falls too. The Ring & The Grudge were pretty popular for awhile, but they're pretty tame. I saw The Possession on Netflix a couple weeks ago, and I didn't think it was that good. You know what I highly recommend? Tucker and Dale vs Evil. It's like a comedic horror movie.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 08:55:19 AM by shockponie »
Avatar by Shenanigans; Sig by Shaiyeh

Offline ponybanker

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 08:57:41 AM »
Dawn of the dead (2004 edition), wrong turn, 28 days later... there is a tv show called Paranormal Witness on Sci Fi channel i love too thats pretty scary sometimes lol

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 09:48:01 AM »
I like Japanese horror movies like the Ju-On series, remade into The Grudge for Western audiences. The originals are much scarier, IMO. Something about foreign horror feels especially scary to me. Maybe it's the extra element of different language & settings that add to the scary ambiance.
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

kaninchen

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 10:35:41 AM »
pontypool
cabin in the woods
los chronoscrimenes
rec.

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 11:04:41 AM »
You'd probably enjoy Session 9.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Skitterbug

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 11:13:33 AM »
Cabin in the Woods was really good, though I don't know if it's quite the type of horror you're looking for - i think it's technically satire, but I enjoyed it (plus, it's written by Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard.)

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 11:16:51 AM »

I recently watched that, and yes, I was creeped out by it.  I think I prefer psychological horror to OMG-that-guy-got-his-leg-ripped-off-and-now a-random-SFX-monster/spirit-is-chasing-us horror.  Stuff that MIGHT be there is scarier to me than stuff that IS there. 

I really enjoyed both Haunting in Connecticut movies.  They both had a plot that I felt was engaging.  Then I watched Poltergeist and was bored (though I found out they used real skeletons instead of prop ones, which was neat).  Oh!  I also enjoyed The Hole, which wasn't so much scary as it was just fun. 

Offline court2882

• Twinkle Eye Pony
  • I love pony armies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 12:10:47 PM »
MikeysGrrl:  I am also not huge on the gory stuff.  I've never encountered The Collector, so I will have a look.  I enjoy both old horror and new horror. As well as, I am ashamed to admit, some very B horror movies, though I have to be in the right mood for each type.  I am still a little afraid of Human Centipede, not from a that's scary perspective so much as a that's gross one.

I love horror, but I have an overactive imagination, so I can for sure picture things in my room that are not there.

Shockponie: For House of Wax I assume you mean the new one.  I love the Vincent Price version.  Not really scary, but I think it is a great classic movie. No sexual abuse scene can be as bad as the original Last House on the Left.  Can't watch it, it makes me sick.  I will have to try to watch the Hills Have Eyes. 

Dawn of the dead (2004 edition), wrong turn, 28 days later... there is a tv show called Paranormal Witness on Sci Fi channel i love too thats pretty scary sometimes lol

I never saw Wrong Turn, though I know of it.  I will have to add it to the list. I've also never heard of that show. I will have to track it down.

I like Japanese horror movies like the Ju-On series, remade into The Grudge for Western audiences. The originals are much scarier, IMO. Something about foreign horror feels especially scary to me. Maybe it's the extra element of different language & settings that add to the scary ambiance.
  I've seen most of them, original and remake. I have been meaning to see the original The Eye and the original Pulse.

pontypool
cabin in the woods
los chronoscrimenes
rec.

Rec. I've seen, it was ok.  Those are two new ones though.  Cabin in the Woods was amazing. Skitterbug, it was absolutely a satire, but if you know enough about the genre to comprehend the throwbacks, particularly the things in those boxes, it is truly an amazing movie. Not overly scary though. 

I will absolutely give that a watch :) Skeen, I agree with you.  I prefer the psychological stuff for sure.  I saw The Hole and really liked it, though I agree not so scary.  Very early Keira Knightley. I think I have only seen the first Haunting in Connecticut.  I will have to add the second to the list.

Thank you for everything so far!!

« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 12:16:46 PM by court2882 »

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 01:54:00 PM »
the ghost stories of M.R.James (a warning to the curious,room 13 ,the ash tree ,a veiw from the hill and wistel and ill come to you 1968 version )not slasher films but very creepy !!!especialy the last one
also the ice house and the signalman
cabin in the woods if you like a bit of tounge in check !
house at the end of the road. I also love the Ealing Studios film Dead of Night. The story about the dummy is particularly creepy! 
xaflamex
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 02:09:57 PM by Aflame »

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 02:03:26 PM »
Best of luck finding the perfect movie!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline court2882

• Twinkle Eye Pony
  • I love pony armies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 02:30:12 PM »
the ghost stories of M.R.James (a warning to the curious,room 13 ,the ash tree ,a veiw from the hill and wistel and ill come to you 1968 version )not slasher films but very creepy !!!especialy the last one
also the ice house and the signalman
cabin in the woods if you like a bit of tounge in check !
house at the end of the road. I also love the Ealing Studios film Dead of Night. The story about the dummy is particularly creepy! 
xaflamex

That is a lot I haven't heard of.  Thank you!

Best of luck finding the perfect movie!

Thank you Kaoskat!  I hope I will :)

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 02:33:50 PM »
Human Centipede is terrifyingly gross.  The sequel is just too awful for me to watch again.  I mean, the movie isn't awful,  but the subject matter.  Oh my, no, I'm having flashbacks :cries:  It's too awful!!

...anyway...

I'm a fan of Ginger Snaps, but it's not THAT scary...just...well, it's fun to watch :)

Black Sheep (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0779982/) is a bit too funny to be taken seriously.  (I've played this during parties and it's always a hit)

Oooh, yeah, Aflame, House at the End of the Street!  That's a good one.

6 Souls  (entertaining)

Feed

Mama (made me inappropriately "LOL" in the theater towards the end...it could have been better towards the end...)

The Stuff (cheesy horror goodness)

The Mist

Offline happycootie

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • G1 collector & animal lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 02:47:16 PM »
The Exorcism of Emily Rose is pretty unsettling.

Since you like Vincent Price, i think his best creepy ones are The Fall of the House of Usher, The Pit and the Pendulum, Last Man on Earth, & The Tomb of Ligeia. He has a small part in Leave Her to Heaven, but Gene Tierney is the wicked one there. ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal