collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Your occupation- what do you do for a living?  (Read 2896 times)

Offline wyndeboo

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Your occupation- what do you do for a living?
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2013, 12:51:52 PM »
I am the department manager for Fabrics, Crafts, Stationary, and Celebrations at Walmart
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 12:59:23 PM by wyndeboo »

Offline Rhubarbpie

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2013, 01:01:37 PM »
I am a Quality Controller for a factory making circuit boards. I inspect the finished product before it goes to the customer.  I also pack them if dispatch is busy.

GothMummy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2013, 01:12:35 PM »
My degree is in archaeology and classical civilisation (which I love) but it does not pay well to work in that field so I work for a University. I do enjoy my job, but my heart breaks a little every day when I send my toddler to her childminder for a day of fun and I go off to work.
But the bills need paying... and thats the reality of life. Im fortunate in that I do short days so we do get to play as well.

Offline andibgoode

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Andi B. Goode
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2013, 02:14:35 PM »

I'm currently doing an MA in Art History, which is taking up most of my time!

Do you have a specific interest/period? I did Medieval Studies and minored in Religious Art, so interesting  ^.^

My thesis focuses on contemporary art photography by women (specifically depictions of girlhood and how it intersects with cinema). Outside of my thesis I love photography of most styles and the rest of the art I truly love is from the Modern era on (even post modern and contemporary). Definitely looked at some religious art in my undergrad though! :) Definitely interesting.
:good: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :art:
Monster High dolls for sale

Schitterboogje

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2013, 03:17:20 PM »
Since 5 months I work as a volunteer in an elderly centre  :)  I be there 3 times a week and I do activities with the people who live there.. like playing games, singing or creative things  :) I really like it!
I didn't work for 4 years because of anxiety issues and anorexia  so this way I can get used to work again.  :)

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2013, 03:20:01 PM »
I'm a PhD student, but technically I could be working as a Fisheries Biologist with my M.S... Soon I'll be Dr. Sunshine Fishy McPonypants
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2013, 04:26:43 PM »
I was a high school teacher, but I have since changed careers and now do freelance character designs for games.  I also start a full-time job in insurance later this month.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline rearing_palomino164

• MOC Mimic
  • Share a smile at least once a day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2013, 04:41:02 PM »
I'm a pet care manager at a pet store. I pretty much take care of all the animals and take them to vet offices. I also adopt out kitties and choose the right owner for them. It's a good job, but someday I want to work in a vet office.

You are the memory that lives on forever, the shadow that stands by our side.

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2013, 05:14:22 PM »
Well I'm a Barista... I make awesome coffee (and sandwiches when the chef isn't on shift) as well as any other hot beverage you can think of that I have the ingredients for. I also train new staff for all cafe duties, and have been doing a lot of mopping lately! What is it with people not knowing how to mop a floor that they actually have to be shown??! I work in a (thankfully private) hospital cafe, so I get a diverse range of customers and their emotions, so I've learned a lot about customer service and medicine at the same time!

Before here I've been a jillaroo, a bartender, a waitress, and an accounts clerk, as well as a receptionist. My plan is to stay here another year or two as a casual to save some money, then I'll hopefully be moving into something full-time (big pay drop, but the bank will accept it as valid income) so that I can get credit to buy a house. My husband works full-time, so right now we can only get credit in his name, but he has a bad history due to an identity theft issue that was never properly cleared up.

Dream job? Horse trainer/breeder. I'd really love to have a small stud (two or three mares) for breeding a few children's ponies which I would train up myself. I grew up on great little ponies, and have seen so many dangerous yet gorgeous ponies.. it makes me sad that these ponies that obviously aren't suitable are being bred. Someone needs to raise the bar! A good pony is priceless, and my main childhood pony had people throwing money at me for years. Pretty, smart and quiet. All of them should be that way, and it makes me sad and angry that they aren't! I guess it's just something I'm passionate about, sorry for the rant, lol!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Navi

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2013, 05:14:45 PM »
I also tutor several students: currently teaching Dutch, English, German, Latin and Greek.

Now, let's hear from you guys :) I hope you will share!

Woah, so many languages!  :shocked: I'm jealous!

I'm a falconer! Our center does bird rehab and education as well. I love it :heart:

:heart: Minty! :heart:

Seeking Petite Ponies (trade/wish list)
Formerly known as navichan.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2013, 05:18:36 PM »
These are always interesting threads!  I have a pretty boring job- lawyer.  I used to be an R.N. though :D

Now I'm curious as to what kind of lawyer :)

Litigation defense (er... for a biiiiig company)- I guess what I DO isn't actually boring so much as aggravating-  but it does sound so every-day compared to falconer, print production artist, mysterious CIA accountant... :D

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2013, 05:38:42 PM »
I recently graduated with a graphic design degree. A few years before that I had been studying to be an x-ray tech. I still somewhat regret quitting that... but I told everyone that I "wanted to make cute stuff". And... I make cute stuff!!!

I work for a very big creative company, and I get to work with all of the incoming artwork. *_*; We work with so many talented people around the world, and I feel so lucky to be able to be able to be in my position. Usually I just fix up the art so it meets our company's standards, but at times I get to add to the art.

With the way our company works, I'm not exactly apart of production, but I kind of am. We work in a very weird manner. I'm more so quality control-- if I had to put a word to it.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2013, 06:04:07 PM »
I am a professional fundraiser and member of the AFP, which is a world of difference from a professional solicitor.  :D 

Basically, if you are a charity and you need to convince people why your program/s need funding... I'm your girl! 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline ThriftyPony

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Fakie Hideout - Fakie ID Guide & More
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2013, 07:33:10 PM »
My "day job" is basically being the jack-of-all trades at an optometry office/optical store. I function as their receptionist, secretary, cleaning lady... I train new contact lens wearers, I write/design documents, pamphlets, lettters, etc, ANNND most of all, I assist the doctor with eye exams, doing the preliminary tests and asking the patients medical history questions. BLAH. I hate my job. Too much work and not enough pay, but there aren't a lot of jobs in my field of study these days, so you take what you can get.

I also work for myself as a crafter/vintage dealer on etsy and ebay. I make jewelry, and sew. I hunt for awesome vintage clothing, jewelry, and accessories at thrift stores, yard sales, and estate sales and flip them online. That part of my life is has been on hiatus due to my laptop being broken. It really stinks not having that money coming in each month. Ideally, I want to be able to do this full-time.

I am also a writer. That is what I went to college for, and that has always been my passion. I do a little free-lance but also write my own work to hopefully be published. I do editing and proofreading where and when I can.

If I could write, make jewelry, and pick vintage and live off of that, I'd be a happy girl. I HATE my job so so so much, but I need to pay these pesky student loans and "rent" bills that keep coming around.

Love seeing everyone else's jobs. I always feel jealous of people who have found a career that makes them happy. :P

Offline elvenwine26

• Super Secret Squirrel
  • Trade Count: (+143)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2013, 08:07:00 PM »
If I had to sum up what my jobs involve it's basically a metric ton of CUSTOMER SERVICE!
My primary job is as a receptionist at a dental office. Which basically involves collections, insurance wrangling, answering a gazillion questions,  and in general a whole bunch of customer service.  It's okay but I don't enjoy the part where I have to squeeze money from poor people who need expensive treatment.  Especially when portions are wound up and blurry with insurance tossing generally unspecified amounts in.  The lack of cut and dried portions really peeves me.  The people are very nice and I love my coworkers. but  I am shopping around for other day jobs atm.

I also work at one of the local malls as retail drone/sales associate for a fancy lotions and potions shop.  It's pretty fun in that it's easy and most of our products actually work really well.  I've been working retail boutique jobs on the side pretty steadily for the past 4 years now. 

Previously I sold chocolate.  Which was both fun and bad.  Damn these chocolate hips!  I've also worked a field laborer for the USDA which was super fun in regards to being in the sunshine and hanging out with all the fresh yummy fruit.  Hey quality control!

I'm currently in the market for a 3rd job since my car went to crap and I'm basically going to have to replace it within the next year if not less than that. Ugh.   Also student loans. Hmmph. 
Even though I'm griping, I do enjoy my jobs 95% of the time, especially all the weird stories they generate and the people I meet.  In an ideal world I would only have to work one job where I get to interact  with people everyday without having to use my sparkle charm layer to get money out of them or even money matters in general.  The only thing I want to "collect" is a paycheck. lol
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 08:08:40 PM by elvenwine26 »
"How much for the horse tornado?"
"Sir, that's a carousel."
"I must have it!"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal