collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Your occupation- what do you do for a living?  (Read 2845 times)

Offline Nienna

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Your occupation- what do you do for a living?
« on: September 18, 2013, 05:41:24 AM »
Just curious! I realise not everyone can go into great detail, but I would love to know what you do in your daily life, since I think the lot of us here is a very diverse bunch with very different lives and I would like to hear about yours :)

I currently work two parttime jobs. I have two Masters degrees (Celtic Studies and Latin) but unfortunately there aren't a lot of job opportunities in those fields. I have to keep busy though and of course need money to live and buy ponies with, so  :P

First job is being a customer service manager for a big supermarket chain (comparable to Tesco's). I've worked for this particular store for a long time, I was a cashier there when I was a student and I love the customers. It's slightly boring, but pays well and I have lovely colleagues.

The second job I started in January of this year, and I am very happy I was able to find this. I coach highschool students that have learning difficulties like ADD, ADHD and dyslexia. I also tutor several students: currently teaching Dutch, English, German, Latin and Greek.

Now, let's hear from you guys :) I hope you will share!
She is
Cinderella in disguise, or the mermaid in despite
Of her very human feet, dancing in her ballroom suite

Sandra

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Your occupation- what do you do for a living?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 05:43:28 AM »
Well, I'm a fulltime student. I'm getting my Bachelor's in Secondary Education with a concentration in History. So hopefully I can find a job as a high school History/Social Studies teacher once I graduate next year. :)

Offline nessy_86

• Trade Count: (+93)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 05:46:06 AM »
Well honestly I can't give too much detail, but--

I work for the federal government in Washington, DC as an CPA/Accountant. I work between the Pentagon and another federal building.

Offline andibgoode

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Andi B. Goode
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 06:03:20 AM »
I'm currently doing an MA in Art History, which is taking up most of my time!
:good: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :art:
Monster High dolls for sale

Offline Eldarwen

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 06:16:09 AM »
Right now im a student. There is really no word in english for what I am going to be, but I can work in animal clinics, something like vet's assistant. Im probably going to continue studying after this though, so hopefully one day I will be a veterinarian.   

Offline kezrob23

• my heart beats true for the Red and the Blue
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 06:30:55 AM »
i'm a chef, a chauffeur, a nurse, a maid, a financial controller, a personal shopper, a mediator. i work full time, plus am on call 24/7... but best of all i'm a comfy lap to sit on. yep, i'm a mum!! pre kids i was a credit controller/debt collector, with a bit of accounts receivable too.

Offline dashesndots

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • My facebook Art page
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 06:38:30 AM »
I'm a graphic designer at a major coin retailer.  I work on catalogs and promotional material mostly, and some packaging. :)

Offline Katika

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 07:04:06 AM »
I went to school to become a vet, but ended up falling in love with a military man that had already wedged himself quite firmly in his career, so I settled for obtaining my Bachelor's, figuring I could still get work with that (Ha.  Ha.  Ha.)

True story about military wives with college degrees - nobody wants to hire them.  Potential employers are either scared off by the prospect of you needing to move in a hurry (and them not being able to do anything about it), the fact that you have a degree means that they "have" to pay you more, or the places that actually will hire you stick you in the crappy grunt jobs where you're taking orders from people who you grossly overqualify for even their position.  Long story short?  I'm unemployed at the time.

So, my "work day" consists of about ten hours a day worth of taking care of our farm and trying to manage our money-pit rental property in Florida from halfway across the country.  I'm currently managing 5 acres, 3 horses, a flock of chickens, 5 cats, 2 dogs, 3 household birds and some fish. 

Offline court2882

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • I love pony armies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 07:06:35 AM »
This is a really interesting post! I am so excited to see everyone's replies :)  I'm a tax and estate planning lawyer.  Most of my clients own private corporations and businesses, as that is my specialty. I really find it interesting.

Offline ponybabe

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 07:08:20 AM »
Unfortunately I'm jobless at the moment despite a M. Sc. degree and a Lab Tech degree :( The job situation is bad here for newly educated (especially if your connections stink like mine do) and every workplace I've applied to that had jobs at my education level have rejected me due to lack of experience (kinda hard to get experience when they all use that excuse :() while jobs "below" my degree they tell me I'm over qualified, keeping me unemployed :huh: I'm taking a break from the job hunt at the moment after I was very unjustly fired from a job I had as a Lab Tech (during my 3 month trial period) because the other Lab Tech felt threatened by my M. Sc. degree even though I was in no way arrogant about it or tried to play leader :huh: They used a bunch of other silly excuses but I know the truth :mad:

But with any luck, I'll be a stay at home mom within 1-1½ years, depending on how fast I can get pregnant :) :lovey: I'm 34 so my clock is ticking :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Many thanks to Nence for my adorable sig with my cat Chani in it and Btd for my lovely avatar!

Offline alkevin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 07:19:45 AM »
I´m unemployed too. My country is going though a huge economic crisis. Many people are unemployed .

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 07:22:32 AM »
Well, normally I would say "teacher" but I'm on leave this year.

So, my other job is group fitness instructor. I teach BodyCombat. :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

divalei

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 07:25:17 AM »
Unfortunately jobless. Though, I do work for myself as a game maker but officially jobless. My occupations are mainly game maker focusing on game and character designing and secondly freelance illustrator.

I hope I can apply for university next year to study history and become Indiana Jones :P

Offline Nienna

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 07:28:48 AM »
Very interesting to read, thank you guys!

Well honestly I can't give too much detail, but--

I work for the federal government in Washington, DC as an CPA/Accountant. I work between the Pentagon and another federal building.

Oooh sounds very intriguing, haha!

I'm currently doing an MA in Art History, which is taking up most of my time!

Do you have a specific interest/period? I did Medieval Studies and minored in Religious Art, so interesting  ^.^

i'm a chef, a chauffeur, a nurse, a maid, a financial controller, a personal shopper, a mediator. i work full time, plus am on call 24/7... but best of all i'm a comfy lap to sit on. yep, i'm a mum!! pre kids i was a credit controller/debt collector, with a bit of accounts receivable too.

This is a very important, and BIG job!!

To those who are unemployed, I hope you find something soon! it's not easy at all right now but I am crossing my fingers it will get better for everyone!
She is
Cinderella in disguise, or the mermaid in despite
Of her very human feet, dancing in her ballroom suite

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 08:06:01 AM »
Oh lol I remember these threads coming up.

Well I would have said teacher, but I'm not teaching this year. I thought I would leave my district and try for a better district. I didn't get the job though everyone seemed to want me to have a masters, so I'm going back to school, working as a substitute and night job I hate. :lol:
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal