collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Must Unpackage?  (Read 1216 times)

Offline Motion-Paradox

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
Must Unpackage?
« on: July 07, 2013, 01:12:24 PM »
Looking around I've noticed a number of people admitting to having this quirk and it caused me to wonder; why is it that some people feel the need to take their Ponies out of the package?

I know that a number of people were disappointed that the Vinyl Scratch figure from the year's Pony Fair and Comic Con needs to be kept in it's package and remember seeing a case where somebody found a pair of Takara Fakie Babies in their original package and was wondering what to do with them since they had only wanted the toys but didn't want to open the package since they had never seen them on their cards before and a surprising number of people suggested documenting the package and opening it.

I suppose it's a bit of an alien concept for me since I've had toys that I personally set aside as "keep in box" since at least age 8 and even when I've displayed toys dolls and things outside of their package I've always kept the box in good shape so I could slip them back in

Offline Starly

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Must Unpackage?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 01:17:43 PM »
Anyone who CAN keep ponies and other toys in boxes for long periods of time for seemingly no reason is a quirk to me instead of the other way around! Why buy toys if you're just going to stare at them and not play with them?

Sillyness. But everyone has their views and opinions.
When the Equestria Girls dolls show up in stores and you end up with unneeded doubles, PM me! I'll buy them!/i]

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 01:17:58 PM »
If you don't open it, how are you supposed to play with it?

Offline Yuitsu

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Gamer Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 01:20:55 PM »
There's some speculation that leaving ponies/vintage plastic toys MOC can actually cause plasticiser breakdown a lot faster than if they are loose - that sealed bubble effectively becomes a breeding ground for problems in some ponies.

Standard playline toys don't really need to be kept MOC, collectors/special editions, possibly depending on the edition number - some special editions have such a high production number it's ridiculous.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Winter Bones

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 01:21:57 PM »
It's just a personal preference for me, really. When I get a new pony I love de-boxing her and styling her hair; it keeps me attached to my collection knowing each pony is something I've spent time on. De-boxing also helps me conserve space, since I live in an apartment and don't have the wall or shelf space to properly hang up or display MIBs. That being said, if I buy a prototype or a factory error MIP I'll usually keep it that way, as well as G1-G3 ponies of course, because I don't want to severely devalue them.

BigHicks1977

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 01:24:31 PM »
One of the things I love about my toys MIP is the package art itself AKA blister and sometimes the blister can look as good if not better that the toy but at the end of the day its what makes you happy

Mlphammy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 01:26:17 PM »
How do you comb the pony's hair if it's MOC?  :P

I'm kinda in the middle, some of my G4's stay MIB.

Offline Cynosure

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 01:29:25 PM »
I've always admired people who can stand to keep their toys MIB. I have really poor self control, and when I buy a pony or a doll, I want to play with it; I want to brush its hair and pose it and put it on my shelf and my desk and on top of the tv.

If I ever ended up with a MIB pony, I'd definitely trade it for loose ponies. Much more fun.

Offline LadySiha

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • I'll meet you across the sea...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 01:33:51 PM »
I unbox, because I love to play with pony hair!  Styling it is really de-stressing to me. 
Secondly, I (personally) find them easier to display out of the box. 
I collect lots of video game related action figures too (mainly Mass Effect, Final Fantasy and Gears of War).  If I kept all of them, as well as my ponies in boxes I'd be drowning in figures left in packaging! 
I have 2 exceptions to this rule!  One figure I found with a color alternation (still not sure if intentional or not), and a gift a friend got me that was a figure in the wrong character's box!  If something like this happened with a pony, I'd likely do the same.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 01:45:10 PM »
It's always, to each their own.

For me, there is a large amount of joy opening up an item. That-- and I do not have space to store MIB items.

I don't think it's weird if someone wants to keep something MIB.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 01:58:40 PM »
Cool, I'm quirky now.
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 02:06:57 PM »
I collect anime figures as well as ponies and I unbox all of them (keep the boxes, though) and keep them in a glass cabinet. Why? Because my collection will have to be pried from my cold, dead hands so their resell value means very little to me =P I can understand why other collectors might want to keep theirs minty but yeah, I don't xD I wouldn't be able to display mine in their boxes, either, due to lack of space.

I have two ponies still in their packaging - G4 Diamond Rose and Sunset Shimmer (who will be unpackaged when I can be bothered to tame her hair). DR will probably remain boxed. I wanted her for a long time and so I want to keep her a little more special than the others.
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline Bergamot

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Wafflehaus
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 02:12:52 PM »
I'm an immediate deboxer! I love taking my knick-knacks out of their packaging and setting them up in their place on my shelves. They seem more lively to me like this!

I also don't have the space necessary to keep an MOC/MIB collection of toys, so that's all the more reason for me! :P

Offline Heartcease

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 02:14:17 PM »
Because they'll be all sad if they don't get out of their packages and get loved.  Carry-over from childhood :D
We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream. - Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 02:22:15 PM »
I've never gotten any MOC MIP ponies but for a G2 Ivy in her baggy, which yes, I did unbag her, because I'm one of those people who believe and knows that in some situations, keeping something MOC/MIP can be damaging.

I have, on the other hand, gotten Mint in package dolls from the 1930's to 1950's, and my issue is that I can't take them out and display them.  I have *always* sold these on, because it just doesn't work for me.  I won't remove these items because I know how rare they are, so I instead pass them onto collectors who do appreciate it and do enjoy it.  Me, my dolls all sit up on the headboard of my bed.  I don't have the sort of space for display in mint in the box or the card.  Besides, I'm too touchy-feely.

I did once get a Japanese doll from the 1880's who still had her wooden box, but she had been removed from it on and off.  I did toss it, shamefully enough, knowing I shouldn't, given the rarity, but I'm extremely unlikely to sell this doll, and I don't have the space to store wooden storage crates. . .  It's bad enough I have a Geisha's wig in a wooden storage box that I want rid of and can't seem to find a buyer for. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal