collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Must Unpackage?  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Sonata

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
Re: Must Unpackage?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 02:25:46 PM »
There's some speculation that leaving ponies/vintage plastic toys MOC can actually cause plasticiser breakdown a lot faster than if they are loose - that sealed bubble effectively becomes a breeding ground for problems in some ponies.

Standard playline toys don't really need to be kept MOC, collectors/special editions, possibly depending on the edition number - some special editions have such a high production number it's ridiculous.

It shouldn't be speculation anymore, it's the truth. Over time, leaving anything without letting air circulate through them makes them deteriorate. It is also true that the plastic used in toy boxes (the clear PVC-type plastic) damages stuff A LOT. That is why I always let everything free, even if I keep the box for myself and independently of how rare/vintage/collectors edition it is.

Offline Jinxxy

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Fancy Rats, Fursuiting and Neon green ponies!
    • View Profile
    • http://mlparena.com!!!
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2013, 02:43:35 PM »
I can definitely understand the value.
A 3 dollar G1 pony will be a 40 dollar one in the case of it being MIP.

For me however, the joy of my little pony is being able to display, photograph, dress up and style them, so having them only being able to hang on the wall doesn't do much for me.. :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Also seeking QBs Hat, 2017 easter egg RD

thekozmicpig

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2013, 04:12:56 PM »
I have, on the other hand, gotten Mint in package dolls from the 1930's to 1950's, and my issue is that I can't take them out and display them.  I have *always* sold these on, because it just doesn't work for me.  I won't remove these items because I know how rare they are, so I instead pass them onto collectors who do appreciate it and do enjoy it.

Yeah, I have this quirk too with other items I collect.

"Oooo...I want this one! It's in great shape! And it's from the 70s! And....it's still sealed. I'd feel bad opening it. I can't do this."

Yeah, I like my stuff opened, though I have no idea what I'm going to do if I cave and buy this one figure off ebay. It's SO AWESOME. But it's the only one I've seen and in box and I can't open the box gently like my anime figurines.

Sigh.

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2013, 04:17:48 PM »
I have, on the other hand, gotten Mint in package dolls from the 1930's to 1950's, and my issue is that I can't take them out and display them.  I have *always* sold these on, because it just doesn't work for me.  I won't remove these items because I know how rare they are, so I instead pass them onto collectors who do appreciate it and do enjoy it.

Yeah, I have this quirk too with other items I collect.

"Oooo...I want this one! It's in great shape! And it's from the 70s! And....it's still sealed. I'd feel bad opening it. I can't do this."

Yeah, I like my stuff opened, though I have no idea what I'm going to do if I cave and buy this one figure off ebay. It's SO AWESOME. But it's the only one I've seen and in box and I can't open the box gently like my anime figurines.

Sigh.

I have a couple of Transformers figures that I take in and out of the boxes.  I have a pre-TF Takara one, and he's all mint and stuff but he comes out of his box easily enough to put back and such, and then I have a reissue Silverstreak that has been in and out of his box.  But other than that, that's is for stuff in the box.  And oh, some Micromachines Starwars Xwings.  That I haven't yet found a way of getting rid of. 

Offline Tap Dancer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Dance 'n Prance with me! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2013, 04:22:34 PM »
I'm kinda in the middle, some of my G4's stay MIB.

Same here. Most of the time I like to open things and touch them. However, all of my SDCC and Fair ponies are MIP. I also have a few MOC/MIB G1 and G3 ponies. I might open them one day, but who knows?

It's always, to each their own.

For me, there is a large amount of joy opening up an item. That-- and I do not have space to store MIB items.

I don't think it's weird if someone wants to keep something MIB.

:ohyeah:

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2013, 04:31:05 PM »
While I don't think it's weird to keep things MIB (I have a few dolls that way,) I like opening most of my toys - I like to play with the hair and set up displays and such.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Leegeta

• Firefighter Chick
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2013, 04:32:56 PM »
I'm a huge MIB/MOC collector, i love looking at them in their original packages
*<3 <3Seeking MIB DREAM BEAUTIES! <3 <3*
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Leegeta\'s Collection

SajiNoKami

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2013, 04:37:28 PM »
I prefer out. Now if I every came across a MIP g1, I would probably try to trade if for a loose one. I have random g4s MIP because they are hanging on the wall or stacked on a shelf, I am changing this soon though. I want to store them how I store others, in a bag, in a dark bin, in the closet.

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2013, 02:16:20 AM »
I like to keep my large G4s MIB, to keep their hair tidy and I love the box art. The only other ponies I have MOC are Lanards.

I respect that if it's your pony you can do what you want with it, but MOC G1s just seem so special. If I just wanted a really mint G1 I'd buy one loose, not buy a MOC and de-card... In fact, if someone told me they had de-carded a Posey I think I might just tear up... sell it to me!  :cry:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 02:43:41 AM by T.L.Squiggle »
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2013, 02:24:41 AM »
Because to me - it is supposed to be opened. I do collect the packaging and keep it if it is nice and have cool artwork (like the G1s do!). But I always open. What's the point in just keeping it inside the box? You can't hold the toy, play with it or brush it. Toys are supposed to be opened up! :biggrin:

ANd yes, I would open up a G1 too - unless I planned to sell it(because that would be just stupid since the price would decrease so much...). One of my fondest toy memories as a kid is opening up ponies - and I'm in this hobby because of my memories from childhood. I would love to buy a MOC one day just to open it up and have my "last" new pony to the herd. I just haven't figured out which pony that would be yet... For the longest time I thought it might be Blossom, but now the Blossom I already have is kind of settled in... so now I guess it would need to be someone else! :P (I don't do doubles very well...)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 02:30:03 AM by katrine2309 »
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline moonsugar

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • my Tumblr blog (may occasionally contain adult content)
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 02:31:40 AM »
Yup, toys are definitely supposed to be loved. C:
:fox:

Offline Pandora

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2013, 02:48:33 AM »
I too am a deboxer.   :biggrin:  Hubby always marvels at me when I take my collector's ponies out. 

Offline ravengusty

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2013, 03:22:39 AM »
As you will see from my sig I am a deboxer and I really don't care anymore what people think of me for it. There was a thread once before where some were saying it was awful to open G1s and it's preferred that you don't. And there was a few things about people who have the free them mentality. They didn't like my opinion. But my stance on removing ponies from cards and boxes is this;

No.1 I earn the money that pays for the majority of my collection so if I got a MOC/MIB and I wanted to open it I can do because I paid for it and I own it.

No.2 My collection belongs to me not the collecting community so it is mine to do as I please.

No.3 My Little Ponies are toys, they are not meant to spend forever behind a piece of plastic.

This is my opinion, I mostly buy loose ponies simply because they are cheaper however I did buy the CP 25th Anniversary box with Snuzzle, Minty and Blossom and yes they have been opened. I wasn't going to let them rot inside a plastic box, though I have kept the box for the artwork  :biggrin:

I might add as an extra note, I'm not spoiling for a fight this is just my opinion, it must take an enormous amount of willpower for collectors to keep their toys in boxes and I respect that. It's just not me I'm afraid and it never will be.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 03:28:48 AM by ravengusty »
my new fan page https://www.facebook.com/princessofpowerukfan
:socks:
Just so you know...I open boxes! My cash, my pony, my choice  :biggrin:
Respect to Box lovers you have stronger will than I do...peace  :)

Offline BlueyBirdy

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • Bird horse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2013, 05:15:01 AM »
I have no room for boxed ponies these days. Back when I had 100+ G3s I kept most of them boxed but very swiftly ran out of room. I even hung them from the ceiling!  :lol:
So save for a few special G3s and my first ever G4 I would probably de-box any new G4 ponies.

I strongly disagree with de-boxing G1s. The only G1 I ever removed from the card was a Scrumptious whose card was destroyed by terrible packaging (she was packed in two plastic shopping bags and then wrapped with brown paper! >_<) But then I was so paranoid about damaging her or losing an accessory that I packed her away anyway!
There will always be a loose G1 to add to a collection. How do you know if the G1 you're de-carding isn't the only MOC one left? To me it's chipping away a small but significant part of the history of the brand. There's also probably a collector out there who would give you their right arm for that particular MOC.

It is nice however to smell the "new pony smell" and realise that apart from the factory workers you are the first person to handle the pony. There is also the argument that the packaging can end up damaging the toy if it's not stored correctly. Dark coloured accessories (like the ones that came with the Halloween G3s) and even back cards have been known to leave marks on ponies. Some marks are not removable as the leech into the plastic, like the bright pink "saddle sores" you get on G1s who've worn the saddle accessory too long.

With the new ponies there are a lot more collectors around so MIBs and MOCs, with the exception of the rare and special ones, are probably going to worth a lot less in a good few years when the line has ended. There are also non-collectors who buy popular toys and then sit on them hoping to make some money later.

I'm not going to hate anyone for what they do or don't do with their ponies. :P The diversity of approaches to collecting is what makes this community fun! :biggrin:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 05:18:47 AM by BlueyBirdy »
Formerly known as BluePhoenix

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2013, 05:43:31 AM »

I'm not going to hate anyone for what they do or don't do with their ponies. :P The diversity of approaches to collecting is what makes this community fun! :biggrin:

Exactly! :nod: I totally agree with you on this statement - I don't mind anyone keeping their ponies MOC/MIB (of course I don't!!), but that is just not me. Not even with G1s ;)
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal