collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Must Unpackage?  (Read 1254 times)

Offline Rosette

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Pony Mail is Happy Mail :D
    • View Profile
    • My LiveJournal Blog
Re: Must Unpackage?
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2013, 05:52:58 AM »
From a financial standpoint, it doesn't make a lot of sense to buy a MOC G1pony and then debox it.  A loose mint pony costs only a fraction of what she'd be in the packaging--so why not buy the mint loose pony, save your money, and preserve that MOC for the future collecting community?

I don't understand making the choice to unbox a g1 at this point...and I cringe when I see it done...but everyone makes their own calls on that.

I, personally, love the 1980s toy store time warp effect of having lots of MOC/MIB and am thankfully not plagued by any temptation to open them.  :). I just buy another one loose!  :D
I'm the Pony formerly known as "songtoisis".   ^.^

Offline ravengusty

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2013, 06:31:29 AM »
I get really confused with this topic because lets face it they're still just pieces of plastic with hair and the odd accessory.

I don't understand this preserving ponies for future collectors...I'm buying my ponies for me not for someone else. I don't agree with that but it's just my opinion.  :biggrin:

As someone once said in a previous thread (and it was a moderator) your collection is your collection and no one should try to make you feel bad for opening your toys instead of leaving them in the box.

For those who keep ponies in boxes much respect...I have not the willpower for keeping them in boxes.  :biggrin:  And all my ponies are mine and if ever the days comes where I no longer want them they'll be packed away and stored until I feel I want them again. I'm hoping that one day I'll have kids and be able to pass them on and have my children enjoy playing with ponies.

There is nothing wrong with taking a pony out of a box or off a card if you own it.  ;)

Sorry if I've offended anyone with my opinion it's just the way my mind is I'm afraid  :blush:
my new fan page https://www.facebook.com/princessofpowerukfan
:socks:
Just so you know...I open boxes! My cash, my pony, my choice  :biggrin:
Respect to Box lovers you have stronger will than I do...peace  :)

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2013, 07:55:46 AM »
From a financial standpoint, it doesn't make a lot of sense to buy a MOC G1pony and then debox it.  A loose mint pony costs only a fraction of what she'd be in the packaging--so why not buy the mint loose pony, save your money, and preserve that MOC for the future collecting community?

Agreed! It does not make much sense and it is not logical, but why does it have to make sense?

To me collecting ponies has nothing to do with sense or logic. It is all about emotion. Childhood memories and joy and to find a way to recreate those feelings. So, I would do it because of that feeling I get when I open up a pony, the joy and the memories of pure happiness! And it has nothing to do with getting a mint pony, as I would have no guarantee that she would be actually mint (the likeliness of that is actually smaller than with a loose one...)

BUT, I would not open a G1 I did not intend to keep in my small collection. It would be a well thought through action to open it.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 07:57:39 AM by katrine2309 »
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline ravengusty

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2013, 08:02:26 AM »
Yep I agree with this ponies are for fun, nonsense, no sense, nostalgia and walking down memory lane for me not for financial gain. I don't buy ponies to sell them on later. I do the odd trade here and there but I don't sell them anymore. The only time I would is if I needed cash and there was nothing left in the savings and for that kind of occasion I have Monster High dolls who aren't worth as much to me mentally as my ponies.

Post Merge: July 08, 2013, 08:07:15 AM

There's some speculation that leaving ponies/vintage plastic toys MOC can actually cause plasticiser breakdown a lot faster than if they are loose - that sealed bubble effectively becomes a breeding ground for problems in some ponies.

Standard playline toys don't really need to be kept MOC, collectors/special editions, possibly depending on the edition number - some special editions have such a high production number it's ridiculous.

It shouldn't be speculation anymore, it's the truth. Over time, leaving anything without letting air circulate through them makes them deteriorate. It is also true that the plastic used in toy boxes (the clear PVC-type plastic) damages stuff A LOT. That is why I always let everything free, even if I keep the box for myself and independently of how rare/vintage/collectors edition it is.
and this ^^^ MIB might not be so 'mint' in box due to lack of air  :P
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 08:07:15 AM by ravengusty »
my new fan page https://www.facebook.com/princessofpowerukfan
:socks:
Just so you know...I open boxes! My cash, my pony, my choice  :biggrin:
Respect to Box lovers you have stronger will than I do...peace  :)

Lightning Twirl

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2013, 08:16:27 AM »
Your money, your collection, your choice! In the end we all love ponies! :p

I mostly debox. I can understand keeping rare ponies in boxes, if they have come in one. I only have my Zekora, talking ponies, funkos, and SDCC 2012 still in their original box but everyone else is freeeee! I love the brush their manes! Thats the best part of having ponies, relieves stress! To me its more fun to play than stare lol! I was gonna keep my future EQG dollies in their boxes, but I want to play with them and pose them! xD Its easier for me to create memorable nostalgic feelings of my ponies by actually playing with them! The ponies I keep MIB I honestly occasionally forget I own sometimes, I always wanna open them!

Oh yeah loose saves space too!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 08:29:38 AM by Lightning Twirl »

Offline Tap Dancer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Dance 'n Prance with me! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2013, 08:36:54 AM »
I strongly disagree with de-boxing G1s. The only G1 I ever removed from the card was a Scrumptious whose card was destroyed by terrible packaging (she was packed in two plastic shopping bags and then wrapped with brown paper! >_<) But then I was so paranoid about damaging her or losing an accessory that I packed her away anyway!
There will always be a loose G1 to add to a collection. How do you know if the G1 you're de-carding isn't the only MOC one left? To me it's chipping away a small but significant part of the history of the brand. There's also probably a collector out there who would give you their right arm for that particular MOC.

I understand what you're saying. As I said above, I have loose and MOC ponies. However, if I bought a MOC G1 and I wanted to open it, I would. I wouldn't feel bad about it, either. It's my money and my pony, after all.

Offline Rosette

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Pony Mail is Happy Mail :D
    • View Profile
    • My LiveJournal Blog
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2013, 09:29:18 AM »
Everyone's stuff (and what they choose to do with it) is their own decision.  I'm never arguing that.  I cannot understand, personally, why some debox g1 stuff when alternatives are vastly cheaper, but maybe lots of other people would think paying $100 for the experience of opening an original toy worth the investment.  :)
I'm the Pony formerly known as "songtoisis".   ^.^

Offline Lyra

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2013, 10:31:54 AM »
But...how would I play with the pony if pony is not free? How would I  brush the hair...gotta be able to touch the lovely hair...(I don't understand the keep-in-box thing because for me it would remove joy from the experience of having ponies around :()
Lyra Silvertongue - not Heartstrings!

Offline Heartcease

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2013, 12:06:08 PM »
I have to say that I wouldn't choose to buy a boxed pony, or any other classic boxed toy.  I get ponies with missing heads for crying out loud, it's not important to me to have every item that came with them.
We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream. - Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal