collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What Should I Do?  (Read 4191 times)

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
What Should I Do?
« on: June 02, 2013, 11:59:59 AM »
So, sometime shortly before G3's were done (didn't know this was going to happen so soon after) I had the urge to be really generous.  I had decided I was done with ponies so I went through my huge lot of G3's (most were early or first release) and picked out ones I thought I would be OK without and set them aside.  I then went next door and asked the mother of the little girl who lived there (I think she was about 9 at the time) if she would want them and her Mom said sure.  So, I brought over three plastic grocery bags full of ponies, plus my Celebration Castle and Twinkle Twirl's Dance Studio to this little girl's house.  I also ended up giving up some pony items such as my Star Swirl plush from Toys R Us to Salvation Army.  :cry:  Anyway, some time later my Mom decides to invite the little girl I gave ponies to do my niece's 4th birthday party.  I think the little girl was about 11 at the time.  When her Mom came to pick her up I casually asked how her daughter liked the ponies.  Her casual, no big deal response was "Oh she hasn't touched them since they were put in her closet", (basically since I gave them to her they went right to her closet and weren't touched since then). :mad:  OK her Mom said her daughter would want them but since I gave them to her and at the time has about two years and she hasn't touched them.  I knew she was only going to get older and probably would lose interest as the years went by.  So, I'm estimating her daughter is probably 14 or 15 now.  I've been back into collecting for a long time and really regret giving up those G3's.  At the time they were still being sold in stores and I gave up ponies I thought I would be OK without, including my Halloween ponies Pumpkin Tart and the purple one dressed as a witch (can't remember her name).  I love Halloween and really wish I could go back in time to at least keep those.  Luckily, I was smart enough to keep my mail order Love Wishes and Hasbro charity pony and some other ponies.

This has been eating me up for a while.  I've been debating about whether or not to ask if I could have the ponies back since it's obvious her daughter has never touched them and probably never will.  I asked my Mom for an opinion on this and she said I shouldn't ask for them back.  I realize it is sort of wrong but if it turned out her daughter hasn't touched them you would think she would say "did you want them back?"  At least I would have hoped she would say that.

I'm 29 and sort of feel a little silly asking for my ponies back from a 14 or 15 year old, even if she doesn't want them.  I even thought about using the excuse that I could save them for my niece who lives in Texas with her Mom and we'll probably never see again, due to annoying circumstances.

I mean, the most they will say is I can't have them back or they gave them away to someone else or they've been thrown away (but I can't think about that it's too upsetting).

So, after all that what do you guys think I should do?  Currently I'm unemployed and have been since October otherwise I would try to remember what ponies I had and buy them from people here a little bit at a time.  I can't afford to do that kind of spending.  I'm also a little worried about embarrassing myself[ or making myself look like an idiot.  We don't socialize with our neighbors that much so so I don't know how understanding they would be if I asked for them back.

Anyway, so sorry this was long.  I needed to get this out.

Thanks for reading.  :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 01:07:16 PM by Majesty »

Offline CupcakeLoverXx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Pony Lover since 2012!
    • View Profile
Re: What Should I Do?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 12:08:49 PM »
Hmm,not sure... I would possibly try asking for them back. Just say to them that you have become a MLP collector since giving away your ponies,you thought that her daughter had probably outgrown them by now and you could possibly have them back? Maybe joke about it a little... sorry this wasn't of much help,I'm not sure what's for the best but I really hope you are able to get them back  :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Calico_Star

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 12:28:23 PM »
I would ask for them back. If the girl had played with them, that would be one thing, but since she's been totally disinterested, it's not like you're trying to snatch ponies away from a child or anything. If it makes things easier for you, why not tell her that you have a niece/cousin/best friend's little sister who has gotten into ponies, and since you recall hearing that the girl you gave the ponies to wasn't interested, wondered if she'd mind giving them back so you could pass them on to someone who'd really appreciate them ;)

:heart: My Deviantart :heart: Commissions: Closed

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 12:29:50 PM »
I don't think it would hurt anything if you asked. It's not like you have a relationship with the neighbors that you might damage, right? I say go for it! I would. ;) The ponies are just sitting there collecting dust anyway.

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 12:43:21 PM »
I wouldn't ask for them back since you did give them two her and you're not great friends with your neighbor. Maybe if you were buddies I could see you saying " hey....". I would just swallow it as a bad mistake I made and collect them later on.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 01:09:36 PM »
Since most of you guys said I should ask for them back I'll probably at least try it.  I figured it would be too awkward to do that by going up to their house and asking but if I see them outside or something I'll ask.  The worse they could say would be no.  I am going to say they are for my niece and she could play with them when she visits but they're really for me.

Offline ravengusty

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 01:12:08 PM »
Hmmm...it's a toughie, see I'm the kinda person who would be far too embarrassed to ask for them back in case neighbouroonie decides to make a big broohahaha about me wanting ponies at the age of 29 (we all know some people find it weird that we collect ponies).

But at the same time I'd want to ask for them back because they are just sitting around doing nothing in a cupboard (assuming they haven't been thrown/sold).

I guess it's up to you, you could always say 'if your daughter isn't playing with them ponies do you think i could have them back as my niece is really in to ponies and she'd get better use out of them and they wont be taking up closet space?'. That's the best I can come up with but try to be super nice when you ask so they don't think your being funny, you don't want trouble from non pony believers.

Good luck, I gave up my childhood collection when I was about 15, I still regret it now especially with the rare G1s and the variant Princess Royal Blue that I had.
my new fan page https://www.facebook.com/princessofpowerukfan
:socks:
Just so you know...I open boxes! My cash, my pony, my choice  :biggrin:
Respect to Box lovers you have stronger will than I do...peace  :)

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 01:15:16 PM »
Hmmm...it's a toughie, see I'm the kinda person who would be far too embarrassed to ask for them back in case neighbouroonie decides to make a big broohahaha about me wanting ponies at the age of 29 (we all know some people find it weird that we collect ponies).

But at the same time I'd want to ask for them back because they are just sitting around doing nothing in a cupboard (assuming they haven't been thrown/sold).

I guess it's up to you, you could always say 'if your daughter isn't playing with them ponies do you think i could have them back as my niece is really in to ponies and she'd get better use out of them and they wont be taking up closet space?'. That's the best I can come up with but try to be super nice when you ask so they don't think your being funny, you don't want trouble from non pony believers.

Good luck, I gave up my childhood collection when I was about 15, I still regret it now especially with the rare G1s and the variant Princess Royal Blue that I had.

I also gave up my childhood collection.  I originally had two G1's Princess Royal Blue and Teeny Tiny Baby Little Whiskers then a friend gave me some of hers so I think I had a total of 6 or 7 G1's.  Then, around 13 or 14 I thought I was too old for ponies and gave them to a childhood friend of mine who I played ponies and barbies with, shortly before I moved to Kentucky from Rhode Island.  I regret that too only for the memories and such.

Offline Sakuyamon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • artist for hire
    • View Profile
    • http://Sakuyamon.deviantart.com
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 01:25:32 PM »
You could make a simple mention that if the ponies are untouched, unappreciated and are just taking up space, its fine to give them back.You dont need to ask directly.

Offline Thunderwing

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+171)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/springwater_valley/home.html
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 01:46:56 PM »
Go and ask or it will bug you forever. Be bold!  I was too shy to ask when I was in a similar situation many years ago (with G1 ponies).  And it still bugs me. I still wonder where they ended up...

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 02:00:00 PM »
I would (politely) ask.  It can't hurt; I doubt your neighbor would hold it against you.  :)

If it makes you feel better, you can say they're for your niece but at least bring it up once.  Otherwise, you'll always wonder what might have been.
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 02:05:35 PM »
Sure - go ahead and ask! I would have gone with the niece excuse too, but that is because I'm way too shy with my pony interest ;)
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 02:17:53 PM »
Yup, I'd ask! Sure, it's a bit embarrassing, but they won't think less of you and saving all those ponies would mean a lot to you :) I say definitely ask, with whatever excuse you can think of :)
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 02:21:55 PM »
You have nothing to lose by asking - and so much to gain.  *fingers crossed you get them back*  Good luck!

Offline LeighAnnApanites

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "...there is too much, let me sum up."
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 02:44:47 PM »
When you ask definitely play up the saving space in the closet part. Who isn't trying to get stuff out of their closets?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal