collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What Should I Do?  (Read 4192 times)

Offline mercynova

• NSS Buttons
  • Trade Count: (+91)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What Should I Do?
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2013, 06:42:56 AM »
I don't think you should have to buy them back either...

But if it's been 5 years since you gave them to her I kinda doubt they will still have them... Always worth a go though. I agree that you should make it a casual, passing thing rather than knocking on their door.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2013, 07:05:18 AM »
I think you should ask.  If you don't feel too uncomfortable with it, I would even through in the money issues.  Not specifics but something like this.

"Hey!  How are you!  So if you don't mind me asking, do you still have those ponies I gave to **** a few years ago?   You do!  My niece has totally gotten in to ponies recently and I really wanted to get her some but money being tight, I can't afford to buy new toys right now.  Hey,  since **** is fifteen now, if she doesn't still want them, would you mind if I took them to give to me niece?"

And if you do get the ponies back, I would definitly make sure to go ahead and find a few other ponies to give to your niece.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2013, 03:45:35 PM »
I am with the majority on this one. I think the key being that if the little girl was never in to them in the first place and if in many ways she is highly unlikely to be interested in them now, you are not snatching toys from a child or anything :)

I say give it a go. They may no longer have them or they may be huffy but if you dont chap that door, if you dont ask, its going to make you wonder.

And I agree if you are shy and uncertain of their reception, go with a little fiction on who and why you wish them back for.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2013, 05:08:52 PM »
I would definitely try to get them back. I am shy so I know how you would feel uncomfortable asking but I think once you get it over with it will be a huge relief to you to know either way. I would ask if they still had them and since her daughter is probably not into toys anymore if you could have them back because you'd like to save them for your future children or your niece :) You never know. Good luck and keep us updated!

Offline katieklassified

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2013, 07:40:38 PM »
I would SO go get them back! Honestly, she should have offered to give them back when you asked about them the first time, and she said they were just in a closet. It's kind of rude. If it had been me, I'd have at least lied and said, oh yeah she totally loves them, or something. I mean, you DID give her a TON of ponies for free.

And definitely don't ask to buy them back. They didn't pay for them, so you shouldn't either. They're probably still there unless your neighbors are big donators/garage sale people. We just moved and found stuff from YEARS ago just hanging around...I even found a bag of my G1s under my air conditioner! And obviously the 15 year old probably doesn't know what they're worth, or her mom. I don't know that I'd even say they were for your niece...I'd probably just say, "Hey, remember those ponies I gave you? If you still have them and they're just kind of sitting around taking up space, I'd be glad to have them back". No shame in my game!

HELP ME NAME MY PONYSONA!

Offline kezrob23

• my heart beats true for the Red and the Blue
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2013, 09:04:10 PM »
I would SO go get them back! Honestly, she should have offered to give them back when you asked about them the first time, and she said they were just in a closet. It's kind of rude. If it had been me, I'd have at least lied and said, oh yeah she totally loves them, or something. I mean, you DID give her a TON of ponies for free.

And definitely don't ask to buy them back. They didn't pay for them, so you shouldn't either. They're probably still there unless your neighbors are big donators/garage sale people. We just moved and found stuff from YEARS ago just hanging around...I even found a bag of my G1s under my air conditioner! And obviously the 15 year old probably doesn't know what they're worth, or her mom. I don't know that I'd even say they were for your niece...I'd probably just say, "Hey, remember those ponies I gave you? If you still have them and they're just kind of sitting around taking up space, I'd be glad to have them back". No shame in my game!

yep, totally agree with this!! i have a bit of a phobia of knocking on people's doors :lol: so i'd just sit by a window and watch for someone to come out, then pounce!! :biggrin:

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2013, 06:14:18 AM »

yep, totally agree with this!! i have a bit of a phobia of knocking on people's doors :lol: so i'd just sit by a window and watch for someone to come out, then pounce!! :biggrin:

That's kind of what I did yesterday but no one came out.  I guess the girl is at school and her parents and older siblings are all gone during the day.  One Wednesday I was heading to an open interview at Petsmart and her Mom came out of the house some time after Noon I think and went some place.  I was hoping to see her but never did.  She must have been working.

Post Merge: June 04, 2013, 06:26:55 AM

OK so I tried to observe my neighbors most of the day to see if the girl's Mom or someone would come out and I could run out of my house to catch her and ask her about her daughter's ponies.  I think the girl leaves for school pretty early so I wouldn't be able to run into her until later.  No one was home until around 3-something when the girl and one of her brother's came home.  In the early afternoon yesterday, I did get the courage to knock on their door and after a while I determined no one was home, even though there were tons of cars in the driveway.  I really want to get this over and done with as soon as I can before (if they have the ponies) they do something with them and I don't get the chance to get them back.

I had this idea yesterday about writing a short letter to the girl, telling her what I would pretty much tell her in person.  I've been back into collecting shortly after I gave her the ponies, and I also got my niece (who is now 8) into collecting and I know she would really appreciate those ponies to play with when she comes to visit.  I will mention that if she doesn't want them anymore I would be happy to take them off their hands and give them a good home.  Although, they may take that the wrong way and say to themselves "so we didn't give them a good home?"  Umm....no you didn't.  I had planned on putting the letter in an envelope with the girl's name on it and either put it in the mailbox or tape it to their door.

What do you guys think of this idea?  At least they will get the letter and see what I want and hopefully respond  and let me know.  I only live next door and it's not far.

I'm trying to get the ponies preferably during the day before my parents get home because my Mom originally told me not to ask for them back.  Which is why it took me so long to do this.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 06:26:55 AM by Majesty »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2013, 07:49:08 AM »
Maybe you could address the letter to the mum and daughter? Just a thought...but I like the idea of that softly softly approach.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2013, 08:13:59 AM »
You could make a simple mention that if the ponies are untouched, unappreciated and are just taking up space, its fine to give them back.You dont need to ask directly.

This sounds like a great idea to me :)
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2013, 08:27:47 AM »
If you only live next door, you really should ask in person.  Go, ask, be done with it.   Take courage.  Keep it simple.  Just say "Hi neighbor, I was wondering if I could please have the ponies back that I gave your daughter if she is no longer interested in them". 

You don't have to give reasons.  But if you do, just be honest about why you want them back.  Don't talk about value or money or how much it might cost to rebuy them.  Just say that you still like ponies and want them in your collection. 

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2013, 09:03:14 AM »
If you only live next door, you really should ask in person.  Go, ask, be done with it.   Take courage.  Keep it simple.  Just say "Hi neighbor, I was wondering if I could please have the ponies back that I gave your daughter if she is no longer interested in them". 

You don't have to give reasons.  But if you do, just be honest about why you want them back.  Don't talk about value or money or how much it might cost to rebuy them.  Just say that you still like ponies and want them in your collection. 

I supposed I could try that.  Probably would be better anyway, get an immediate response.

Post Merge: June 04, 2013, 09:16:32 AM

OK as an update.  I was brave and knew some neighbors were home cause UPS came by their house.  It was one of the girl's older brothers.  He knew I was his next door neighbor.  His response was "Howdy neighbor".  I was a little nervous but that helped some.  I told him a while ago I gave his sister some My Little Ponies and wanted to see if she wasn't interested in them anymore and if she didn't I could take them back and I mentioned that I was back into collecting for a while.  I didn't want to outright say that I wanted them back but I was nervous and I felt like I said it in a nice way.  I kept it brief and gave a short reason.

He said his Mom was sleeping but when she woke up he would mention it to her.  He seemed really friendly about it.  I felt very awkward but at least he was friendly about it.

So, now I'm just waiting.  I did write up a letter for her but it was one page two-sided, gave a backstory to why I wanted them back.  But, I'm glad I did this.  I just wish I didn't have to wait for a response. :P
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 09:16:32 AM by Majesty »

Offline cloud_weaver

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2013, 09:56:59 AM »

I supposed I could try that.  Probably would be better anyway, get an immediate response.

OK as an update.  I was brave and knew some neighbors were home cause UPS came by their house.  It was one of the girl's older brothers.  He knew I was his next door neighbor.  His response was "Howdy neighbor".  I was a little nervous but that helped some.  I told him a while ago I gave his sister some My Little Ponies and wanted to see if she wasn't interested in them anymore and if she didn't I could take them back and I mentioned that I was back into collecting for a while.  I didn't want to outright say that I wanted them back but I was nervous and I felt like I said it in a nice way.  I kept it brief and gave a short reason.

He said his Mom was sleeping but when she woke up he would mention it to her.  He seemed really friendly about it.  I felt very awkward but at least he was friendly about it.

So, now I'm just waiting.  I did write up a letter for her but it was one page two-sided, gave a backstory to why I wanted them back.  But, I'm glad I did this.  I just wish I didn't have to wait for a response. :P

Perfect!  Good luck!  At least now you'll know. :)

Thank you LunaCat for my Kirin Cloud Weaver!
Cloudie’s Wish List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396949
Cloudie’s TRADE List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396962

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2013, 10:47:20 AM »

Perfect!  Good luck!  At least now you'll know. :)

Thanks.  :)  I feel a little relieved already knowing that they know.  I wanted to mention or hope to mention that the ponies I gave to her they don't make anymore and are harder to come by and that's why I want them back but I could probably mention it if they stop by my house to tell me either way.  Just so they understand better.

Offline josiekat

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There's no such thing as a bait Bluebelle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2013, 11:49:43 AM »
Hope it all works out for you :)

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2013, 12:12:16 PM »
Hope it all works out for you :)

Thanks.  The neighbors mom has been awake for some time.  I just wish someone would come over and tell me either way so I can stop anticipating.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal