collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What Made You Loose Interest?  (Read 2838 times)

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
What Made You Loose Interest?
« on: May 28, 2013, 07:32:14 PM »
I've told my story many times before.
So why did you?
What made you loose interest in collecting?
:accomplished:

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
Re: What Made You Loose Interest?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 07:47:59 PM »
It was the core 7 that came out in 2007. I could not see buying the same pose and only the same ones over and over.  But I am back and going good at collecting again :)

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 07:52:33 PM »
For a year I was going through a tough time personally. I decided to put all my herd away and I didn't keep any of them out. After that year was over I started recollecting again. Though during the year I didn't collect I did get two bags of ponies from two people one was a member here. I think it is funny how ponies still made their way to me.

Offline GustyFox

• Trade Count: (+102)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • A Planewalker fox in human disguise
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 07:56:39 PM »
When I took a break from ponies... it just happened. I have no idea why.
The core 7 pushed me away from G3 back there, but I was still hunting G1s and getting interested in G2s.

From time to time something else steals my attention for a while and when I'm done with the "news" I seem to fall bak to ponies :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Lovely GustyFox adoptable by MoonFlower. Thank you.

Offline katieklassified

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 08:48:34 PM »
Apparently I had a *LOT* of ponies as a kid (I was born in 1988, so the tail end of G1 and maybe some G2s) but my mom sold most of them at garage sales before I was old enough to notice/care =(. I got back into collecting when G3s came out (my first two were Kimono and Pinkie!!). I bought a LOT of my G1s my first 2 years in college. My roommate used to watch me washing and blowdrying ponies and think I was nuts LOL.

I kind of stopped collecting when I left college...but I got back into it last year and I'm trying to make up for all the years I missed!!!

HELP ME NAME MY PONYSONA!

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 08:59:21 PM »
Mine was a realization that I could no longer afford - in either space or money - to continue my collection. I sold off more than half of my collection and have used the money towards supporting my chickens and purchasing art supplies, which matter far more to me than my ponies.  ^.^
Mimic on MLPTP

Offline rearing_palomino164

• Trade Count: (0)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Share a smile at least once a day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 09:39:11 PM »
Lack of space and saving money for the future. :]

You are the memory that lives on forever, the shadow that stands by our side.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 09:49:07 PM »
For me.....considering that all my ponies mean NOTHING if I don't have a place to live.  I would rather work towards a mortgage and own a home rather than rent and have to get rid of my things if I had to relocate hastily.  :(
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline RAMChYLD

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 01:25:50 AM »
Well, the answer for me is trivial.

Attempting to sync the toyline to FIM.

I have lost all respect for FIM after they listened to the bronies, derailed and inserted more villains and shifting away from slice-of-life from season 2 on. It doesn't work for me, but I was willing to still collect the toys. Now they want to release the villains in toy form as well. I'm sorry, but no. I stand by my word that if the villains are introduced to the toys, I stop collecting. It's a tough decision, but the entire franchise no longer fits my principles anymore.
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 02:08:18 AM »
The first time I lost interest was when I was 13. After collecting for about 3-4 years I sold my collection because I felt I was too old for it, and I got tired of being made fun of for it. By the time I was 15, I was devastated with my choice. This is when the G3s freshly hit stores. I collected until the Bore 7 because the theme, then stopped actively collecting for several years. About three years ago I got into collecting quite hardcore again. I just took a bit of a hiatus during that time. Glad I got back into it again and never sold my ponies a second time. :)
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 04:28:25 AM »
Nothing :) I am still here.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Stormrave

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+54)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 04:31:21 AM »
The first time:  because my parents were pressuring me that I was too old for toys, and I made a deal, to keep the toys I had, I wouldn't spend my allowance on any more.

Since I started working for the military & found G2s in the base store....*ahem*  Mostly if I don't buy ponies for a while, it's because I either need the money for something else (like vet bills or a trip) but I wouldn't say I "stopped collecting" it's more like it got paused for a while until I have free entertainment money to spend on ponies.  And that's the deal, ponies are entertainment, I have an entertainment budget.  If I'd rather have a pony than a book or a DVD, I go buy a pony :)

Lightning Twirl

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 06:37:35 AM »
I havnt lost interest yet in ponies, dont think I will! Theres always something fun to do and the pony communities are full of very kind people. I have always kind of liked ponies since I played with my aunt's G1's.

Now I can answer this question about an older hobby, pokemon cards. What was about fun and trading to make new friends turned into a serious competition. I still love pokemon-dont get me wrong but I have been in leagues, tournaments, and I was a member to 5 popular pokemon forums. It used to be about the fun games and trading pokemon via gameboy and such but at some point I feel like people took 'gotta catch em' all" too literally. I sadly know people who buy 3 of the $100 booster boxes and complain they cant afford bills and have to sell their stuff or get a job, caught ppl stealing other member's cards ALL the time in league, people MY age begging kids for their rare cards- by the way I find that very pathetic. I regret to say this,  but seems small pokemon card collections are no longer appreciated for the beauty of the artwork or characters but rather for how many rare or expensive cards you have. There has been so much bashing and my peers one-upping the newer younger fans... too many card expansions releases every year.... it started to make me very unhappy. Not all pokemon fans are like that, but I unfortunately have mostly come across the ones that made me loose interest in the hobby. I am happy that I found MLP where its a chilled laid back hobby! G1 is still popular which doesnt make me feel rushed about G4! What is so awesome about this place is some of the members here also love Pokemon and they are the type of Pokemon fans I want to be around-nice fun loving, non competitive-collecting, true fans! =D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 07:17:33 AM by Lightning Twirl »

jaybell

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 07:14:55 AM »
life happened?? lol my husband joined the army, moved us across country, I got pregnant, had some scary health issues, and now that things are finally settled down I'm back into them. I just had bigger priorities that took up my time.

Offline alkevin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 07:32:46 AM »
I still collect everything, but what made me stopping was: 1st I came out of uni and can´t find any job, 2nd where I live there isn´t any store that sells items for my collection, it has to be  an online store, and it´s more expensive and assorted. So everytime I can get money I need to think very well what I want to buy.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 05:38:49 PM by alkevin »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal