collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Gender neutral toy catalogue - opinions?  (Read 4395 times)

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
Re: Gender neutral toy catalogue - opinions?
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2012, 08:15:05 AM »
And that's all it is, my opinion. 

That's not a magic spell that means what you're saying isn't wrong, though.

It's also wrong to call someone else's opinions "wrong". By definition opinions can NOT be right OR wrong. Besides, you are missing ashes' point. It's not that she cares if girls play with "boy" toys or boys play with "girl" toys, it's that she's tired of seeing little girls who WANT to be princesses being told they can't because of this overcompensation humans are infamous for. And YES that happens. Ashes LIKES being girly and she should be allowed to be so without being made to feel like she's "wrong" for daring to want to be different from men. And frankly, I agree. I LIKE pink because I chose it. Not because I'm brainwashed by advertising as I have heard people suggest. I like being a princess and being treated as such. And that is ok too. If you don't like being traditional girly or manly that's fine, but don't say those who do are wrong. That's not any more right. EVERYONE needs to be allowed to be who they are.

She's refering to the fact that there is a push by some people to remove all traditional girly-ness or manly-ness from toys and frankly THAT is not ok. That's not fair to kids who like those things. There need to be "boy" toys, "girl" toys, and "either" toys. What there doesn't need to be is parents/friends/etc telling kids that they can't play with any of these toys they choose because they are a certain gender. They need to just be toys with no labels perhaps, but all of the current types need to remain. As I said in my original post, I'm sick of people trying to neuter or toys when it's just the attitudes that need neutering. I'm rather positive this is what ashes was getting at.

Ma'am, that's not what I said at all.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2012, 08:20:56 AM »
Wow- that is awesome!  Go Sweden! 

It is nice that some people finally realize that it is OK for a little boy to play with a baby doll-  it really won't turn him gay!

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2012, 09:24:09 AM »
I've yet to come across anyone who actually wants to 'neuter' toys.  :what:

I've only heard people advocating just what this catalogue has done, making it ok for any child to play with any toy.
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2012, 10:17:57 AM »
I think its a good thing personally. Toys aren't gender based its what people push that makes them so.

Yes.  Exactly.  This.

Wait . . . so Sweden is showing how children actually play with toys? :silly:

Also this.

Also, I see no issue in girls wanting to be girly.  The issue I see is the teasing of girls (or boys) who don't like what other girls "should" like.  Society naturally likes to throw people out who aren't of the norm.  And yes - this is caused by the aggressive marketing of certain toys for girls and some for boys.  This is not just by the toy manufacturers, but it's also the parents.

It's a slippery slope.  Some people balk at political correctness, but I don't want my son to be teased if he isn't all macho sports-and-guns loving like I was mercilessly teased for not liking Barbies or skirts, or not having long hair.  So how can that be fixed?  I think catalogs like this are a step in the right direction.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 10:33:30 AM by Eviecorn »

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2012, 10:42:08 AM »

I've only heard people advocating just what this catalogue has done, making it ok for any child to play with any toy.

Then you are very lucky. They exist and they are not any nicer about the way they control what their children play with than those who make them fit the old stereotypes.

This catalogue is wonderful. It shows both genders playing with both types of toys, and that is how it should be. I'm pretty certain we all actually agree in this thread. We want kids to just be kids and play with what they like. Gender "appropriate" or not.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2012, 11:20:26 AM »
She's refering to the fact that there is a push by some people to remove all traditional girly-ness or manly-ness from toys and frankly THAT is not ok. That's not fair to kids who like those things. There need to be "boy" toys, "girl" toys, and "either" toys. What there doesn't need to be is parents/friends/etc telling kids that they can't play with any of these toys they choose because they are a certain gender. They need to just be toys with no labels perhaps, but all of the current types need to remain. As I said in my original post, I'm sick of people trying to neuter or toys when it's just the attitudes that need neutering. I'm rather positive this is what ashes was getting at.

Then you are very lucky. They exist and they are not any nicer about the way they control what their children play with than those who make them fit the old stereotypes.

This catalogue is wonderful. It shows both genders playing with both types of toys, and that is how it should be. I'm pretty certain we all actually agree in this thread. We want kids to just be kids and play with what they like. Gender "appropriate" or not.

I agree with all of the above.  Not a single person in this thread has said that boys should only play with "boy" toys and girls can only have "girl" toys.  I think that there have been some misunderstandings by the reactions I've seen.  I think that kids should be able to play with any toy they want.  If boys want baby dolls, great!  If girls want cars and action figures, go for it!

But, what many of us are trying to say is that there are people who are so focused on neutrality that they are going to far (not anyone in this thread, particularly, just out and about in the world).  The gender roles exist for a reason: because those are the toys that the majority of kids gravitate towards.  Some boys come into my work and play with dolls; most of them (even little tiny ones who aren't old enough to be influenced by media or opinions) grab the cars.  Some little girls want to play with the dump trucks, but most want to play with Barbies.  Trying to take away the pink, sparkles, princesses etc from little girls is wrong, because that's what lots of them WANT.  And the girls who want to be girly should be allowed to without being told that they're brainwashed.  Just like you shouldn't take away a little boy's firetruck and hand him a pony if he doesn't want it.

That may sound silly to those of you who haven't seen this happen, but I have seen it.  Often.  Forcing a child to play with something they don't want is wrong.  So yes, I think that it's wrong for a child to be told which toys they can play with, whether they are trying to play with the "opposite gender's" toys or their own traditional roles.  There is nothing wrong with being proud of your gender and liking the traditional toys, just like there's nothing wrong with identifying with the opposite gender or wanting to play with the other gender's toys.  Does that make sense?  *trying hard to explain it*

Every one of us wants to see kids playing with the toys they WANT to play with, regardless of gender roles.  The only disagreement was that many of us really truly love our gender's traditional toys and are afraid that in the rush for neutrality, the pink will be wiped out.  I think it's important to keep the toys as they are, but to let the kids choose what they want on their own.  Let the action figures, nerf guns, and cars stay.  Let the princesses, ponies, and dolls stay pink.  And keep the toys that are already netural: blocks, balls, teddy bears, yo-yos, etc.  And then let the kids decide what they want to play with.  To me, that should be the goal.

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2012, 11:26:35 AM »

Then maybe you need to clarify.

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2012, 11:30:00 AM »

Then maybe you need to clarify.

Halright.

Well, first off, gender neutrality doesn't mean anyone's taking the pink away, it's just saying that pink is awesome and so is blue, and your position betrays ignorance and factual inaccuracies, hence why I said it was wrong.

Anyway, peace out.

(backcard by Ivy!)

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2012, 11:31:31 AM »
That's really great.  :biggrin:  I think the people who find it offensive are those who think only girls play with dolls and boys with trucks and toy guns.  Well, if you find it offensive don't buy the magazine.  Complaining about it solves nothing.

Offline Beachball

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://pokemontreasury.tumblr.com/
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2012, 12:39:37 PM »
Has anyone heard of 'Katie the Star Wars girl?' it was from a few years back and there was this girl who I think was about 8 or so who was getting really badly picked on because she came from a family of star wars fans so she was really into Star Wars and boys in her school were picking on her because 'Star Wars is for boys'
She got picked on by boys for having a Star Wars water bottle. Before she tearfully told her mom about it, she was pulling a pink water bottle that held less water than the SW bottle out of the kitchen cabinet and her mom was confused because the girl was so happy when she chose the SW bottle at the store for the new school year.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 12:41:23 PM by Beachball »

My Pokémon Blog: http://pokemontreasury.tumblr.com/

Offline ZennaBug

• View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2012, 12:43:09 PM »
Has anyone heard of 'Katie the Star Wars girl?' it was from a few years back and there was this girl who I think was about 8 or so who was getting really badly picked on because she came from a family of star wars fans so she was really into Star Wars and boys in her school were picking on her because 'Star Wars is for boys'
She got picked on by boys for having a Star Wars water bottle. Before she tearfully told her mom about it, she was pulling a pink water bottle that held less water than the SW bottle out of the kitchen cabinet and her mom was confused because the girl was so happy when she chose the SW bottle at the store for the new school year.

I remember that.  I am a girl and I have ALWAYS loved Star Wars.  I felt so bad for the poor girl, some kids are so mean.  No matter what you like, someone will tell you it's wrong.  I was made fun of for playing with "boy" toys, but also for wearing pretty dresses and shiny shoes.  It doesn't matter what you do, the bullies will find some reason to make you feel awful.

Offline Beachball

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://pokemontreasury.tumblr.com/
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2012, 12:56:46 PM »

I remember that.  I am a girl and I have ALWAYS loved Star Wars.  I felt so bad for the poor girl, some kids are so mean.  No matter what you like, someone will tell you it's wrong.  I was made fun of for playing with "boy" toys, but also for wearing pretty dresses and shiny shoes.  It doesn't matter what you do, the bullies will find some reason to make you feel awful.
The joke is on the boys. A couple of years after the water bottle incident, she obtained something they could only dream about having: a professionally made Stormtrooper costume!
http://www.chicagonow.com/portrait-of-an-adoption/2012/10/aren%E2%80%99t-you-a-little-short-for-a-stormtrooper-star-wars-fans-worldwide-join-to-build-a-halloween-costume-for-one-lucky-little-girl/

My Pokémon Blog: http://pokemontreasury.tumblr.com/

Offline Echo_Shell

• Bay Breeze Pony
  • De Omnibus Dubitandem.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2012, 01:09:11 PM »
Excellent marketing strategy.

Offline ZennaBug

• View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2012, 02:12:06 PM »

The joke is on the boys. A couple of years after the water bottle incident, she obtained something they could only dream about having: a professionally made Stormtrooper costume!
http://www.chicagonow.com/portrait-of-an-adoption/2012/10/aren%E2%80%99t-you-a-little-short-for-a-stormtrooper-star-wars-fans-worldwide-join-to-build-a-halloween-costume-for-one-lucky-little-girl/

Aw, I hadn't seen that.  How sweet!  :lovey:

Offline cyanide

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Also known as " Epic rainbow crafts "
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2012, 02:18:53 PM »
I dont understand the rage and "man hate" some countries came up with after this catalouge came up =) , whats so bad with boys & girls helping out  cooking food or clean etc like the images wants to show? i just dont get whats wrong with it
Plushie crafter - check out my stuff on deviantart :) : http://epicrainbowcrafts.deviantart.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal