collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Gender neutral toy catalogue - opinions?  (Read 4091 times)

Rosse

• Trade Count: (0)
Gender neutral toy catalogue - opinions?
« on: November 27, 2012, 05:18:09 AM »
Apparently this Swedish gender neutral toy catalogue has become world news: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/sweden/9703127/Swedish-toy-catalogue-goes-gender-neutral.html

Personally I can't believe how some people find this offensive or "wrong", really, this is how kids play! Why force the "girl toys" and "boy toys" on them? I'm happy to see marketing and commercials finally starting to catch up to modern gender norms!

How do you feel about it, is it a welcome step in the right direction, or has "this feminist thing gone too far"? :P

Edit: The full catalogue can be viewed here: http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/cd73c6ee#/cd73c6ee/52
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 06:10:50 AM by Rosse »

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: Gender neutral toy catalogue - opinions?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 06:36:57 AM »
Brilliant!  :ohyeah:

So refreshing. Like so many things about Sweden. :)
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline Pony Adventures

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • IRL Pony Adventures
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 07:48:00 AM »
I always look at representation is catalogues and I must say, this is quite refreshing. I love it!

Offline Beachball

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://pokemontreasury.tumblr.com/
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 08:24:25 AM »
It's taken long enough (decades) for a store to see the potential of a gender neutral catalog.

With stores having carried girl paraphernalia with skulls (cutesy ones but still they're a symbol of death) for a long time and will do so for a long time from now, I don't see why people would be shocked by a toy catalog having a girl with a toy gun. If the boy with the doll was instead holding a real baby, people wouldn't complain there.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 08:27:00 AM by Beachball »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Pokémon Blog: http://pokemontreasury.tumblr.com/

Offline Winter Bones

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 08:43:06 AM »
I think this is excellent news! Little kids shouldn't have to worry about fitting into gender roles, in fact, I don't think anyone should worry about something as stupid as that. If a toy is fun, it's fun, and that's all there it to it. ^.^

Offline cobalte

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 09:47:11 AM »
Wow :D this is really quite cool to see. Also interesting that it comes in response to that company getting a smack in the butt by the ombudsman about gender stereotyping! People don't bat an eyelid here to that kind of thing. Do approve!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 09:57:19 AM »
You know....... Usually these things make me angry because they are insisting they change toys to be gender neutral by taking away my beloved pink or blue or something like that, but this isn't altering toys to be gender neutral, it's showing both genders playing with things as they are. I like that. I'm of the opinion our toys don't need neutering, our attitudes do, and that's what this is. Toys should just be toys. I approve!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 10:46:09 AM »
What kat said. That and I see kids play with 'opposing gender' toys all the time.  When you are 5, you dont care if you are playing with dolls or girl characters..or a ninja turtle or pirate. Its more the parents that freak out, I find.

And girls, who hasnt played with a super soaker or similar as kids?  That was what it was..and would probably be like the early gaming systems (genesis v.s. nintendo) being for boys only...but they werent.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 12:18:14 PM »
Oh brother. Well, you can never please everyone, someone will always be offended about something. At least this is a step in the right direction!
I'll put something here some time

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 12:35:31 PM »
Brilliant!  :ohyeah:

So refreshing. Like so many things about Sweden. :)

yup :) gotta love Sweden :lovey:

About time, is all I have to say.
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 12:38:59 PM »
Well, you can never please everyone, someone will always be offended about something.
I find your vagueness very offensive...

THEY'RE JUST TOOOOOYYYYYYSSSSS?! Why are people getting all butthurt over which toys is for which gender group?! If you don't like your children playing with toys that could be for either girls or boys, let them play with a stump, Jax and a ball, pickup stix, or even a slinky!! (Unless I missed the news articled that Slinkies are now boy specific toys)
My Flickr Page

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 12:46:27 PM »
I understood that NoPonySpecial is talking exactly about those people that get offended by these adds? Not that they were offended by it?
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline starrypawz

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
    • View Profile
    • http://starrypawz.deviantart.com
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 01:19:14 PM »
(If you think the outrage is bad read the Daily Mail version of the article)
I think its a good thing personally. Toys aren't gender based its what people push that makes them so.

Going off on a tangent a bit I saw this post on tumblr about a little girl who got in trouble for doing a school assignment wrong. They had a chart with 'for boys' 'for girls' and it had different toys written down, and the girl noticed some stuff was for 'both' so she added her own section to the chart and wrote some stuff in there and apparently 'she did it wrong' 

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

Dibbles

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 02:04:43 PM »
I love it. There's nothing wrong with it. It's very realistic. My brother played with one of my baby dolls for a while when he was a kid, and I played with a lot of his cars, podracers, and other toys. It's great to show kids that playing with whatever toys you choose is fine and that it's okay to be different, too. I think it's great that we are redefining the terms "masculine" and "feminine." Good for Toys R Us, and good for Sweden.

Rosse

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 02:26:40 PM »
starrypawz - Ugh yes, I had to chose carefully which article to link to... some were so biased!

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/thomaspascoe/100021481/swedens-insane-anti-discrimination-laws-have-created-a-generation-of-lost-women/
I don't know who Thomas Pascoe is, but blogs like this border on trolling, imo. Everything he states is either completely false or completely misinterpreted and out of context >_<

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal