collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I think I saw a closet Brony  (Read 5336 times)

Offline blu_clouds

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
Re: I think I saw a closet Brony
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 03:07:57 AM »
I totally know how he feels!  I don't have a problem buying ponies anymore...I am 28 and people simply assume they are for someone else.  However, only a few members of my family and friends know that I collect ponies.  I mean, I can count on both hands about how many people know about my collection.  It's funny sometimes because there are so many ponies hidden all throughout the house, but if you come over on any given day you will not see any.  I don't normally even post on the boards...I just lurk.  Hi! I go by Blu_Clouds and have been on the MLP boards for almost 10 years, check the posts almost everyday and have less overall posts than those who joined less than 6 months ago!  Silly me, I know, but I can't help it.  It's my special secret.  :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 03:26:39 AM »
I'm half and half. I usually walk into the toy aisle and do a quick scope of what's there, sorta like I'm checking for a younger sibling, but when I start checking for specifics I feel a little silly... especially checking blind bag codes. But when it's me and my GF I am a shameless Brony/Collector. We stand there furiously checking all the blind bags and hunting for possible new pony stuff on the shelves of every toy store we go past! :P

And when I'm at the checkout I don't know what people think but I don't care either. I'm 20, female and I've got rainbow coloured hair and piercings (soon tattoos as well I hope)... but I think most people assume I'm still mid teens because I'm short and I wear cartoony shirts, and when I'm with friends we're loud. I won't hesitate to tell people I'm a collector if they ask but nobody really strikes up conversation in the pony aisle... actually it's pretty much deserted every time I visit it anyway, poor ponies. But if I ever bump into a guy looking at ponies I'll try not to scare him, they shouldn't be afraid!  :biggrin:

I reckon though when the FS ponies are finally re-released and I get my hands on them I'll be skipping all the way to the register. Most places are self-serve these days too, lol!
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Like A Tea Spoon

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Yellow Pony Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 03:38:24 AM »
I walk down the toy isle and everyone knows I am happy to be there with all the "Squee!!" that can be heard two isles down  :frolic:

I'll be 30 this November and there is no shame in my toy hobbies  :P Of course, it helps a lot when I have my eight year old daughter with me... well, sometimes. She's not really into toys and she's all like " Mom, look! New pony that you don't have!" Or " Hey, ma! How many toys are you getting this trip?! Can we go to the clothing section and look at shoes!?"

Shopping with my boyfriend, a former Marine Sniper, is hilarious to see! He's all like, "Pooooonies  ^.^ " and he's always picking up pony stuff and asking me " Ya got this yet?" He's not a Brony, but I always tease him that he should just come out and admit it.  :lol:
Avvie By Watercolors

White Rose

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 04:02:24 AM »
I do the same thing haha, I go with my gran and try and pretend she's looking for a present for someone and I'm 'helping her choose the right one'  :P

Offline Sandi

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 04:07:16 AM »
I am like that guy. I sneak over when I see there's nobody else there. I take a quick look to see if there's something new, then I sneak out again.

I think it's easier for you who are 25 or older. Then people think you buy it for your child. I'm 20 myself, but people usually think that I look like I'm about 15.
G1, G2 and G3 collector. I also collect a bunch of other stuff. (Too much..)
My collection website
My toy Instagram
My cat/nature Instagram
My Tumblr

keikokukien

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2012, 06:04:50 AM »
As a girl, I do it, too. I'm embarassed of things in stores and in public that I am flamboyant about at home or with friends. Even more so because I'm going into the medical field and go into walmarts wearing scrubs...I know that sounds like an awkward, odd phobia...but I don't feel comfortable in the pony isle if anyone is looking at ponies while I'm in there, too. I feel fine talking to employees, but there is just something about being watched while shopping for toys that has always made me feel uncomfortable/unnerved. Slowly getting over that because of all you lovely pony folks, though! :) That or I'm getting to that age where things like that don't seem to matter as much as they once did. But mainly because of this arena, tbh. XD

Edit: I also use my sister as an excuse and drag her to the toy section (she's 17 and totally mellow about everything XD) and go "Oh look, sis!" *holds up pony pretending it's for her* and she just answers "If you want it, get it. You'll mope for days if you don't get your toy fix now."
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 06:08:43 AM by keikokukien »

Offline Ivaness

• Henry the 8th's Missing Wife
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Most Happy
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 06:30:23 AM »
My boyfriend (when he was 19) bought me the huge Toola-Roola plushie from Toys R Us. He lived in North Carolina and drove around for 2 weeks (and then 700 extra miles to give it to me) with it in the backseat of his Mustang.

To this day, I have NO idea how he wasn't embarrassed buying it.

Of course, he has no issue going down the pony aisle with me.
Must just be him. :)

My 8 year old son, though, LOVES looking for ponies. He knows my favorites and his school has reward boxes and Ivan has no issue picking out the little g3.5s for me. He'll come home and be like "MOM! GUESS WHAT I GOT YOU! IT'S YOUR FAVORITE!"

Avatar by: KissTheThunder Signature By: Nence
Silver Shy Ref Autine Ref

Offline shockponie

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 06:35:49 AM »
I never thought of being embarrassed about looking at toys. I never outgrew it. Are people that worried about other people being judgemental? Hm!
Avatar by Shenanigans; Sig by Shaiyeh

Tux N Tails

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2012, 06:42:03 AM »
I've seen people do that, I honestly don't care. People could think all manner of things, I'm getting things for a daughter, I'm getting something for a niece. All manner of theories, so I just tend to stay optomistic and grab something.

Offline josiekat

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There's no such thing as a bait Bluebelle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2012, 08:14:22 AM »
Not too long ago, I was in walmart in the pony isle. I was picking up a few, and I had my son in the cart. I heard a lady make a snarky comment basically challenging my abiliity to parent because I was forcing girls toys onto my little boy. I first couldn't believe that someone would care if a boy had girls toys. I turned and looked at the lady, and said, "don't worry....the ponies are for me." She looked extra shocked. Stupid old bag. lol

Offline Desert Rose

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Desert Rose's Dream
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2012, 08:22:21 AM »
Not too long ago, I was in walmart in the pony isle. I was picking up a few, and I had my son in the cart. I heard a lady make a snarky comment basically challenging my abiliity to parent because I was forcing girls toys onto my little boy. I first couldn't believe that someone would care if a boy had girls toys. I turned and looked at the lady, and said, "don't worry....the ponies are for me." She looked extra shocked. Stupid old bag. lol

:haha: That made me lol. I'd LOVE to know what went through her mind when you said that to her :P Bet it shut her up though ;)
~*Erica*~

:heart: If you have ponies for sale then take a look around my page Desert Rose's Dream :heart:

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2012, 08:24:20 AM »
*giggles*  I used to care, but certainly now I don't.  Maybe it's an age thing...  after awhile, there are much more important things to worry about than what other people think about you when you're standing in an aisle of a retail store!  :-p 

It would have been fun to stalk back past the aisle with the closet brony and sing the Sea Pony song or the theme and noticed if they jumped or started looking around.  Then you jump out and announce, "You TOO?!  HI!  Come visit the Arena!"  :D
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2012, 08:25:16 AM »
wow Josie!, can't believe she actually said that... out loud!  I would have said, "the ponies are for both of us" !!!!  my son has ponies!

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2012, 11:49:08 AM »
My boyfriend (when he was 19) bought me the huge Toola-Roola plushie from Toys R Us. He lived in North Carolina and drove around for 2 weeks (and then 700 extra miles to give it to me) with it in the backseat of his Mustang.

To this day, I have NO idea how he wasn't embarrassed buying it.

Of course, he has no issue going down the pony aisle with me.
Must just be him. :)

My 8 year old son, though, LOVES looking for ponies. He knows my favorites and his school has reward boxes and Ivan has no issue picking out the little g3.5s for me. He'll come home and be like "MOM! GUESS WHAT I GOT YOU! IT'S YOUR FAVORITE!"

I'm dying from cuteness at both your son and your bf!

What an exceptionally ignorant person!

Offline moonflower

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • collecting est. 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2012, 12:21:39 PM »
I usually browse the pony stuff pretending I am buying for someone else - although, I am sure there are a few people who must have seen me browse more than once by now! :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal