collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I think I saw a closet Brony  (Read 5195 times)

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Re: I think I saw a closet Brony
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2012, 05:14:19 PM »
Can we please not associate coming out of the closet with grown men liking a little girls' show? It's a very serious thing, not just someone liking a show they're not the target audience for.

Pinecone, the word closet doesn't have to have anything to do with homosexuality ;) The word means "a state or condition of secrecy or carefully guarded privacy" or "secret and covert" so you could be a closet anything - meaning you're doing something you don't want anyone else to know about ;)

Closet MLP collector - someone who collects MLP but doesn't want anyone to know.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
My Wish List

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2012, 05:18:15 PM »
Can we please not associate coming out of the closet with grown men liking a little girls' show? It's a very serious thing, not just someone liking a show they're not the target audience for.

Sorry to comment again so quickly. The thing is, it's kind of hard NOT to associate it with "coming out of the closet." I mean, any time someone has an interest they don't think people will approve of and hides it, people will make the association. The fact that so many Bronies are also young men makes the association even more tempting.
You're right, though, the big difference is that liking a girls' show is a much less serious thing. But hey, in a perfect world, neither of these things would be issues, serious or otherwise. Sigh.
(Of course, some people would argue it's very similar. My Brony brother actually said it's like admitting you're gay, saying you like My Little Pony is not an admission to be taken lightly, which I think is really silly, but whatever.)

Basically, when people say "closet Brony" or "closet anything," they certainly aren't trying to be offensive. :)

Edit: ^What Shenanigans said!
I'll put something here some time

Offline JigglesTheCat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2012, 05:43:12 PM »
I'm half and half. I kinda walk around the toy isles as if I'm not interested, but if there is something rare or HTF or something, I squeal XD

I'm so jealous of you guys finding bronies nearby! There are so many Texan Arena members, yet I can't find a single one. :'C
I took a break from the Arena from a couple months due to school and other things in my life. But I'm back now!

Offline MnDancer

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2012, 06:07:24 PM »
I remember when I was 12/13 and I was embarrassed to be buying ponies. I'd often have a story made up in my mind, that I was buying it as a birthday present for a little sister or cousin or something. It was the last year they were selling G1s and I was convinced it was my fault they stopped selling them, because I didn't have the guts to buy them enough!
:art:Pony lover since 1983 :rainbow:

Stuntmang

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2012, 06:27:56 PM »
Gonna have to agree with this. Considering I see being a brony equated with being gay WAY too frequently, this is a pet peeve of mine.

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2012, 06:29:06 PM »
I remember when I was 12/13 and I was embarrassed to be buying ponies. I'd often have a story made up in my mind, that I was buying it as a birthday present for a little sister or cousin or something. It was the last year they were selling G1s and I was convinced it was my fault they stopped selling them, because I didn't have the guts to buy them enough!

YOU. You're the one who ended it! >:O Now I know who to blame after all these years.
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Pinecone

« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2012, 08:04:38 PM »
Thing is, people can be murdered for being out of the closet (as gay or trans*, etc.)

It is not the same thing. It's kind of dismissive to throw liking a kids' show out as the same thing.

Offline Daiyuflower

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2012, 08:33:36 PM »
Thing is, people can be murdered for being out of the closet (as gay or trans*, etc.)

It is not the same thing. It's kind of dismissive to throw liking a kids' show out as the same thing.
But the expression "closet" doesn't have to be associated with homosexuality.  You could be a "closet" Red Sox fan or any number of things.  As an idiom, it probably predates any connection with "coming out of the closet" as we use it now.  I don't think the original poster meant to trivialize the struggles of LGBT people when she referred to the kid she saw as a "closet brony." 

Stuntmang

« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2012, 08:37:35 PM »

But the expression "closet" doesn't have to be associated with homosexuality.  You could be a "closet" Red Sox fan or any number of things.  As an idiom, it probably predates any connection with "coming out of the closet" as we use it now.  I don't think the original poster meant to trivialize the struggles of LGBT people when she referred to the kid she saw as a "closet brony."
I realize they didn't mean to, but using "coming out of the closet" to refer to liking a kid's show is still a bad thing to do, regardless of intent. The original use doesn't matter now that it's linked with homosexuality, because coming out as gay is the meaning most attributed to it, and using it as an allegory for enjoying cartoons outside age or gender demographic still trivializes the struggle queers face to the level of bronyism.

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2012, 08:40:16 PM »
Last week or the week before, I saw a young man wearing a shirt that had a simple outline of Rainbow Dash's head on it while I was coming in to work. On the way to my car after work one night, I heard a little girl say that her favorite pony was either Rarity or 'the princess pony' and last week on the way out of a restaurant, heard another little girl discussing which FiM character she'd be. Think it was Sweetie Belle she'd said. Today while I was paying for my wave 4 blind bag, the coworker ringing me up started singing the MLP theme and said he always has to when he sees that logo.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2012, 08:48:35 PM »

1. He was a teenager, not a "grown man".

2. While I understand where all this is coming from, the term "closet" is not exclusive for LGBT. You can be a "closet nerd", a "closet collector", a "closet fashionista". It can apply to anything people are secretive about and to tell someone what they are or are not insinuating is presumptuous. You've taken an innocent saying and turned it into something it isn't.

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2012, 04:14:53 AM »
Lets keep on the original topic please...

I would love to hear other experiences people have had either in being super enthusiastic or understandably cautious about buying ponies.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2012, 09:08:21 PM »
I dunno I keep my clothes in my closet and have no issue at age 52 buying ponies.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2012, 07:26:23 AM »
time to get this thread back on track. This is not a discussion regarding the term being in the closet. Thanks!
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)

APPLBL00M

« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2012, 11:24:47 AM »
I'm a 24 year old guy and when I first started buying pony toys sometime last year I was just as nervous, so I can totally relate. I vaguely remember my first buying experience. I waited until no one was in the pony aisle, then I cautiously walked over to the pony section and grabbed one as fast as I could. I just held it down with the front facing toward me and my hand over the pony on the back. The most embarrassing part was when I got to the register. I just wanted to get it over with and hoped the cashier didn't say anything. I was so nervous, my hands were shaking. I just kept my mouth shut, paid, and got out of there.

The second time wasn't nearly as bad. After I realized that no one seemed to care what I was buying, I was less embarrassed. Eventually after buying so many ponies and no comments whatsoever, the embarrassment went away altogether. Now, I often wear pony shirts when buying ponies and walk down the pony aisle like I would any other, whether anyone's there or not. In fact, yesterday I was looking at the plushies in Walmart and they were on the bottom shelf so I was knelling down inspecting each one to see which one I wanted. At that time an older lady walked over and started looking at something and I just stayed there until I found the one I wanted. I was secretly hoping she would say something, actually. I'm eagerly awaiting the day that either I meet a fellow brony or someone makes a comment about me buying ponies.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal