collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I think I saw a closet Brony  (Read 5194 times)

White Rose

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: I think I saw a closet Brony
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2012, 01:00:38 PM »
Not too long ago, I was in walmart in the pony isle. I was picking up a few, and I had my son in the cart. I heard a lady make a snarky comment basically challenging my abiliity to parent because I was forcing girls toys onto my little boy. I first couldn't believe that someone would care if a boy had girls toys. I turned and looked at the lady, and said, "don't worry....the ponies are for me." She looked extra shocked. Stupid old bag. lol

omg that's amazing hahaha good for you though for saying that to her  :lol:

mollldoll

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2012, 01:06:25 PM »
Ive only ever had positive comments while buying ponys, though I have never had any shame at all in buying them wherever I am. Sometimes I think its best people at carboots/flea markets think your buying for a child though - they tend to charge less lol.

Offline Cadence

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • The Polyglot Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2012, 01:25:43 PM »
I agree with everyone - it must be an age thing! I don't look old enough to be a mom, so I do feel slightly nervous when browsing the toy aisles...

I was at a department store the other day and one of the staff members was cleaning near the pony aisle... so I quickly turned my gaze and started looking at Littlest Pet Shop dolls etc, trying to play it off as "choosing a gift for my younger sister/cousin". ^^;

And when McDonald's had the MLP keychains earlier this year, I had to act uninterested. I asked for the "purple pony"; and when presented with 2 different ones, I coolly chose one and said "This one will probably do/I don't think she has this one." Some of the teenaged workers at McD probably assumed I was a brony - or the gf of a brony! - though. :blush:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 || Sig by LunaCat || :fox: :heart:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2012, 03:52:40 PM »
Thats a cute story! Hopefully he found the pony he was looking for and wasnt too embarrassed to buy or ask his relatives to purchase it for him.

I cant say buying ponies or toys no matter what age I have been at the time has ever bothered me - 11, 21 or 31 years old. There are odder things that people collect and toy collecting as a whole is a pretty wide spread hobby, I just assume that most people have heard of toy collecting - whether that be model trains or barbies :)

It is lovely how we can all enjoy the pony-ness here though without the fear of being judged.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

GoodyGumdrop

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2012, 04:20:52 PM »
My husband and I were checking out a couple of TRUs for Zecora and the Collector's set this weekend and we actually saw two young boys (grade school age)  with their father, buying ponies in the pony aisle to play with.

TBH, I even think some of the ponies like Zecora and Shining Armor (ponies with mohawks and fuzzy manes!!) and  playsets like the trainset would be very appealing for young boys. I'm willing to bet if the trainset came with a boy pony and were colored a little bit differently (maybe bright red, or brown, instead of pink) that parents would not balk at buying such a toy for their sons.

My husband has often bought me ponies over the years, and even worked at TRU when we were younger, so he's gotten over the fear of having to handle what appear to be girly toys.

And LOL, now this makes me want to go out and buy another trainset, and customize it so it would be a My Little Manly Pony Trainset.

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2012, 04:28:53 PM »
He's not a Brony, but I always tease him that he should just come out and admit it.  :lol:

I do this to my husband, too! When my cousin came to visit I made him name off the Mane 6 for her. Ha ha!

Not too long ago, I was in walmart in the pony isle. I was picking up a few, and I had my son in the cart. I heard a lady make a snarky comment basically challenging my abiliity to parent because I was forcing girls toys onto my little boy. I first couldn't believe that someone would care if a boy had girls toys. I turned and looked at the lady, and said, "don't worry....the ponies are for me." She looked extra shocked. Stupid old bag. lol

Psh! What an unmentionable word! I'm glad you stood up for yourself and retorted. I cannot stand people like that, people who think they can judge other people's parenting skills based on what they let their kids wear or what they let their kids play with. And then to make the assumption that you "force" your son to play with "girls' toys" just really pushes all the wrong buttons. What if he likes ponies? Why is that a problem?

Get off your high horse and learn a little humility.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 04:31:44 PM by Yurusumaji »

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

ButtonMasher

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2012, 11:57:55 PM »
Cute story :) Poor guy. It's got to be especially hard as a teen when all that cools kids/losers, nerds/jocks or whatever else teens call themselves and each other garbage is in full swing. Being noticed by ANYONE probably would probably freak him out a bit.

Heck, even as an adult that's comfortable in toy stores and used to buying toys for myself, I was pretty self conscious the first time I went to buy ponies at a brick and mortar store. I think I got over that when I was picking up those Rainbow Flash and Daisy Dreams double packs for overseas folk and ended up at the checkout with like a dozen of each. No point trying to be furtive then :P

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2012, 01:16:55 PM »

LOL, I'm glad you said something to her! None of her busines, crazy old lady :P
My Wish List

Offline StarDragon

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony mommy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2012, 01:20:07 PM »
I went to Wal-Mart today (and managed to score all 24 wave 4 Bling Bags, eeee!) and while I was in the pony aisle I noticed a boy (he looked about 13 or 14) walking passed the pony aisle about 4 or 5 times. I thought it was kinda strange. I got the Blind Bags and turned down the Disney/board game aisle and then turned back around to show my sister my loot. I passed by the pony aisle when I turned and the boy was now in the pony aisle looking at I think Princess Cadance. I thought maybe he was embarrassed to be seen looking at ponies while someone else was looking at them too? I thought it was kinda cute though and would have been happy to talk to another fan, but didn't want to embarrass him ^.^

I have to admit... I do it too and I'm a 20 year old female. I know it probably looks completely normal but I still tempt myself into telling someone (if they ask what I am doing with ponies) that they are for my cousin's 9th birthday.  :blush:

I'm shy with strangers, but all my friends and family know I love ponies.

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2012, 01:35:53 PM »
Well, i'm not that shy anymore. I probably looked pretty awkward before buying my first G4 :P
Well, even though i buy toys proudly now, i still haven't told my friends... Sigh.

Offline MoonStars

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2012, 02:00:33 PM »

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHH!!! LOL *People*! Geez. *gets out blood pressure cuff*

Offline keylimepony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Kiwi Tart
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2012, 03:16:00 PM »
It doesnt bother me to bein the toy section. I actually enjoy browsing around for ponies, Pokemon, and Monster High. Luckily the toy section at Target is right by the video games so hubby just amuses himself over there while I browse. He likes to look at toys but not in the girly aisles. He prefers browsing for Nintendo figures to decorate his desk.
Thank you TwistedRainbow for my avatar and RainbowJuice for my signature!

Pinecone

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2012, 04:52:51 PM »
Can we please not associate coming out of the closet with grown men liking a little girls' show? It's a very serious thing, not just someone liking a show they're not the target audience for.

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2012, 05:06:12 PM »
you should see ME in the pony aisle!!!

here I am a 30+ grown man getting a little huffy because there's all these KIDS are in the toy section!!!  :P

That's how I am! These dang kids crowding the aisles, taking toys away from the hard-working adult! ;)

I love being in the toy aisle. Always have. When I was a teenager, I made up an imaginary nephew "Kevin" who I could say I'm buying Pokemon for.  :blush: Fortunately, by the time I got into MLP, I was old enough not to be insecure anymore! My friend, on the other hand, is an incredibly tall young man who has frequently been glared at and taken for a pedophile when he goes hunting for Transformers. He's even seen parents yank their kids away from him, even though he clearly has zero interest in the kids around him, just the toys. Maybe the wide-brimed hat shadowing his face and the leather jacket have something to do with it? I don't know. I don't get people. Especially stupid old bags. :)
I'll put something here some time

Offline LadySatine

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • It's time for the robot test!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2012, 05:08:21 PM »
Teehee! Some folks are only okay with coming out of the closet online, 'cause of the anonymity.

I'm shameless. You can see me loudly running through the toy aisles of just about any store, exclaiming my love for ponies and monsters and all that jazz. I mean, yeah, I'm female. I'm also 24 and I'm sure people think I'm a nutter.

Lol me too. :P

Vintage toys on Ebay:MLP Customs on Etsy: :freak: Commission Status: CLOSED:Avatar by FloralHippo:Siggy pony by Griffin :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal