collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Monster High Discussion Thread  (Read 43101 times)

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Monster High Discussion Thread
« Reply #1035 on: August 30, 2012, 09:56:20 AM »
Does anyone know if toys r us is still getting shipments of the Werecat twins?  I passed on them a few months ago, and now I'm having regret, lol
I have yet to see them PERIOD!! Hopefully since the holiday season is coming up, they're making a whole lot more. I really want them and wish I had the money for them at the moment...*opens her empty wallet*
My Flickr Page
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

Offline Mandy85

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: August 30, 2012, 10:04:15 AM »
I can't tell by looking at the hair, but I'll take your word for it that it's saran.  If it is, I'd say she's pretty rare.  When I got mine, Christmas 2010, she was already being produced with Kanekalon.  I'm no expert though!  Congrats.  I'd like to own both, just to "feel" the difference (even if I'm not a big fan of the face-up.)

Yeah, it's hard to see in photos, and even in real life it doesn't smack you in the face. But I did notice when I was rearranging them that her hair was different. So I got her and the other Ghoulia out and made my husband feel her. He said that there was a difference [and he liked the kanekalon better] I had noticed her front part was a *little* different than the other signature Ghoulia's, so that's what made me take notice. That and her hips are elastic strung with white elastic, and the other Ghoulia has black elastic. [dunno if that matters?]

I purchased my signature Ghoulia shortly after she began popping up on shelves and mine definitely has saran hair as well. From what I've seen, Mattel only produced her this way for a very limited window before switching them over to kanekalon, so she is something of a rarity. Congrats on your find. :)
Hm, now I'm curious as I have 2 sig Ghoulias as well, (one of which is still in her box, I just wanted her stock mostly). Is the difference just that the kanekalon is softer? I don't think I've ever really had anything to compare to, as I primarily have Ghoulias.
Hello everyone randomly popping into this topic if you don't mind. That stuff about a saran haired Ghoulia intrest me. You see I got her back in early October 2010 before knowing that she even existed meaning she must be a rather earily verson so I'm thinking it may be likely that she has saran hair. Is there any real way to tell the diffrence? I have noticed her hair is sightly diffrent from some of my other dolls but I don't know if that really means anything.

I've found that kanekalon is really light and feathery, almost flyaway when compared to saran, which is thicker in texture and the fibers feel a bit heavier. Saran also has some glossiness/slickness to it, while kanekalon is a bit duller in the light.

Other MH dolls that I know have kanekalon would be Spectra, Venus, Robecca, and Jackson (signature only, his Gloom Beach version is rooted with saran). Draculaura has been theorized to be a mix of both, with black saran and pink kanekalon. The other signature dolls are rooted with saran, though I'm unsure if there have been any more variants or mixes along the way. I don't collect much outside the signature dolls, so there may be some discrepancies between lines that I'm also unaware of.

Both fibers seem to have their pros and cons. I prefer saran for straight-haired dolls, but it's very difficult to get it to hold a curl long term and needs high heat in order to style. Kanekalon can be styled and set at a lower heat, however it tangles very easily and is much more prone to crimping if the fibers are snagged in a brush.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:36:52 AM by Mandy85 »

Offline skyrocketneko

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Sometimes I like to play with lizards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: August 30, 2012, 02:33:02 PM »
Well, I'm waiting impatiently to see if my parents were able to pick up Howleen/Clawdeen for me at their Target. So nice of them to go for me- there are none in this whole state!

CLICK ON CELESTIA FOR TONS OF SALES!

Offline cuddlebuggy

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: August 30, 2012, 02:37:52 PM »
My TRU is putting a large MH display right next to the Hunger Games stuff and Venus and the Werecat twins are both pictured on it. I'm stalking them daily now but they expect to stock things regularly till Christmas.
Today I went to 4 stores looking for Venus and Robecca for my girls. I came home to find the ones I ordered from Amazon here already. Thanks to whomever it was who said they were there!

Thanks to Whippetluv for my sig representing my two girls!

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #1039 on: August 30, 2012, 03:03:41 PM »
I just bought my second doll today!!!!  GR Frankie.  I really like her and Abbey.  Of the two though Abbey is my favorite.  I really like the Ghouls Rule set...love the costumes and hair.  Now if they others hadn't gotten cleared out the day I bought Abbey.  I did notice that GR Clawdeen has a partially shaved head and I don't know how much I like that.  I like the rest of her but not that, especially because they put leopard spots on her head there.  Weird. 

All of the stores around here are very skimpy on MH dolls...no signatures, few SS, less and less GR.  1600 Draculaura is even starting to wane.  However, there were like 5 1600 Frankies at Walmart.  Apparently she is not that popular.

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline shockponie

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: August 30, 2012, 03:45:56 PM »
On Monday, I saw a big stack of boxes in the toy section at my Walmart. The boxes were mostly brown (cardboard), with purple on the tops & bottoms. I scanned them all to see if I could read Monster High on any - I couldn't - but I saw one that said Barbie. I was like, "must be Mattel stock!" I checked again today. BINGO! Found me a Venus! :biggrin: There were two each of Venus & Robecca. The other Venus had a big scratch down the center of her left eye. :( Oo, I would've been mad if she were the only one left. Luckily, I had my pick.  ^^; Now I'm waiting for my birthday & Christmas to open my first two MH dollies. :sheepish:
Avatar by Shenanigans; Sig by Shaiyeh

Offline skyrocketneko

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Sometimes I like to play with lizards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: August 30, 2012, 04:08:18 PM »
My dad picked me up 2 sets of Howleen and Clawdeen! He's shipping them to me. So excited to get them! Yayyyyy

CLICK ON CELESTIA FOR TONS OF SALES!

Offline mlpcrazy

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: August 30, 2012, 04:34:11 PM »
I was reading on another forum over the weekend (of course I can't remember/find it now) that Robecca's penguin comes with either a black or gold backpack.  Anybody know if that's true?  (See completist self-proclamation above LOL!)  I was wondering if maybe it was a promo or custom or something...heaven help me if its actually real!  :)

Ooh intriguing! Could it be a different factory/batch thing?
My Robecca's penguin has a black backpack. What does it usually have?

Mine also has black, I'm curious to see if anyone has gotten a gold one...

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: August 30, 2012, 04:40:13 PM »
our penguin has a gold backpack.

Kathmom

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1044 on: August 30, 2012, 06:09:51 PM »
My target got the ss 5 pack today if anyone needs it let me know!  :biggrin:

Offline Airiel

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Professional Parasol Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: August 30, 2012, 06:42:46 PM »
My penguin's backback is the same color as his/her body.  The only painted parts are the eyes and the beak.  Oversights or more laziness on Mattel's part?  Hmmm....   :hmm:

Airiel

"Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly."

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: August 30, 2012, 06:45:50 PM »
ALRIGHT, RANT TIME. JUST NEED TO RAGE FOR A SECOND.

Today I went to Target, there are two on the same road so I went to the farther away one first.
I brought the DCPI for Howleen and Clawdeen and asked for assistance. A woman came by and rudely raised her voice at me exclaiming that they do NOT sell things from the back and she will not check for me. I'd have to come back next week.
We went to the next Target where an older gentleman who was really nice checked fthe DCPI or me on their computer. He said "Oh! I know who these are, the werewolf girls. These were on the shelf this morning, but they appear to not be in stock in the back anymore. I'll go check the shelf for you they should be right here. If not, bring this DCPI number to the front desk and they can check the other Target's (the one I was at earlier) stock and see if they have one they can hold for you."
None left on the shelf so the woman at the front desk looked on their computers. "Yes, they appear to have 4 in their back room right now. I don't understand why they would refuse to hold one for you, it's not a big deal and they are priced and in their system. I'll call over for you."
She calls over to the other Target and gets on the phone with someone at their guest services, somehow gets them to get one out of the back room, hold it for me and tells me to drive back over. I'm super excited at this point and the woman at the desk is still confused as to why the other woman did not even check for me to see if they had any and why they wouldn't sell from the back when they're not an unpriced new product.
We drive back over, walk to guest services and the woman asks "You're here for some dolls? Ok let me call the toy section manager. I don't see them here."
Apparently they had actually taken them out of the back room and PUT THEM BACK IN. The toy section manager, who was apparently the same woman who borderline yelled at me, came back out to talk to me. At this point, my partner who rarely gets angry is beyond furious at her. We had been driving around like idiots for a toy they DO have and refuse to sell to us even though they confirmed that they were holding one for me. Then she has the nerve to LIE to us saying that "We don't sell things out of the back room, I already told both of you this. It's against Target policy and they're not even priced yet. We DO NOT SELL THINGS OUT OF THE BACK ROOM, I AM SORRY."
The man at the other Target CONFIRMED to us their price and that the one at the Target with the angry lady were priced.
We ended up leaving after talking to her, called a Target 30 minutes away (we were already 40 minutes from home, orz.) and asked if they had them in stock. He said the store had two and they would hold them for us no problem. Walk in, they're on the Electronics section counter, we paid and walked out. Absolutely no problem, the man said they don't have any policies against selling items if they're not on the shelf and if they are in stock and in the system.
I am never going to that Target again~ :'D

« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 06:48:56 PM by Chi »
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:

Offline justkitter

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: August 30, 2012, 06:47:35 PM »
I found this link for a dress up game on Monsterhigh.com.  There are some interesting outfits on there I wouldn't mind owning ;) 

Remember when Ghoulia's GB suit popped up on Stardoll (?) before her doll was released???
Hmmmmm.......

http://www.monsterhigh.com/games/photoshoot

Post Merge: August 30, 2012, 06:53:48 PM

I'm SO sorry, Chi:(  What a horrible person.  I'm happy you got two.  Kinda a little reward for all the trouble she put you through.  This story is exactly why I'm not going to any Target and asking for help.  I know I'll find someone just like her!  (Plus no Targets have them around me anyway :rolleyes:)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 06:53:48 PM by grzankitter »
I won't be checking this site anymore for messages.  If you need me, you can contact me at the MHArena :bigups:

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
« Reply #1048 on: August 30, 2012, 07:04:31 PM »

Today I went to Target, there are two on the same road so I went to the farther away one first....

Oooh... did you go to the one at the RI Mall first?  They've given me trouble there in the past and won't get stuff that's definitely in the back.  The older one, across from Chili's, is where I got mine the other night, and when the guy who was helping me was talking to the backroom, he said "I'm coming back, I need at least a case of the werewolves to put out here for them."  I wonder if it was the same guy?

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: August 30, 2012, 07:07:50 PM »

Today I went to Target, there are two on the same road so I went to the farther away one first....

Oooh... did you go to the one at the RI Mall first?  They've given me trouble there in the past and won't get stuff that's definitely in the back.  The older one, across from Chili's, is where I got mine the other night, and when the guy who was helping me was talking to the backroom, he said "I'm coming back, I need at least a case of the werewolves to put out here for them."  I wonder if it was the same guy?
I went to the one that's connected to the Warwick mall first... At least now I know you've gotten trouble from them too. The one across Chilis/Petsmart was the one that tried to call the other one for me and had the nice people that were totally confused as to why they wouldn't sell me them.
I had to drive to Lincoln to get the sisters. ;A;
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal