collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do "imperfections" on your ponies bother you?  (Read 4064 times)

Offline Mintymints

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Sock collector extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Re: Do "imperfections" on your ponies bother you?
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2012, 08:54:08 AM »
It depends...
If they have a little bit of cancer, I can just shrug it off, because it gives the pony character, if I can get it off, I I most likely will, but I'm not extremely picky. Overall the things that bother me most are huge and noticeable PEN or MARKER type marks.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

By Sunnyrain~Avvie by Starsteppony on DA

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2012, 09:30:43 AM »
I have just about every issue in my herd. I have very few with cancer spots, one nick in an ear which I filed down so you can't see it now, few with hair cuts and one chew. I dislike problems I can't fix like chews, holes and serious hair cuts. I also don't like symbol rubs where most of the middle of the symbol is gone. I'd rather just eraser off the whole thing that look at that mess on a pony.  When I buy, I try to buy as good as I can find, but I am realistic about what these are made out of and how hard it is to find minty ponies..especially white ones.  I also dislike chewed off unicorn horns. I mean Ouch!!  No mold either as I am allergic and I get rid of cigarette smelling ponies and they make me very sick...because some just don't ever smell good again even with treatment.

I accept most ponies into my herd. I'd prefer no cancer & I want the cutie marks to be in good shape. Head/body mismatches don't bother me; I just necklace 'em a la Lemondrop. I just see 'em as tan lines. ;)

Wow what a fabulous idea I never thought of..takes the eye away from the pony, but over time do you find dye transfer with those colored bands?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 09:34:21 AM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline shockponie

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2012, 12:04:08 PM »
Wow what a fabulous idea I never thought of..takes the eye away from the pony, but over time do you find dye transfer with those colored bands?
I've done this with the 4 mismatches I have (LD is the newest) & I've been watching them to see if that'd happen. No signs of bleeding. The first one I did it to (black band around Majesty) has had it for a little over a year. It's also very dry here & I wonder if that plays a role.
Avatar by Shenanigans; Sig by Shaiyeh

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2012, 12:13:43 PM »
It totally depends on what I paid for the pony.  Sweet deal?  Imperfections are fine.  Paid out the nose?  That thing better still smell like the factory. 

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2012, 12:15:55 PM »
I am much much picker now than I used to be...I dont want any body marks and I dont want any hair cuts. In fact the only things I can cope with are some minor head/body mismatches, the odd blush fade and a minor fade/scratch in symbol. But thats really it. I dont even like faded hair any more and am trying to track down upgrades for a couple of my white hair faded ponies.

I am not a minty minty collector but I do only collect my ponies in as nice a condition as possible [the exception to this in my collection are a couple of the Y3 Sea Ponies who have age marks as I have never come across them any other way :P]

Man I sound a complete fuss pot!!!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Binny

« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2012, 12:10:53 AM »
Big time, unfortunately. I tend to notice every little thing that's 'wrong' with them, including any stray hairs that look like they were cut off short, usually near the top, which I have a bad habit of trying to just pull out.  >_<

I try to inspect each one in the box before I buy to get the 'best' one in the bunch. Unfortunately, early on I still managed to end up with two G4s with uneven eyes. I also recently got a few G3s and one of them seems to have two extra holes for the hair at the very end of her neck where the head connects to the body, only there's no hair coming out of them; an obvious factory error. She also seems to have two tiny holes inside her lips, though you have to look very closely in the right light to see them. I chose her over the other they had because she had more glitter, but did not notice the other things at the time.

Even after trying to inspect them in-store, I can still say that probably less than half the ponies I've gotten are visibly perfect.

Offline TimeDance

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2012, 08:23:20 AM »
When I first got back into ponies a few years ago, I thought I was going to be a picky collector. I wanted my ponies to be super nice and clean when I brought them home. I hate having dirty things in my living space.

But I also got into customizing at the same time. I bought a lot of G1 "bait" ponies online and found most of them weren't really baity, just dirty and in need of some TLC.  Most of them ended up being cleaned and either added to my collection or sold.

In this, I discovered my love for cleaning up and restoring ponies. Now I aim for the manky ponies when I buy. Minty ponies seem boring to me now, LOL. I am more than happy to leave the really nice ponies to the picky collectors.

Offline hokuspokus

• Undiscovered 8th pony in the 7TALES series
  • Trade Count: (+108)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Touch my plastic face
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2012, 11:22:41 AM »
I don't mind most imperfections. I have a baby Bowtie & Baby Applejack whith short hair; but it fits them perfectly! As long as they can wear a ponytail it is fine. But a mohawk would be rehaired!

I don't mind pen spots either, when they are little. Offcourse i don't like a body filled with pen writing, but little is fine. I like it when a pony shows 'life'. You can see how much joy a pony has given to a child.

Cancer spots are a no go for me. I would never buy a cancer pony. I hate regrind too, and try to avoid regrind ponies. For the rest, i'm pretty easy. When something else looks bad i can always try to fix it. And some ponies look still good with flaws :) Nobody is perfect!

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2012, 01:37:25 PM »
I embrace flaws....I played with my ponies all the time...and their unresolvable marks are proof of that:) I just can not pass up a G1 no matter the flaw...missing limbs is hard...as I have no talent to sculpt....but Ihave tattered, ink penned, creative color, chewed horn ear....ect I take them all. Regrind does not bother me much at all. Most of the times I can not tell...and on the one pony I do have with regrind looks still cute:) My ponies were thrown away by my mom....so I just cant part with those that could have the same fate.
Voices by Share for all your piano, voice, pageants, and knitting needs. http://www.ebay.com/usr/crowningglory0013 or trade
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381689.msg1576786#msg1576786 want list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,290863.msg114445.html#msg114445
Facebook: Voices by Share

Offline Cadence

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • The Polyglot Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2012, 03:28:11 PM »
For G1s, it's really whatever I can get -- with the exception of mold/regrind spots on them! (I have allergies  >_<) I am picky with cancer and ink spots though, so I'd prefer ponies in good condition. Hair cuts are fine as long as they look acceptable. White ponies should be white, not a faded yellow. Faded pink hair is okay because it's replaceable.

As for G3s, I don't like glue on them but that can't always be helped. :(

With all gens, scratches on symbols/eyes are a no no. Same goes to head/body-colour mismatches -- or misalignments.

But other than that, I'm totally not picky. XD
 || Sig by LunaCat || :fox: :heart:

BeatleDash

« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2012, 06:04:12 PM »
The only imperfections I can really attempt to fix are frizzy hair and pindot. The imperfections that bother me on G4s would be really noticable color difference, very major issues like head falling off [ :shocked: ] or like cutiemark missing. G1's I am more picky about, because they are like... I don't know xD I think they are like, more elegant than G4's. So they shouldn't have too many things wrong with them if they are going to be in my collection.

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2012, 01:43:09 PM »
I am actually quite picky when it comes to the ponies I buy second-hand, or I need to feel the "don't worry - I will come to your rescue"-feeling. But quite a lot of the ponies in my collection do have imperfections, and not only minor. Those are the ponies from my childhood (as almost all my ponies are childhood ponies). I played with them - a lot! And therefore, they look it too. I love them with their imperfections though, but I'm not sure if I would be quite as forgiving if they were others childhood ponies. After all, I love them because they are in my memories of a wonderful time. Yeah, so I might be pickier than most maybe.... I'm not any good at restoring though, so maybe if I was I wouldn't mind imperfections.
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Moss

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Let it go~
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2012, 06:57:45 PM »
I'm a g4 collector, and considering the fact that most of them come with flaws right out of the package, I usually just accept them as the pony's quirks. I wish this wasn't that case with brand new toys, but it is what it is. I only get picky with really noticible flaws, like dents in the plastic or horrendous pain problems. But if it's something small, like a scratch, I'll get the pony anyway.
Click here for MLP coupons --->
link
avatar from generalzoi's pony creator
formerly known as Mosspath!

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2012, 08:51:14 PM »
It does bother me a little that my childhood ponies have some smudges and black pen-like marks on them now but then again they are really old and have been with me most of my life.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

xXCosmicBurstXx

« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2012, 08:55:29 PM »
I'm not picky about G1 and G2 ponies. It's harder to find them in perfect condition. I don't mind minor flaws on G3 ponies as well. I am really picky about my G4 collection. I can't stand mismatched ponies. >.<

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal