collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do "imperfections" on your ponies bother you?  (Read 4060 times)

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Do "imperfections" on your ponies bother you?
« on: July 02, 2012, 03:35:43 PM »
I know there's a wide range of collector types, so I'm curious to know, how do you feel about imperfections on your ponies? Anything from faded or scratched eyes/cutie marks, or mismatched heads/bodies? What about random un-removable marks, or small nicks on the hooves or ears? Do you pass by ponies with these flaws? Are you adamant about fixing them? Do you ignore them but feel subconsciously bothered by them? Or do you just embrace them as part of the pony and see it as a quirky attribute to its unique personality?

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: Do "imperfections" on your ponies bother you?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 03:39:06 PM »
The last option for the most part. I'm a rescuer. I like nice ponies but I'd rather pay less for more ponies by not being too picky. I just don't like leaking plastic and really am not a fan of mismatch heads. You can't get away from mismatch heads on some ponies though. I hate when people bait a G1 for a few specks or a chewed ears or haircut. So NOT a bait.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 03:42:08 PM »
I don't mind most imperfections.  I don't even mind minor cancer spots, though since those can spread, I do rather not.  Eye scratches, I fix.  Symbol scratches, if not bad, I just leave alone.  Marks on the pony I do try to remove or sunfade, but if I can't, no biggie.  head/body mismatches DO bug me a lot, though! LOL  Cut hair I sometimes mind, sometimes not.  I have a sparkle pony whose hair is short and tail is very short, and I like her that way. 

See?  I think she looks really cool like that, personally.

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 03:47:44 PM »
Well, while I can't stand mangy flocking (much to my chagrin, once I found out how &^%$ much work deflocking is!), I'm only a beginner, really.  From what I've seen, though, about the only things I'd pass up a pony for are gooey, oozy plastic, or missing limbs.  Everything else is either within my abilities to fix, clean, or ignore. ^.^

Besides, I'm far from perfect myself... :blush:

@ Hyenacub:  Ooo, that sparkle pony is so cute!  You're right, the cut does suit her... ^.^

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

QueenGusty

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 03:48:38 PM »
I can deal with a fair few imprefections-frizzy hair, little nicks (kinda helps that in my headcanon the ponies of Dream Valley have been through a terrible rebellion so war wounds :P ) trimmed hair, slight tail rust etv. what I can't deal with is the half-mohawk, when a few plugs of hair have been cut really close to the head. I've got a magenta symboled posey like that right now, I'm waiting for an upgrade and then going to stick her back on the 'bay with a wee headband to try and help her feel more confident :D

Carrie

Offline Starly

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 04:03:24 PM »
I hate frizzy hair as I lack patience to deal with it, but not much else bothers me, especially when it comes to G4s. If their hair is dry, I just condition it.
When the Equestria Girls dolls show up in stores and you end up with unneeded doubles, PM me! I'll buy them!/i]

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 04:10:01 PM »
The only things that really bug me are chews, missing pieces (bitten off ear, hole in leg, etc), and writing not on the bottom of hooves. Pretty much anything else I'm fine with, as I'm a baity collector, and I actually prefer most G1s to be tailless and like most haircuts.

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 04:12:24 PM »
Sugar Lightning, thanks!  XD 

I also like to think that I am loving a toy that maybe others would not love.  That's also a small part of why I collect creepy toys.  not many people do. 

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline scarlettkitty81

• Trade Count: (+275)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 04:18:22 PM »
I hate to admit this but I am a super picky collector. My major peeves are eye and symbol rubs followed by ink and highlighter stains. I used to frown on hair issues but now I am excited to try my hand at rehairing so I can fix some of my G1's up that have dry/frizzy hairdos :)

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 04:23:19 PM »
I'm not super picky. Spots can be faded out. Eyes can be repainted, symbols too. Hair can be replaced. Body color mis-match, eh, who cares. Chews push me to the limit, but small dents are OK. Quite a few ponies in my collection have been restored.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline StarlightGaze

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess Luna admirer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 04:32:53 PM »
I really dislike head/body mismatches. I have a few ponies with mismatches. My Rarity has an eyesmear and some weird little dots in various places, and I got a Sweetie Swirl with a flawed cutiemark but I bought her because she was cheap on ebay. I'm probably going to use my Rarity as bait later when I decide to start customizing.

FriendshipIsWitchcraft975

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 04:35:15 PM »
I usually don't notice or care. However, I do have one pony that REALLY bugs me. She has a blue spot on her chin, and it's pretty large. I'm guessing it's from a marker, but I never got around to cleaning it.

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 04:42:58 PM »
I'm pretty discerning when it comes to my ponies. I know each and every imperfection each of my ponies has if they have any but there are things I can deal with and things I can not. I've replaced a few of my ponies now because of factory defects they had.
Scuffs/smudges to the decals drive me nuts. (Though some of my 2011 McDonalds ponies have some scuffs and it's not really been a priority to replace them...)
I guess it just depends on how obvious the imperfection is. If it's something most of the ponies have like Feathermay's mismatch, it doesn't really bother me but if it's a defect that just my pony happens to have I kind of assess how much it bothers me and if I should replace that pony or not, like I re-bought my FS Applejack because the one I got had a shorter than normal tail but the scuff on my Lily Blossom's ear doesn't seem so bad as to make a point to replace her.
I mean I'd rather have a pony with a small imperfection than not having her at all but flaws do bother me especially since I only collect G4 so most of the ponies I buy are brand new.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 04:49:57 PM by 3377345 »

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 05:01:55 PM »
Nah, doesn't really bother me. I'm looking to upgrade the few ponies with cancer/mold that I have, but I don't mind yellowed bodies, scuffs to paint (within reason), haircuts (within reason) or stray marks that can't be cleaned as long as they're not obnoxious. I like fixing up baity ponies, and what I can't fix becomes character, for the most part.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 05:07:37 PM »
Depends to me honestly.

I don't like bringing moldy ponies into my herd and cancer is a no no. I tolerate it from my beloved childhood ponies, and the odd spot on a hard to find pony maybe, but other than that, I avoid it. Hair cuts are sometimes so cool and a nice variation! regrind, if not a huge epidemic on the pony is okay too :) I dunno, sometimes it all just depends on the pony and how it's placed I guess XD

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal