collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Toys that used to scare you as a child  (Read 5493 times)

Offline CrazyCatPony

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 1st step is to admit you have a problem, i dont :)
    • View Profile
Re: Toys that used to scare you as a child
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2014, 12:21:50 PM »
Antique dolls, baby dolls, clown dolls and really anything that talked! (Talking baby dolls still freak me the heck out, those motion activated ones at the store....grr) my sister had one of the original furrby things and I can verify that it still blinked with no batteries! What is that? What kinda demon possesses a toy like that!?

I know I had some toys hidden away forever because they scared me but which ones exactly is have to ask my dad lol teddy rucsbin may have been one of them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2014, 12:26:30 PM »
Edit: The game Perfection also really scared me as a kid. Looking back, I realize that was because it was a nightmare for anyone with a hint of anxiety.  The loud buzzer didn't help either.  -_-

Oh my gosh you just brought back memories!  I was also scared of the game but played it anyway.  I was afraid it would hurt my fingers when it popped.  But I wanted very much to play it so I would anyway.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2014, 02:32:23 PM »
I should probably mention something about Furbies... remember that little black screen that they had on their foreheads, in between their eyes? That was a solar-powered backup system for the toy, so that it could still run without batteries. That's why so many of them will still come to life when you get tired of them and take the batteries out.

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2014, 03:10:16 PM »
As a child? Clown dolls still scare me.....
:biggrin: >_<^.^

Offline Eily311

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2014, 12:22:08 AM »
for my 7th birthday my mothers friend gave me a porcelain doll. She had  fair skin, blonde hair, blue eyes, a yellow dress, knee high socks and ahat with a dangling ribbon and she blinked. I absolutely hated that doll. I ripped off her hair so that I could cover her face. My mothers friend collected porcelain dolls so her house was filled with them. I despised going over her house.

Instagram: Eily311MLP
Eily311 (personal page)

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2014, 01:46:49 AM »
I had a book about the tin soldier.  There was a really creepy wizard type character in it who ended up locked in the 'monkey in the barrel' drum.  The last image of him kind of peeking out the side always freaked me out as a kid.  My brother actually found the book recently and it still gave me the heebie jeebies, lol!!  :)

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2014, 02:08:23 AM »
Oh, and someone said a couple pages back that they were terrified of Cookie Monster? Yup, I'm in that camp too. :yikes: When I was 4 years old I had a (now funny but then absolutely terrifying) dream that Cookie Monster teamed up with Bluto from the Popeye cartoons to take over the world, and they did this by eating everything in sight, which included my kiddy pool. :anger: So I told my grandpa, who ate a can of spinach like Popeye and became strong enough to beat them up!

Now it's just sort of cute, but imagine having that dream as a 4-year-old! Nope nope nope!

Offline BomChorom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2014, 06:48:56 AM »
Oh dear, I was totally afraid of an ET figurine a friend of my brother had. Whenever my brother and his friend wanted to get rid of me from my brothers room, they would show me the ET figurine, it was like their own kindergarteners repellent! And I can totally sympathise with people that find some porcelain dolls creepy  :(

flyawayraven

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2014, 09:03:13 AM »
I should probably mention something about Furbies... remember that little black screen that they had on their foreheads, in between their eyes? That was a solar-powered backup system for the toy, so that it could still run without batteries. That's why so many of them will still come to life when you get tired of them and take the batteries out.

Really?! I would bet covering those with duct tape or something would silence the fell beasts once and for all.

Offline Ionn

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Horse Shaped Object Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2014, 08:42:15 PM »
These stories are making me grin. lol!  Love them.

I was always a bit afraid of dolls, so all of mine lived in a toybox... with a lock.   I loved horse toys until my dad bought me a Dungeons and Dragons Nightmare Evil for Christmas.  So scary I cried.

Here is a sold one on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Evil-Nightmare-horse-Advanced-Dungeons-Dragons-LJN-Grand-Toys-Macao-1983-/310982347677?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item4867fe0b9d

Thanks dad! :D

I can't really recall any toys that scared me as a kid, although I was alternately fascinated by & contemptuous of my Grandmother's gollywog. (It's a doll, bleh/Why is it so weird & black?!)

But I would have ADORED that heck-horse thing as a kid! In fact, I received a big D&D dragon (the 5-headed one) one year for Christmas. I was so enamored of it I insisted it accompany the family to church! I can only imagine what the other churchgoers thought of this little girl toting a bright red, foot-long 5-headed monstrosity around Christmas mass!  :lol:

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2014, 04:03:57 PM »
I remember I went through this phase as a little kid where I would stare at my closed wardrobe doors at night from my bed, scared that my Darth Vadar figurine would come to life  :lol: 

He was one of those little figurines from the early 80's (or whenever those little action figures came out), and I remember his little black cape and orange light saber. I don't know what happened to him. I had him, Yoda, Chewie and Luke. They'd probably be quite collectable now  :huh:

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2014, 04:36:21 PM »
I had a book about the tin soldier.  There was a really creepy wizard type character in it who ended up locked in the 'monkey in the barrel' drum.  The last image of him kind of peeking out the side always freaked me out as a kid.  My brother actually found the book recently and it still gave me the heebie jeebies, lol!!  :)

Oh, if we're doing books- I had a book of kid ghost stories and in one of the stories the kids were having a sleepover at a museum.

Etc, etc, and one of them is kidnapped/killed by a mummy and turned into one. The end!

I was so afraid to sleep that night I actually snuck out of bed and tore the book in half like it was the source of my fears.

I was then able to sleep.

Ah, eight years old.
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline unluckyrabbit

• Captain Jack Pony
  • Ponies have taken over my life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2014, 06:40:02 PM »
I used to have some teletubbies stuffed animals and for some reason I always felt like they would explode if i touched them so I hardly ever did..

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2014, 11:52:44 AM »
Wrinkles :(

I love my Wrinkles...I still have him to this day. But he used to start talking in the middle of the night if I left his battery in - that was a scary thing to be woken up to as a kid.

Also as a 33 year old woman, thanks to too many scary movies, certain dolls scare me :P
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline starrypawz

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
    • View Profile
    • http://starrypawz.deviantart.com
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2014, 01:41:56 PM »
Ooglies, anyone remember those? Their thing was you tickled them to make them laugh and I had one and managed to get it to near hysterical levels and it was terrifying

And I had a doll with a tape player in the back, called a Glo something I think, An when it 'spoke' the mouth was like a red moving circle and I remember finding it kind of creepy

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal