collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Toys that used to scare you as a child  (Read 5503 times)

SockThief

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Toys that used to scare you as a child
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2014, 12:22:24 PM »
Furbies, I always hated them. I still think they are creepy as hell. Also, my Grandma had a porcelain doll that I swear seems like it is alive.  :cry:

Offline Jocelyn

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2014, 12:32:16 PM »
Edit: The game Perfection also really scared me as a kid. Looking back, I realize that was because it was a nightmare for anyone with a hint of anxiety.  The loud buzzer didn't help either.  -_-

That game is the worst! I hated it so much. To this day, I still can't play it!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2014, 01:40:53 PM »
Like a lot of you guys, sometimes dolls creep me out -- they do kind of stare at you, and some of the antique ones were pretty scary. Antique toys in general scare me -- especially jack-in-the-boxes, clowns, etc. I had (mostly modern) dolls of my own that I didn't mind, though, so not all dolls scared me.

Recently my mom brought home a doll that terrified me, though! I didn't know it was there and walked into the room and there before me was a huge Troll doll with purple hair and staring eyes. Freaked me out! It looks a lot like the one below (completed auction):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-Plush-Troll-Doll-/311018279408?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item486a2251f0&nma=true&si=BcJyDwfNkGwHQXoD8GEOJBKy98A%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

She's been buying up trolls to sell on Ebay lately. None of the little ones have scared me as badly as this one did, though! I kind of feel sorry for the poor little troll doll, being so scary-looking.

Offline Cool.Breeze

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2014, 04:24:29 PM »
This is an awesome topic! I too was afraid of My Buddy dolls on account of Chucky. When I grew older I started to love the Childs Play series and still do, but the dolls still creep me out a little ;^^ porcelain dolls, especially antique ones as many others have said. I just can't do 'em. Cricket terrified the ever loving gravy out of me, those wandering eyes and ill synced mouth were just too much for me and still are. The only new one I can think of to add to the pile is more gross than scary, but Baby Alive kinda repulsed me. A girl brought one in to show and tell after Christmas one time and I had a hard time being impressed by a doll could poop and pee ;P it just didn't seem like a lot of fun to me somehow. Pretty much all dolls except for Lady Lovely Locks and Moon Dreamers freaked me out as a child. Nowadays I collect more dolls than anything else! Funny how times change.

Offline ooizza

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2014, 04:32:38 PM »
This wasn't a doll that I owned thankfully but I was/still am terrified of walking dolls. I was at a friends' house when I was little and she and her sister got this giant doll out and made her walk. I jumped on the bed screaming and that's when she fell over. Her legs kept going and she started to make her way under the bed. My friends were laughing themselves sick while I screamed and cried on the bed. It was a pretty small room so there was no safe place (in my mind). I don't believe I ever played at her house ever again but that may just be because we moved not too long after :) Unfortunately for years I had to leap on and off my bed just in case there was something under it *shudder*

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2014, 07:43:31 PM »
porcalain dolls reborn dolls  and clown dolls scare me silly !!!!

Oh yeah... clown dolls :shocked: :faint:
My Wish List

DemureGirl

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2014, 11:47:02 AM »
Pop-up Pirate.

Yeah, its a game of nerves of steel but I couldn't handle it. Crocodile dentist is a close second!

scrub-adub

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2014, 09:42:45 AM »
When i was one year old one of my uncles bought me a talking cat in the hat doll...
Never the same again
And that's why i am afraid of fursuits

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2014, 09:55:07 AM »
Not toys, but I was terrified by The Cookie Monster, and this swedish kids program that used dummies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfgV9DHJruY

InkyMomo

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2014, 10:06:46 AM »
I went attic diving yesterday and who should pop up but the very toy I made this thread about. Grated he was filthy and in dire need of some TLC.

Creaky and Dozer - Moondreamers toys by InkyMomo, on Flickr

I decided to deflock him and Dozer.

Creaky and Dozer - Moondreamers toys by InkyMomo, on Flickr

He isn't nearly as frightening any more and I'm actually really pleased to see them both. He still doesn't have his sandals. :lol:

-----------------

Interestingly there seems to be two types of toys in this thread. Toys that scared us for some reason or another as children, which is specific to one certain child. And then there are the toys that are just really freaky full stop. Toys that everyone seems to be a little bit wary of.

Furbies still make me a little bit uncomfortable even as an adult. As do baby dolls.

Offline DalaPony

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2014, 01:32:25 PM »
Furbies are soooo creepy :|

I never had any toys that really scared me, but I've never really liked being around porcelain dolls -- the vacant glassy stares and unnaturally pale skin make the back of my neck prickle.  Also clowns. *shudder*

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2014, 06:28:51 PM »
oh god teddy ruxpin mainly cause we had one that the batteries started to die out and wouldn't stop talking D":
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information

thanks to SDS for my sig

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2014, 08:47:31 PM »
Bleeping Furby.
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2014, 07:03:16 AM »
Couch Potatoes by Coleco. I think there's a photograph somewhere of me staring at it in absolute terror, though it also kind of looks like a little girl playing innocently with her toys to an adult. So wrong. My jaw is dropped and my eyes are all bugged out. I had this little kiddy rocking chair and mom used to sit him in it so it would be the first thing I'd see when I stood at the hallway and looked into my room. So guess who slept on the couch for a couple of months? I was too terrified to go in there. :yikes:

When my parents finally figured out the reason why I was afraid of my room, they held a little yard sale and I never saw him again. THANK GOODNESS.

Well, not until about a year ago, when I actually found one still in the box at a yard sale. I thought about picking him up for resale, but nope! I still hate those ugly little things. ABOMINATION. I found a less ugly lady potato at a thrift store that same weekend with curlers and a negligee. I considered it because it was a little cuter, but it's still an ABOMINATION so maybe some kid with a twisted sense of humor is happy with her now instead. ;)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 10:03:46 AM by Rachel-Eyes »

Blushes

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2014, 08:23:10 AM »
Don't be embarrassed! I have a great story, I love sharing it haha

So when I was little, I had this barbie car. It was a remote controlled jeep. Let me see if I can find a picture...
It kind of looked like this, but I remember it being blue, but maybe it was just faded. ->

Anyway, I think the connection between the car and the controller was spotty or something, because it used to move and make noises without me doing anything. Both the car and controller took batteries, so maybe there was a problem there? It used to make this rearing noise and it would do it both during the day and at night. So at night I used to lock the silly thing in my closet, because it would just move around by itself and it would barely listen to my controller. I even took the batteries out of the controller but it would still rev it's tries and it scared me so much I ended up selling the thing at a tag sale because I was so frightened.  :redface:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal