collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Toys that used to scare you as a child  (Read 5504 times)

InkyMomo

• Trade Count: (0)
Toys that used to scare you as a child
« on: August 04, 2014, 01:40:19 PM »
I may be just embarrassing myself here but I figured it could end up being a very interesting discussion.

When I was a kid I use have a Sleep Creeps toy from the Moondreamers - This guy!

I always thought he was kind of cute until my older brother told me that "The reason it wears sandals is so it can creep up to you at night time without you hearing and then watch you sleep." Thanks Tom!

Needless to say I don't think it ever wore it's sandals again. Sadly I no longer have him as I do have fond memories of the Moon Dreamers.

Anyone else have toys that scared them?

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: Toys that used to scare you as a child
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 01:46:25 PM »
LOL You had an evil brother! I can't think of any toys I owned that freaked me out.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 01:52:22 PM »
I had this little figurine in my room as a kid. It wasn't a toy, and it didn't scare me per se.

It was similar to those Precious Moments kind of things, in terms of size (except I think it was a Native American figure?). I didn't like it because it was a figurine of a crying toddler. (Maybe it had broke its toy?) The fact that it looked very upset made me feel very upset likewise, so I didn't like having it around.

I guess I can be too sympathetic to human looking toys. I remember the kids had a doll baby when they were little and I'd feel unhappy whenever I saw the doll laying face down on the floor. Almost made me feel like it was "dead" and I had to put it back on its back so it wouldn't bother me.
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 02:19:17 PM »
That jack in the box thing!!!! It still does to this day!

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 02:21:22 PM »
I saw the photo. I shuddered. Majorly.

Haha, for me, I can't really think of something that really scared me. I wasn't too fussed by anything in particular to be honest as far as I can remember.

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 02:24:33 PM »
When I was probably about 6 years old, one of my cousins got a couple of these.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvfYcZ8GAVM
We called them ugly ball not mad balls but I'm pretty sure it's the same thing.
I was terrified of them. Of course my cousin thought it was hilarious and would chase me around with it.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 02:28:20 PM by Flitter »

Offline UrocyonFox

• Zombie BBE Pony
  • Trade Count: (+142)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Urocyonfox's Artwork
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 02:34:38 PM »
I come from a large family and a crazy grandmother that won some house auction thing where the person had collected Alf dolls. Most were regular stuffed animals but a few were the type that read tapes or would talk and such. Well after visiting grandma she decided that all of us kids would love these Alfs and we (all six of us) brought at least 2 home a piece. They already creeped me out a little and I did not plan on keeping either of the ones I was given. We had them all piled up in the corners of the bedrooms and in the middle of the night one said "Here Kitty Kitty Kitty" Which was terrifying as SNOT to me because Kitty is my name. I think I actually peed the bed I was so terrified. I swore it was alive and refused to sleep in the room. I cried and cried and could not get over it. My brother showed me the back where the hair Velcro-ed to it and where the tape went. He tried to convince me it was not after me but I was convince since it had called out my name.

It was not until later (maybe 4 years) when I caught the show on TV that I learned he was a character in a sitcom (we grew up without a TV for a long time in the house) and it blew my mind that this was a character people liked! I had always thought he was just some demon my grandmother had rid herself of by casting him to our house. I also learned even later than that, that Alf ATE cats in the show! WTF!? Thinking about it now still gives me the creeps because my brain tells me "No he was calling you to eat YOU!" *shudder* I still to this day can't look at Alf without feeling my neck get hot and my stomach clench a little.

hotgluerifle

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 02:39:36 PM »
furbies used to freak me out, like the 80s ones?. Recently tho i got one cause theyre pretty cute despite also being terrifying and my dad asked me if I wanted to try to turn it on. I told him no way, it's creepy enough as it is. I also don't really want to close it's eyes overnight cause I'm scared in the morning the eyes will be open :0
I call her Hellwitch Deathqueen.

Offline MilkyTaroMochi

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Ivy is best pony. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 03:53:45 PM »
Would Operation count? You couldn't even get me in the same room as that dang game because of that loud buzzer. xD:
Also developed a fear of those My Buddy dolls after being semi-forced to watch Child's Play one day.

And slightly OT but: The 90's movie "Small Soldiers" made me so scared of my Barbie dolls, that I refused to touch them for over a month. xD
Thank you so much for the adoptable, Corona! :D

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 04:12:04 PM »
Mine was the talking Cricket doll. This thing came out the year I was born, and being my grandpa (bless his hear) thought a baby would love this thing. xD

Now My parents claim that I was afraid of it since day one, I however dont believe that I actually held onto any such memories, because they also mentioned that the thing fell over on me and thats probably why I was crying (this doll weighs a ton). I didnt develop a true fear of her until I was old enough to understand how to work the thing. Like UrocyonFox's ALF dolls, it had a velcro panel in the back that you could open and put in special tapes and she would talk, her lips and eyes would move.. CREEPY! On top of that she has big round eyes, so even when shes not actually moving, you kinda get the sense that shes watching you.

It didnt help also that even as a child Iv been kinda into horror movies,(despite my parents best efforts to keep me shielded) I dont even know why because they would always scare me to death and id make my sister sleep with me for weeks after xD. But movies like Dolls and Chucky really kinda brought her to life in my mind. Needless to say, I quickly avoided horror movies involving toys that come to life with murderous intent, and stick to mostly zombie/vampire films now. xD
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 04:45:15 PM »
I always thought he was kind of cute until my older brother told me that "The reason it wears sandals is so it can creep up to you at night time without you hearing and then watch you sleep." Thanks Tom!

LOL isn't that the exact opposite reason for why he wore them? To make creaky noises to wake up children and scare them?

As for me, apparently, I was terrified of Teddy Ruxpin. I don't remember ever even having him, but my mom tells me they got it for me one Christmas and I liked it until they turned it on. Then I apparently froze, stared at it, and slowly backed away XD  Needless to say, he got returned.

Looking at everyone's posts, I guess talking dolls are the scariest so far!

squishy turdl

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 05:17:32 PM »
Milky : I was not a fan of operation either.. no no no.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 05:40:53 PM »
Not toys... oh no I was terrified of things like grandfather clocks!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline apanda0622

• Trade Count: (+177)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 05:48:49 PM »
I read The Dollhouse Murders by Betty Ten Wright and I was terrified my barbie dolls wpuld come alivevwhile I slept so I used to put them away at night lol. Also I was afraid of my porcelain dolls. And Teddy Ruxpin. He actually moved his eyes and mouth with no tape or batteries in him. That really freaked me out and so my mom had him down in her closet for a long time until we finally got rid of him a few years ago.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 05:50:45 PM »
I read The Dollhouse Murders by Betty Ten Wright and I was terrified my barbie dolls wpuld come alivevwhile I slept so I used to put them away at night lol. Also I was afraid of my porcelain dolls. And Teddy Ruxpin. He actually moved his eyes and mouth with no tape or batteries in him. That really freaked me out and so my mom had him down in her closet for a long time until we finally got rid of him a few years ago.

Oh my gosh! I loved that book when I was little!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal