collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: what are your collecting idiosyncrasies?  (Read 1551 times)

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
what are your collecting idiosyncrasies?
« on: June 01, 2016, 08:35:07 AM »
We already know that most of us have a preferred generation, and even favorite sets within that generation, and preferred conditions.

But what are your other collecting idiosyncrasies? such as:

- only collect ponies of a certain color
- only collect ponies with a certain type of symbol (food, for example)
- only collect ponies with freckles
- only collect a specific pose

stuff like that :)

Me, I'm not so specific. I collect mostly G1s, some G3s, and adopt any stray ponies I find at flea markets or thrift shops.

Offline pickwick_pirate

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: what are your collecting idiosyncrasies?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 10:16:22 AM »
I always used to be 100% about the boys. And i still love boys, and im gutted that the g4 line has not embraced their great range of male characters the way they could have done.

Also, pink and yellow. I love pink and yellow ponies in any combo or shade. Which is odd seeing as they are two colours I am not a fan of.

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 10:28:14 AM »
I'm not too specific. I knew for G1s I wanted all of the Rainbow Ponies and any space/star themed ponies. I sorta stuck to that, but ended up getting into the TAFs because of Nightglider. :lol:

For G3s, I was only going to collect ponies with "rainbow" in their names, as well as space/star themed ones, but I quickly abandoned that and just ended up buying ones that I really liked, regardless of their names or symbols. I fell in love with G3 all too quickly.

For G4 I'm not specific at all. I collect almost every and anything from this generation, because it's what got me into MLP in the first place. I love them all!

I'm thinking of getting into G2 eventually, and I'll probably have a much more specific criteria for collecting those.
Instagram / Want List

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 10:31:42 AM »
Hmm I guess my tastes change pretty frequently. For awhile I was collecting any pony that kind of caught my eye...but I live in a city in a small apt so I only have so much room. Then I decided to focus on Bowtie for my army, Flutters or all kinds, and ponies that I just really love the color/design of.
But every few weeks I will look over my ponies and prune my collection. If I don't feel strongly that I really like one I will sell it. I just don't have the room, although I would love to keep them all!

Offline Baby Crumpet

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Never too many Tex's!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 11:27:15 AM »
Without noticing it, my G1 trend seems to be soft colours. There are some more vibrant ponies, sure - bowtie and sorbet surprise spring to mind - but for the most part, ponies I've set out to buy myself are always softer colours.

In G3, I prefer pegasi, but I seem to have a slightly alarming amount of pink ponies.

G4, I buy anything that isn't mane six!

:glitter: Thank you to Nence and starrynights for my signature and Trinity for my avatar :glitter:
Wishlist

Offline Jorgito93

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 11:28:59 AM »
Well except for my loving for white ponies, i don't have specific rules about what i buy.I mostly buy anything i can grab for a good price.

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 11:54:05 AM »
I have a major weakness for wingers (they're too cute!) and ponies with moon, star and/or ocean-themed symbols. I also love purple ponies, especially if they're a darker shade. :heart:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 12:09:12 PM »
G1 ponies ;)

But I guess my idiosyncrasy is probably more related to other ponyish stuff. I have a G1 backcard obsession ;) I think I counted over 250 in my collection so far last time I checked.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 03:05:13 PM »
I have started a few armies which I swore I wouldn't have. Other than that  I love yellow ponies with pink (the easily fading type). They are so pretty!

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 03:24:31 PM »
I collect G1s and G3s and I have a set of criteria that I look for that a pony must meet before I add them to my herd:

• For G1s, no white ponies
  • No ponies with tinsel. (I have ~70 ponies and there are only 2 exceptions to this)
  • No 3D Symbols
  • I don't collect Wingers, Sea Ponies, Baby Ponies, So Softs, or Pony Friends
  • No duplicates, even if the ponies are in different poses.

Ponies I'm partial to: Twinkle Eyes, Big Brothers, Sweetberry ponies, European exclusive sets, Magic Message ponies, G3 seasonal/holiday ponies, and G3 Jewel ponies

« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 09:45:12 PM by northstar3184 »

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 05:44:31 PM »
I'm partial to:

blue ponies
ponies with unfaded pink hair
Posey/walking pose
Boys
Scented ponies
Newborn twins

I do own other ponies besides these but these are the ones I'm drawn towards.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 05:51:17 PM »
I have to have more unicorns then any other species

I hafta have a number of species I can divide by easily, I don't know why.

I hafta have at least ten of almost every color, orange is the exception because I can't find that many orange ponies to like.

When a species has 3-6 poses, I hafta have at least one in each pose, Wingers, adult sea ponies and boys are exceptions because they're expensive.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 06:09:44 PM »
I don't know if it counts, but I almost never buy new ponies at full retail price, only when they're on sale. This is also why I rarely get blind bags anymore.

I will also buy pretty much anything Pinkie Pie, or Celestia, or Cadance.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2016, 06:53:38 PM »
In G1 I  like to have:
- All UK releases, but I have German or Dutch versions of a couple if prettier
- USA releases of prominent characters mentioned in comics 1 to 30 if no UK version exists
- Ideally the same number of each species. I make up the numbers of Unicorns and Pegasus with USA releases including de-flocked ponies
- I avoid many of the gimmicks but i have two from each of the following sets: Glow n Show, Sparkle, Merry-Go-Round, Perfume Puff
- I'm not a fan of the Mimic pose so I don't have any ponies in that pose
- I'm generally not into complete sets beyond Y3 but I don't like having just one from a particular set either
- My ponies need to fit into my head canon. I need to do drastic things like de flocking to finish my head canon!
- If a particular pony character has consistent problems with plastic condition I often just give up completely or customise the one i have got for keeps. I recently gave up on US Confetti and several of my TEs and sold them because I didn't enjoy them anymore. I just kept checking for cancer and I won't go out of my way to replace them. However I recently rescued very poorly Sweet Stuff and Sprinkles by painting designs over the spots and I'm really pleased with the results so I'll keep them.
- I like to avoid really pricey ponies although they have all crept up. I like to play with them so if I get one that's too rare or in rare condition I'll sell to a different kind of collector to appreciate.

Ooh another one! I don't generally prefer babies that are identical to parents! I love when they have variations, like fading pink hair or I might have mismatching releases to get the variation.

For G3s
again I avoid gimmicks including Super Long Hair.  I just picked a large selection of ponies I happen to think are pretty.  I don't attach them to a ponyverse or even their accessories or playsets although I am building a up a selection. I just think  of them as pretty figures to enjoy each in their own right.  I like that the colour combinations are more adventurous so tend to be attracted to those.

For G4 I tried to collect the mane 6 and every non-mane 6 brushable, plus some MIP doubles from the different TAF type lines and the water cuties.  For some reason I do like gimmicks in G4 and have collected many versions of Pinkie Pie with different gimmicks.  So I've ended up with almost everyone I want plus a Pinkie Pie army and some extras that I've kept in packets for display.  I do regret not buying some of the pink ones I passed on because I thought the colours were boring i.e. Cupcake, Flitterheart and Plumsweet.  I got the smaller castle but I'm not huge on G4 playsets so I think I'll leave it at that.

So many idiosyncrasies! The great thing about having so many idiosyncrasies is that I have a smaller collectionthat is more manageable for me.  Maybe all these idiosyncrasies are just me talking myself out of having more ponies  ^.^
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 02:17:48 PM by Artemesia Floc »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2016, 10:57:24 PM »
I think my big things would be Euro ponies and matching moms and babies. For example I love all the TAF babies and need to collect them all to go with their mommy counterparts. So even though they aren't officially mom and baby sets I still see them as moms and babies and need to get them all. Same with ponies like Gusty, Buttons and Tic Tac Toe etc. I can't wait to get my basement developed so I can set up my pony room and display them all together.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal