collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: what are your collecting idiosyncrasies?  (Read 1554 times)

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: what are your collecting idiosyncrasies?
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2016, 11:59:16 PM »
I love the posey pose, so I'm always looking for all the ponies in that pose!!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2016, 07:36:56 AM »
I have alot of ponies in my collection but I want to collect all ponies in Surprise's pose. I have a small army of Surprise that I like collecting too. I still have ponies to grab from other countries that are Surprise.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2016, 07:43:53 AM »
I've never been overly specific with my collecting. I pick up whatever interests me really. The only thing is that with G1s, I really like baity ponies. Especially tailless ones and haircuts!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Shimmer Mist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Also likes transforming plastic robots
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2016, 11:05:25 AM »
Vivid colors or stark color combinations
Glittery ponies/sparkle ponies
Tinsel in the hair
G3 ponies in the flirtier-looking poses such as the Diva
Unicorns

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2016, 12:41:56 PM »
I love the collector's pose and so have quite a few of them.  I also tend to hold on to the earliest gen 1 (year 1-4).   After that it's one of each kind of pose or type.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline LordBlumiere

• keykid in a police box
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • doctor heart stealer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2016, 06:45:08 PM »
Oh lordy, I'm not specific at all. However, when I'm buying older generations, I really prefer to snap a whole bunch up at once and deal with their varying conditions rather than slowly buy one pony at a time. Not sure what that says about me.

they/them, he/him, xie/xir/xirs
grail: princess silver swirl (original)

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2016, 07:14:39 AM »
i only collect g1 but  with the BBE ones and the so softs  i will only have the ones without a normal counterpart e.g.  skipity do, hipity hop,baby shady,baby sleepy pie etc but i have got dupes and a wite tootsy  and alternate symbol kiss curl

Offline Crystal-Sushi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Consistently broke :0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2016, 11:48:35 PM »
I prefer G1s and G2s, and mostly buy them in lots as I like looking at each pony as a fun 'project' to fix up - and you also get some surprises! I also buy them in worse shape as they're cheaper....
I finally found my grail! :heart:

Offline Jorgito93

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2016, 03:05:34 PM »
I collect G1s and G3s and I have a set of criteria that I look for that a pony must meet before I add them to my herd:

• For G1s, no white ponies
  • No ponies with tinsel. (I have ~70 ponies and there are only 2 exceptions to this)
  • No 3D Symbols
  • I don't collect Wingers, Sea Ponies, Baby Ponies, So Softs, or Pony Friends
  • No duplicates, even if the ponies are in different poses.
Ponies I'm partial to: Twinkle Eyes, Big Brothers, Sweetberry ponies, European exclusive sets, Magic Message ponies, G3 seasonal/holiday ponies, and G3 Jewel ponies
Wow.Your first three points basically describe princess tiffany, and she's one of my favorite ponies.I don't say it in a bad way, i just think it's funny how we all like different things when it comes to ponies.

Offline Saphraira

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Shoo be doo
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2016, 03:12:05 PM »
Sea ponies and anything Celestia.

Anyone who needs TLC catches my eye too though i don't usually keep em once they're fixed.
Looking for Surprise twins mommy

Offline Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2016, 12:04:28 AM »
I collect everything pony except the regular size Equestria Girls dolls and ahhh... human clothing. 
 A few of each have slipped in, but I don't go out of my way for them.   :whistle:

Offline Motion-Paradox

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2016, 12:13:11 AM »
Let's See....

G1:
Well one of the big ones is that I'm more of a character based collector, in short many of the Ponies I'm interested in are because of the show and movie or because of a work they connect to (For example I probably wouldn't have been especially interested in Sparkler since she's barely in the one special she appeared in, but I ended up getting her because she was one of the inspirations for G4 Rarity. Similarly there's one of the newborn twin sets that I have because of a story where they're Button's daughters)

Generally I try to have a version without extra features so everything matches, such as my having non-so soft Wind Whistler & Magic Star. There are some that I'd be willing to have an extra feature version of as well, such as so soft ponies, and some I wouldn't be willing to, such as beddy bye eyes (Baby Lofty is going to be an absolute wicked witch to get)

I want to collect the Sea Ponies when their price decreases, but the translucent winged Ponies were a higher priority (I managed to get a complete collection of Flutter Ponies, Summer Wing Ponies, and Windy Wing Ponies in my first summer of collecting since I prioritized them)

Despite that there are a few I have only the alternate version of or even though they had little to no screen time, namely I decided to get the Pearlised Babies set after seeing the ones my friend had as a child and all of the Flat Foot ones (I have most of them now, including Peachy)

I try to get the harder/pricier ones out of the way first before I try to get the rest of a set (i.e. the aforementioned flat foot ponies where I decided to try and get Peachy to determine whether I would buy the others)

I also don't really care that much about poses

G2: I'm trying to get everything from the first two years (between what I've bought as an adult and my childhood collection I'm nearly there)

I have a complete set of Unicorns and want to have one of each translucent-winged pony (Again, mostly there). After that I've mostly been cherry picking, but I especially like small sets that only have a few ponies in them.

One thing that's unusual is I'm more comfortable getting playsets, which is surprising because I don't normally buy them (perhaps because this is the generation I had playsets for as a child?) and I care more about getting the accessories.

G3 & Such: I don't collect these ones at all, yes I know they're similar to G1s but there is something among the differences that prevents it from appealing to me the way G1 does, I did try to get into collecting the Breezies though

G4: This one is fairly broad and there are quite a few things I collect, including the brushables, funko figures, blind bags, trading cards, and build a bear & 4DE plush toys

But to focus on the brushables I like to have at least one of every pony released, one left in box (unless the only way to get it is loose, such as with the Canterlot Midnight & School Friends sets where there were only one or two new Ponies) and a loose version if the character has been on screen (though I really need a Celestia & Spike, I've been meaning to get ones of them for ages now).

I'll buy special costumed versions such as the Power Ponies set or really special versions such as the glittery ones coming out soon, I also but the Comic Con ones (this isn't nearly as expensive as it sounds, there's one convention I go to where I can get them for the retail price)

I also sort of collect the Equestria Girls dolls; I have the Mane 6 and the Dazzlings, I'm a bit torn about getting the Shadow Bolts (there's 5 of them) and Sunset Shimmer (I want one of her, but they never make her plastic the right colour, even though her Pony toys are perfect) and I have the Mane 6 in Equestria Girls Minis

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2016, 08:24:06 AM »
Generally it's been any and every pony, but lately I've been getting more selective (and starting to clear out a few). I like to have individual/unique characters - which for G1 and G3 means pretty much every pony :P . G4s I'm starting to get only those that are new characters or ones that I really like, not just because they are new and I don't have them. Blind Bags I only get a couple select characters when they come out.

I like the ones with different sizes - super tiny or big / fashion style. And of course the specials like fair exclusives. Overall I stick to ponies, clothing for me, and very select merchandise if it catches my eye. The only plushies I've gotten recently are BABW ones. Oh and comics!
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline halicabi

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2016, 12:56:46 PM »
I collect ponies with hair and accessory color variations. Although I've had to draw the line at the big playsets (not enough space, and too expensive).  For those, photos have to do.

I'll use G4's as an example, but this occurred with G3's as well:

They have since been opened.  I don't have the space to display them all, let alone all in box!

halicabi

Avatar and Sig drawn by my 5 year-old daughter (at age 4).  Aren't they adorable????
**My how time flies, she's now 20 and in College!!! I need a new drawing**

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2016, 08:23:00 PM »
Ocean theme!

I collect Tropical theme, Ocean theme, anything to do with the ocean. Weather they are sea ponies, or big brother ponies, summer wing ponies, sunshine ponies..ect..

When I very first started collecting ponies I went with food theme and sweets lots.

Don't get me wrong I still do. I just focus on ocean themes beacuse i end up collecting ponies during the summer more than any other month so I am in the mood to see summer stuff anyway.

But if I'm not collecting ocean theme ponies than I just go with the's

Big Brother
Sea Ponies
Baby animal
Pony pals
Mermaid ponies
Soda sippin
Twise as fancy
Sunshine
Summer wing
Flutter

However when I was a kid I would have liked any and all the ponies from shows and movies much like ' motion paradox '
I would have owned any main character on packaging and what ever pony got popular on merchandise. I was into main characters.
So if I was allowed to buy used ponies..I would have had all any any from the cartoon.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 08:34:57 PM by LightingElectricDream »
:accomplished:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal