collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Jem discussion thread!  (Read 3205 times)

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: The Jem discussion thread!
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2016, 05:29:34 PM »
Yeah- I really liked the first theme song better than the later one...

I believe they based Riot, Minx and Rapture on Prince and his two dancers ...

I had always thought Jerrica hiding Jem's identity from Rio was ridiculous.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2016, 06:07:32 PM »
Yeah- I really liked the first theme song better than the later one...

I believe they based Riot, Minx and Rapture on Prince and his two dancers ...

I had always thought Jerrica hiding Jem's identity from Rio was ridiculous.

I thought they based Riot off every blonde, big haired glam rocker ever. lol
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2016, 11:41:31 AM »
I like the Truly Outrageous theme song better  than the Jem Girl one also.  The episodes with the Stingers aren't my favorites although I do like the one with Minx trying to be nice to everyone after Rio saved her.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2016, 11:46:55 AM »
I like the Truly Outrageous theme song better  than the Jem Girl one also.  The episodes with the Stingers aren't my favorites although I do like the one with Minx trying to be nice to everyone after Rio saved her.

Ponyfan

Me too. Jem is better then Jem girls

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2016, 03:10:34 PM »
I love the 1st song. I want to be Jem for Halloween. I need to plan it ahead though. I wish I could dye my hair Jem pink but my job doesn't allow it.

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2016, 07:56:07 PM »
Being Jem for Halloween sounds like fun. :)  Doe anyone else have this kit and earring set?

Ponyfan

Offline mlly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2016, 04:50:52 AM »
I'm fine with both theme songs tbh.

It's absolutely impossible but I do wish Jem would go back to being playline/a kids' brand again.
Integrity Toys are waaay out of my budget (not to mention I don't care for some of the headmolds and stylistic decisions they chose for certain characters) and finding the Hasbro dolls I want in decent prices + decent condition is not easy, most especially since I don't live in the US.

I recently just read the IDW comic on a whim and it's just OK I guess. I understand making the characterization and plot more down-to-earth for a new audience, but I feel it would've been much better if it also incorporated the goofy/ott situations and campiness the original cartoon had.
I will still keep an eye out for the upcoming issues though as they will finally introduce The Stingers and also Raya. I'm also interested to see what they will do with Video, Regine, Astral, and Graphix.

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2016, 07:41:32 AM »
Being Jem for Halloween sounds like fun. :)  Doe anyone else have this kit and earring set?

Ponyfan

No! Cool! Picture of the earrings?

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Dragonflitter

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2016, 08:14:55 AM »
I saw the box at BnN when I went to buy the tiny Glory pony-in-a-box (lol), but I didn't have enough to buy the earrings. I'm very curious about what they look like, too.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2016, 09:06:26 AM »
I remember seeing Jem and Synergy costumes at an overpriced halloween store one year

Offline Dragonflitter

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2016, 05:34:39 PM »
I remember seeing Jem and Synergy costumes at an overpriced halloween store one year

That company also made an awesome Pizzaz costume too. Very helpful for us cosplayers who aren't so skilled with the sewing machine, since her outfit in the show is so complicated!

Post Merge: June 26, 2016, 05:46:40 PM

I recently just read the IDW comic on a whim and it's just OK I guess. I understand making the characterization and plot more down-to-earth for a new audience, but I feel it would've been much better if it also incorporated the goofy/ott situations and campiness the original cartoon had.
I will still keep an eye out for the upcoming issues though as they will finally introduce The Stingers and also Raya. I'm also interested to see what they will do with Video, Regine, Astral, and Graphix.

Aww, sorry to hear you're not enamored with the comic! I think it's absolutely amazing. I love the Kimber/Stormer relationship, now that was a surprise! And the designs of the girls are refreshing, not all being Barbie-like, tall and thin. I love that even though Pizzazz is a total spazz, she still does some things that make her endearing to her bandmates (and the readers!). The storyline where she got in a car accident and how it effects her band is just heartwrenching. I also love the Dark Jem storyline where Jem's band turns "evil" because of a virus in Synergy's programming! XD Come on, you think that's not campy? Also Sophie Campbell is my favorite comic book artist of all time, and I totally flipped out when I heard she got to draw the Jem comic, back last year when they first revealed there was going to be one. Her use of round shapes and bright colors is totally spot-on for a modern Jem series. But to each their own. :) I know it's not perfect, but I think it's one of the best comic books for female readers on the shelves today.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 05:46:40 PM by Dragonflitter »

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2016, 11:03:16 AM »

That company also made an awesome Pizzaz costume too. Very helpful for us cosplayers who aren't so skilled with the sewing machine, since her outfit in the show is so complicated!

Post Merge: June 26, 2016, 05:46:40 PM

Aww, sorry to hear you're not enamored with the comic! I think it's absolutely amazing. I love the Kimber/Stormer relationship, now that was a surprise! And the designs of the girls are refreshing, not all being Barbie-like, tall and thin. I love that even though Pizzazz is a total spazz, she still does some things that make her endearing to her bandmates (and the readers!). The storyline where she got in a car accident and how it effects her band is just heartwrenching. I also love the Dark Jem storyline where Jem's band turns "evil" because of a virus in Synergy's programming! XD Come on, you think that's not campy? Also Sophie Campbell is my favorite comic book artist of all time, and I totally flipped out when I heard she got to draw the Jem comic, back last year when they first revealed there was going to be one. Her use of round shapes and bright colors is totally spot-on for a modern Jem series. But to each their own. :) I know it's not perfect, but I think it's one of the best comic books for female readers on the shelves today.

I will admit I LOVE the comic too-  so much.  If I need the old story, I can always watch the series on Netflix.  I love the modernized story, especially with all the different shapes and sizes of the main characters, and the modernized relationship.  I think what I love least about the original Jem storyline is Jem and Kimber's relationships and how they handle them...

Offline Agent X

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
  • "Come son of Jor-El...KNEEL BEFORE ZIM!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2016, 08:12:30 AM »
I saw a Jem Complete Series box set yesterday and the back made no mention of any special features; to be more accurate, I didn't see a special call-out reguarding Special Features as I didn't read the back. Did they re-release the series without the features (specifically the toy commericals)?

I've been meaning to get the set with the commericals as they (along with other Marvel/Sunbow Productions in Asscoication with Hasbro i.e. Transformers and G.I. Joe) includedorginal animation.
ACNL town: Woglinde DA: 4B00-0010-472B
"Half my heart in in Equestria. The other half is on Cybertron. I am so doomed."

Offline Dragonflitter

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2016, 10:03:19 AM »
I saw a Jem Complete Series box set yesterday and the back made no mention of any special features; to be more accurate, I didn't see a special call-out reguarding Special Features as I didn't read the back. Did they re-release the series without the features (specifically the toy commericals)?

I've been meaning to get the set with the commericals as they (along with other Marvel/Sunbow Productions in Asscoication with Hasbro i.e. Transformers and G.I. Joe) includedorginal animation.

Hmm I just took a look on Amazon and yeah, it seems like the newest box set release includes all episodes from all three seasons, but no special features at all. A couple reviewers mention this. The release date looks to be 2015. Maybe they were rushing to get a new set out to cash in on the movie.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2016, 01:15:29 PM »

Yes. According to Shout Factory whether or not you get the special features included depends on how many  DVDs are in included in your set.  If you get the 11 DVDs you get the bonus features and if you get the 8 DVDs set you don't. Here is a pic of my 11 DVD set.  I hope it helps.

Edit: I will be taking a pic of my Jemstar earrings soon.

Ponyfan

« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 01:19:16 PM by Ponyfan »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal