collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why is Generation 1 My Little Pony So Hated?  (Read 6043 times)

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Why is Generation 1 My Little Pony So Hated?
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2016, 01:32:33 PM »
I know that nobody hates generation 1 on this site and I know there is still a lot of fans, but it is true the bronies are the haters of it and it does not bother me at all if people dislike the show I was just curious which is why I posted this topic due to I have seen a lot of bronies and other people watch the older my little pony and completely hated it so it sparked my curiosity on why when all the ponies from generation 4 are nothing more then generation 1,2 and 3 ponies just in a different style and personality that's all I am sorry if this topic made anybody angry or anything like that.

None of the ones I know hate G1, most are indifferent, but some like it. G3 is the one that gets a more negative reaction from bronies, because it's kind of dull in comparison to the other genereations.

Offline chaosprincess

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2016, 01:41:22 PM »
I am not saying everybody hates it and I am sure there is some bronies and pegasisters that adore generation 1 so sorry for the way I worded it and I do understand that people still like generation 1, but with my own experience I have met more people who have a dislike for the older generations, generation 1, being the one they dislike the most and I know generation 3 is disliked as well, but my little pony tales which is generation 1 is not very liked either.

Offline Big_Brother_Bufftusk

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2016, 01:41:38 PM »
I don't really understand why anyone would waste the energy hating on something like this, so I can't speak as to why anyone would dislike it. I will say that, as a person who grew up in G1, I can appreciate the hand-drawn animation and better quality product though...no, it wasn't perfect, there are flaws here and there. It was hand crafted, and people aren't perfect, so the cartoon wasn't perfect, and at times even the toyline wasn't. There weren't computers to do all the work of that stuff, I mean, there were, they just weren't as sophisticated yet.

I may be a bit biased admittedly, I don't get the appeal of the G4 look, it just looks so lazy, and cheap, and the product isn't much better...lacking imagination and variety. But it sells so *shrugs* whatever, toymakers know something I don't, apathy sells I guess! *lol*

I don't hate G4 though, I just generally ignore it much as I can manage.

as one person above mentioned, G3 seems to get more dislike...which I don't get either, I pretty much enjoyed that line thoroughly, least until they ended it with the humdrum 'core 7' nonsense :/ but what can you do.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 01:45:45 PM by Big_Brother_Bufftusk »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline chaosprincess

• Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2016, 01:46:00 PM »
I agree with you if a toy sells that's what their going to design I only made this topic due to my own curiosity I like each generation for their own uniqueness each generation brings something new and refreshing except generation 3.5 they are just scary lol, but I did not make this topic to offend anybody I just was curious the toys are what make up the shows to be honest and all together my pretty pony was where it all began even if it did have creepy eyes so with my pretty pony started the line of my little pony I enjoy the toys more then the shows, but I am a fan of my little pony tales which that seems to get less love I do understand its a show about normal pony life, but its kind of dark when you think about it, but everybody will have their own opinions when it comes down to it.

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2016, 01:52:41 PM »
Before I found this forum, when I was mostly hanging around brony boards, it seemed that most people were thinking of mlp as a cartoon first, toyline second, and there was an overwhelming dislike of the G1 cartoon. The argument I heard the most was that G1s look like pigs, or that the writing was too obviously aimed at children (whereas G4 isn't..?).
I really can't tell if this has actually died down, or if I just don't pay attention to that side of the fandom :P

Offline Tracks

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2016, 01:57:49 PM »
I love the G1s best but I can see the "debate" over the quality of the images on tv. 

Obviously the G1s were 80s when technology wasn't what it is today so in that yes I would agree that the more recent ones have the better image/graphics on tv.

Offline chaosprincess

• Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2016, 02:33:50 PM »
The toys are better then the show to me I enjoy collecting them even the generation 4 toys, but I love the design for generation 2 they look like little Arabian horses which Arabian horses are my favorite horses, but the toys will always be better then the show, but a show made in the 80's people have to remember everything was hand drawn due to animation was not as big as it is today, but it was still a beautiful show none the less and the characters were so memorable even if the show was just a marketing tactic for their toys to be honest all the my little pony shows is just a marketing tactic the toys is what makes it in my opinion. 

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2016, 03:46:09 PM »
The big disconnect between the fans who only like FIM and the general  MLP collecting community is that FIM fans are all about the show, and collectors are all about the toys.  FIM fans tend to focus on the shows, and judge every generation by their shows, not anything else.  The toys aren't the focus - they're merchandise there to support the love of the show like tshirts or posters.  That's why "screen accurate hair" seems to be such a big thing - they want the ponies to be *as* close to what they see on the tv as possible.   It's not about the toys on their own, it's about how the toys support the show fandom.

Collectors may or may not like the shows. They may or may not have even seen them.  Their primary focus is on the toys.  For myself, the show is just a glorified toy commercial.  It was made to sell toys, and it doesn't factor in to how I feel about the generation as whole.  Even if the shows are terrible, it doesn't affect the ponies.  I can think the G3 cartoons are cringe-worthy with stupid plots and terrible musical numbers, but I can still love the ponies for what they are - really great toys.  Hating the toys because of the show would be as silly to me as hating them because I thought the commercials for it were bad. 

Since FIM fans are most interested in the show, and many consider the ponies to be just "merchandise" instead of the focus of the whole thing, they tend to judge an entire generation on the quality of the show attached to it more than anything else.  MLP was an 80s cartoon with all the flaws that come with it, so it's not surprising that they'll hate the entire generation.   It's not about the toys so much as the show, and the show can come up wanting at times.  Most 80s cartoons were cheaply made to sell toys, and sometimes it shows.

And that's where all the past generation hate starts -  the cartoons.  It then snowballs from there as more people join in, and find new things to complain about.

Amen!! I agree with this 100%! Well said friend!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2016, 03:49:09 PM »
I watched the original My Little Pony special/Rescue at Midnight castle almost every time I went to my grandparents house and also watched My Little Pony sometimes when the shows were re-run on the Disney Channel and also My Little Pony Tales.

The My Little Pony and Friends/series was mainly just to help sell toys but I think it holds up okay for the most part when compared with other toy based 80's cartoons (except Jem. Jem was one of the best 80's cartoons in my opinion)

That being said everyone has their own favorite/least favorite episodes and errors. One error that really gets to me is when the ponies are shown trapped on their backs at the end of one episode but when the next episode starts they are still trapped but in different positions. I still enjoy watching  my favorite  episodes even with the errors. (Jem was also full of errors) 

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline chaosprincess

• Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2016, 05:37:23 PM »
To be honest that's what makes the shows worth watching sometimes its fun to spot the errors and have a little laugh about it its sad that a lot of old shows are now gone, but Nickelodeon has brought back a lot of old cartoons which made me really happy its nice re watching old cartoons for nostalgia brings back memories, but I do miss Disney Afternoon its not my little pony, but it had a lot of great shows.

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2016, 05:42:19 PM »
They're probably mostly just coming from immature teenaged bronies. They aim to separate themselves from the older 'girlier' stuff and claim that the new stuff is cooler and worthy of boys liking.

But here, I think most of us are g1 fans. You'd probably be better off asking somewhere where g4 fans are the majority, lol.

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

RainbowQuartz

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2016, 05:47:09 PM »
They're probably mostly just coming from immature teenaged bronies. They aim to separate themselves from the older 'girlier' stuff and claim that the new stuff is cooler and worthy of boys liking.

But here, I think most of us are g1 fans. You'd probably be better off asking somewhere where g4 fans are the majority, lol.

I wish I could "like" this reply!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2016, 05:52:43 PM »
Yeahhhhhh I have to say it really has always been about how one answered the question,

"Do you see MLP more appealing as the TV show you watch on cable with all your friends, on your couch, with the other animated shows in the line-up this season?"

OR

"Do you see MLP more appealing as the Toys that you may/may not have played with as a child, that have an aesthetic that you appreciate (you LIKE to LOOK at it, it fits one's definition of beauty), and hold appreciation for the craftsmanship to create and design them?" 

Yes there was a TV show for G1, including Tales, but it was a glorious commercial to sell the Toys.  That was pretty much standard for ALL 80's cartoons though!  They didn't even have "seasons" for these shows, really, just periods of time that coincided *wink wink * with when you would see the matching New Toys on the shelf. 
Rainbow Brite? Check.  Care Bears? Check.  Lady Lovely Locks.  Check.  He-man/She-Ra.  Check.  Smurfs.  Check.  MLP.  Check.  G.I.Joe. Check.  Transformers.  Check.  Jem. Check.  Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  Check.

Nearly ALL of us who grew up with G1 actually HAD ponies in Toy format, but definitely not all of us watched the cartoon! 

And compared to today's animation quality and standards?  Well!  *coughs*  I challenge any of those critical fans of G1 to get out a pencil, some ink, a pen, and show me how it's all made, please.  ;)  I imagine it won't look like smooth vector art, LOL 

Whatever's on cable these days as "adult animated entertainment", the young masses watch it. For them it's an awkward experience to share with all ages, because "adult animated entertainment" used to be things like Family Guy, South Park, Robot Chicken, the anime line-up on Adult Swim...  Things were the same for Powerpuff Girls fandom-wise when it all first started, to be honest.  Anime started to become a genre unto its own that wasn't immediately equated with some explicitly graphic "adult animated entertainment of the adult nature" *wink *wink*    Now it's a mainstream genre that pretty much everyone watches some form of. 

And mainstream culture like to criticize things as a general form of entertainment.  So that's that. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2016, 05:53:19 PM »
I LOVE G1 and have since it first appeared.

However, before G4, most of the general public considered my little pony to be not only girly, but the ultimate girly toy and show.  It was for little girls and it got a lot of jabs and eyerolls because of it.   I remember putting up with it as I got older.  My Little Pony was not cool.  There were jokes about it on TV and general media.  Not constantly, but they happened often enough.

Come the Brony fandom and the first thing many wanted to do was disassociate themselves from that because they really didn't want to be seen liking something "girly".   The more insecure Bronies tend to not only ignore but publicly dis the older My Little Ponies hoping people outside the fandom will see that they really aren't girly after all.  It just seems... cowardly to me for some to go that route.  G4 is about as girly as G1 ever was.  Flowers, butterflies, rainbows, fluffy bunnies and adventure.  It's all there and it's not changing the general public's mind.  There is nothing bad about being a girl or liking girly things and I wish they'd actually understand that was the original message of G4.

But I'm glad to hear that's it's changing.  I think there is a lot to appreciate in all the generations.  It's a fun concept.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 06:54:15 PM by brightberry »
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline chaosprincess

• Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2016, 05:55:16 PM »
Once again I made this topic because I was curious I already know that everybody on this website is a generation 1 fan, but I thought I would get other peoples opinions on why they think people don't like generation 1 I didn't start it for people to be rude I think its a discussion people can have especially the generation 1 fans due to the my little pony community is separated by fandom you have the generation 4 lovers, the all generation lovers and the just love one generation so to me its an interesting topic especially since the community is so big so sorry if I offended anybody by making this topic I am not trying to be rude, but please I already know everybody on this website and a lot of other people love generation 1.

lovesbabysquirmy and Brightberry I agree with both of you it depend on what you like the most I like the toys better, but my little pony was originally for little girls so your right brightberry they want to remain masculine, but at the same time love ponies and hey nothing wrong with that my little pony is meant to be loved by everybody.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 05:57:31 PM by chaosprincess »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal