collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Photographing your ponies  (Read 2869 times)

Offline applejackbunny

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Photographing your ponies
« on: February 29, 2016, 01:27:17 PM »
Hi Everypony,

This may be a weird question, but does anypony have any hints or tips on how to take a really good shot of your ponies. My main concern is setting up the right background for them...I've tried several different backgrounds and continue to experiment but so far nothing looks...well...quite right. What do you all think - if I post a few of the things I've tried...which pony backgrounds do you like the best? Why? Which ones don't work and why? Any tips for how to make them look better?

I'd really appreciate some input as I enjoy taking photos of my ponies and looking at their photos as much as collecting them so I kind of want to do better  :P

Here's my first attempt at being creative with a candle and some flowers!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Then I tried with mirrors...

Then random objects and cushions!!

Plain paper!

Finally, a towel scattered with some glittery things!  :cry: Help!

To me, they all look so so...and I really have tried hard to put in lots of effort so I'm quite frustrated, lol!  :drunk:

Seriously, I know it's down to personal creativity etc., etc., but I know it's possible to take a really great photo without the background stealing the pony's thunder and without it being boring either, 'cos I've seen a few really great shots on here! It's actually quite hard to get it right, I've found...So, if anyone who has struggled, as I have, to come up with a creative and interesting, but not overpowering, background to beautifully show off and enhance their pony, and has any useful hints or tips they don't mind sharing - I'd be one happy pony!  :biggrin:

Current wish list: G1: Baby Princess Sparkle (dark purple var.), Dazzleglow (blue heart var.), Cha Cha the Llama; G3: Baby Northern Lights and Winter Ice, Pumpkin Tart Nirvanas: Any interesting Applejacks (esp. Colombian)!, Argie Tomatoberry, Sweet Tooth [/color]

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Photographing your ponies
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 01:34:58 PM »
First of all, I'm super in love with your Cascade, Tickle and Mommy Berrytown.

Second, have a little fun with them. Take them to a park, perch them on a branch, dollhouse furniture works well to set up scenes, you can print out backgrounds from your computer to suit the pony.

Bring in other toys to ride or interact with them, the beach, the woods, small bridges and unfilled birdbaths.

Cotton works well as clouds or snow.

My personal examples:

I had my boyfriend's clone trooper riding my G3 Tropical Surprise.

Shopkins blind baskets and jelly beans served well as Easter baskets and easter eggs for an egg hunt photo.

I used the barbie toilet and sink in a Potty train a Drink n Wet photo in DD's doll house.

I perched ponies on the rail of a small wooden bridge in our front yard as if they were doing a dare.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 01:46:21 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline applejackbunny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 01:39:14 PM »
Brilliant! Ooooh - I forgot, I actually do have some I took outside in my garden...hold on and I'll find them...
Current wish list: G1: Baby Princess Sparkle (dark purple var.), Dazzleglow (blue heart var.), Cha Cha the Llama; G3: Baby Northern Lights and Winter Ice, Pumpkin Tart Nirvanas: Any interesting Applejacks (esp. Colombian)!, Argie Tomatoberry, Sweet Tooth [/color]

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 01:45:49 PM »
You can check out some of my photos on my DA account. LittleKunai is my name.

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 01:56:45 PM »
Hmmm, I think what'd help you is to work with your lighting. Make sure it's not too bright, and not too dark. I use LED lights and diffuse it with white tissue paper screens. Here's some of what myself and Shenanigans have done when do our Photoshoots!

The first is obviously with a back ground of paper stock, which was chosen for its complimentary colors. the second was late afternoon sun. The third was plain white poster board. You can make your own phototaking areas with appropriate lighting and scenarios :) The best you can do though is just embrace the twitchy finger and snap lots of pics to see what works for you :D

I hope some of this was a little helpful

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 02:00:12 PM »
Your Bubbles looks so cute sitting in the surf and your TAF Buttons is still one of the prettiest ones I've ever seen!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 02:05:29 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline applejackbunny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 02:06:50 PM »
First of all, I'm super in love with your Cascade, Tickle and Mommy Berrytown.

Second, have a little fun with them. Take them to a park, perch them on a branch, dollhouse furniture works well to set up scenes, you can print out backgrounds from your computer to suit the pony.

Bring in other toys to ride or interact with them, the beach, the woods, small bridges and unfilled birdbaths.

Cotton works well as clouds or snow.

My personal examples:

I had my boyfriend's clone trooper riding my G3 Tropical Surprise.

Shopkins blind baskets and jelly beans served well as Easter baskets and easter eggs for an egg hunt photo.

I used the barbie toilet and sink in a Potty train a Drink n Wet photo in DD's doll house.

I perched ponies on the rail of a small wooden bridge in our front yard as if they were doing a dare.

Thanks! I adore Cascade too, she's such a pretty pony  :)

Found them! I hadn't uploaded them to photobucket and it's VERY slow...but here they are (and yes, I do think they look much better!) - I totally forgot about these!

I also really like your idea of printing off a background for them and the jelly beans and cotton wool sound great fun - thanks!  :lol:

Here are my garden ones (took advantage of the sun while we had some I think!):

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 02:09:33 PM »
Aww your girls look so cute. ^^

Offline applejackbunny

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 02:09:55 PM »
You can check out some of my photos on my DA account. LittleKunai is my name.

Wow! Thank you so much - I will have a look  :)

Post Merge: February 29, 2016, 02:14:59 PM

Hmmm, I think what'd help you is to work with your lighting. Make sure it's not too bright, and not too dark. I use LED lights and diffuse it with white tissue paper screens. Here's some of what myself and Shenanigans have done when do our Photoshoots!

The first is obviously with a back ground of paper stock, which was chosen for its complimentary colors. the second was late afternoon sun. The third was plain white poster board. You can make your own phototaking areas with appropriate lighting and scenarios :) The best you can do though is just embrace the twitchy finger and snap lots of pics to see what works for you :D

I hope some of this was a little helpful

This was all very helpful indeed - thank you! Yes, lighting can be a pain, esp. in the UK where it's grey and overcast 90% of the time, lol!  :biggrin: I will definitely work on it though try out your tips so thanks! LOVE your bubbles in the sea - she looks so happy and your TAF buttons is so pretty! :)

Post Merge: February 29, 2016, 02:15:40 PM

Aww your girls look so cute. ^^

Thanks Leave a Whisper  :)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 02:15:40 PM by applejackbunny »

Offline Tak

• Lost in the clouds Unicorn
  • No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 02:20:30 PM »
I'm terrible at taking pictures. I didn't like the mirror shots. Maybe if you could see more of her reflection.  :shrug:

Offline kissthethunder

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 02:21:48 PM »
It's my pleasure to help if I can! It's really hard to get that perfect shot, especially outside with wind and water and so many other variables. I like afternoon sun the best for Photos. If it's overhead I find it's way too bright and the colors don't look true.

Hmm. In the UK it just might be different.

My advice would be to set up a pony in one spot. On the hour every hour, take a few photos and document when the photos were taken. Make a note of when your best lighting is for pics and just try to work around those times :)

Also, THANK YOU!! I've been working hard to photograph better so it means a lot to me guys!

Offline applejackbunny

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 02:29:43 PM »
I'm terrible at taking pictures. I didn't like the mirror shots. Maybe if you could see more of her reflection.  :shrug:

Ok, I'll give those another go with more reflection because I quite like the idea myself...but then I would, lol! Seriously though, thanks for the feedback - I will try harder!  :)

Post Merge: February 29, 2016, 02:31:06 PM

LittleKunai - I just had a look at yours...they're very creative - wow! Thank you so much...it has given me lots of ideas for things I can try  :)

Offline kissthethunder

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 02:34:24 PM »

Ok, I'll give those another go with more reflection because I quite like the idea myself...but then I would, lol! Seriously though, thanks for the feedback - I will try harder!  :)

Post Merge: February 29, 2016, 02:31:06 PM

LittleKunai - I just had a look at yours...they're very creative - wow! Thank you so much...it has given me lots of ideas for things I can try  :)

Mirror shots are hard. I think my favorite ones are where you can see an entirely different angle of what your photographing. Like two good photos in one. Of course, there's getting that perfect shot and keeping yourself out of it XD Mine have never turned out very good.

This is my best efforts with a monster high doll and a small mirror. LARGE ONES HATE ME T_T

Offline applejackbunny

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 02:38:57 PM »
Mirror shots are hard. I think my favorite ones are where you can see an entirely different angle of what your photographing. Like two good photos in one. Of course, there's getting that perfect shot and keeping yourself out of it XD Mine have never turned out very good.

This is my best efforts with a monster high doll and a small mirror. LARGE ONES HATE ME T_T
[/quote]

That's a really good one! Yes, keeping your own shadow out of shots is a pain too....so much to get right, lol!  :)

Offline kissthethunder

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 03:04:54 PM »
Yeah, very tricky!! BUT I think you're on the right track! I love your photos of Jenny in the daisys and I can tell you're trying to get creative! Just take lotssssss of shots! I can't wait to see more from you!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal