collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Photographing your ponies  (Read 2867 times)

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
Re: Photographing your ponies
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2016, 05:44:40 PM »
Great thread with lots of great advice. I haven't photographed ponies in ages (they're packed away ATM), but I'll post some older ones. I often use the macro setting if a camera has it when photographing ponies, it makes it easier to focus on smaller details. Playing with light can have great results. There's no 'perfect light for every subject', it depends on what you're trying to achieve - have fun!

An old sig pic, taken indoors, natural light, a pony sheet backdrop
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Post-spa pic taken in my bathroom, which has a sunlight, great light in there!

In front of a lamp in my spare bedroom when I was packing ponies away one night, loved the light coming through them, took a few shots!

Grabbed a few ponies and went out into the garden for some photos on a cloudy day with soft sunlight.

I hope these give you some ideas! Remember, it's meant to be fun!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline PJSparkles

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Here comes PJ Sparkles!
    • View Profile
    • (A) Tumblr :)
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2016, 07:25:26 PM »
Hmmm, I think what'd help you is to work with your lighting. Make sure it's not too bright, and not too dark. I use LED lights and diffuse it with white tissue paper screens. Here's some of what myself and Shenanigans have done when do our Photoshoots!

The first is obviously with a back ground of paper stock, which was chosen for its complimentary colors. the second was late afternoon sun. The third was plain white poster board. You can make your own phototaking areas with appropriate lighting and scenarios :) The best you can do though is just embrace the twitchy finger and snap lots of pics to see what works for you :D

I hope some of this was a little helpful
These are some gorgeous pictures! Thanks for sharing your tips!

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2016, 07:38:34 PM »
T_T that makes me so happy, thank you!!!

Offline wizzer218

• Trade Count: (+153)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • love me some pony!
    • View Profile
    • www.flyinghorsearts.com
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2016, 08:54:45 PM »
My favorite is outside pictures but you need to only take pics when it's overcast...no sunnydays...washes out colors...but it definitely shows their colors the best...morning is best time for outside otherwise I do inside with white or solid background and filtered light ...I have a picture box :)

Offline SpaceButtPonies

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 6v9
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2016, 09:11:03 PM »

Sushi time!

I need to take more pictures of my ponies but I am worried I will damage them with my carelessness lol.

Siggy made by tailrustedtealeaf

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2016, 02:17:45 PM »
There's been some great advice on here. My number one thing to avoid at all cost is using the flash on my camera - any of my cameras. Flash is unpredictable, washes out your subject, darkens your background, creates big deep shadows, etc. I just avoid it at all costs. Good lighting really does make a huge difference in photos - I won't rehash what others have already said in that area, but trust me, getting a few extra lights to use for picture taking is worth it.

And if you're me, you spend ages making big elaborate set pieces, props, and backgrounds for a pony photo shoot for no real reason, haha.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 02:19:27 PM by NoDivision »

Offline Shileah

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2016, 03:00:50 PM »
Wow, NoDivision, your photos are awesome! Now that's a totally different approach than mine, but I absolutely love it, because the photo actually tells a small story than just being somewhat random decoration.
I have to try this as well! (If I ever find something fitting, haha :D )
Specifically looking for G1 with pen markings similar to this (my initials - W.S.):

Instagram

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2016, 03:24:38 PM »
I also do a lot of 'pony of white background' if I'm just trying to show off the pony, but I like to really get into scenes as well :)

Offline applejackbunny

• Trade Count: (+13)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2016, 03:34:10 PM »
No Division, your photos are fabulous! Love, love, love them!  :biggrin:

Post Merge: March 03, 2016, 03:37:16 PM

lostpony...your tips and advice for using the camera properly for a good photo shoot are great! Thank you so much! I will read and re-read everything you have suggested and keep practicing!

Post Merge: March 03, 2016, 03:46:15 PM

Lots of great advice (and pictures!) in this thread!  I haven't much to add (my photography is terrible) but applejackbunny, I love the picture in your first post of Sealight, and the picture of Baby Stockings and Merry Treats!  Mine are mother and daughter too.  :)

Aww, they do seem to belong together don't they? : )

Thanks for your comments about Sealight and my attempt at a Christmas scene with Baby Stockings and Merry Treat. I know I have lots more practice to do but it's always nice to get positive feedback! I'm sure your photography is great - just be brave and take lots until you're halfway happy with them and then just keep practicing! :)

Post Merge: March 03, 2016, 04:04:05 PM

A few examples:

Just the pony, without any accessories or decoration.

Pony with her accessories

Pony with some simple decoration

I'm still not completely content with everything, the lightning could be improved, and I need some additional backgrounds for more variety. But maybe I could provide a bit of inspiration! :)

Shileah, I adore your photo of Seashell sitting on the beach and your Bowtie is so pretty with that lovely background. I think those paper backdrops can be so effective.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 04:04:05 PM by applejackbunny »
Current wish list: G1: Baby Princess Sparkle (dark purple var.), Dazzleglow (blue heart var.), Cha Cha the Llama; G3: Baby Northern Lights and Winter Ice, Pumpkin Tart Nirvanas: Any interesting Applejacks (esp. Colombian)!, Argie Tomatoberry, Sweet Tooth [/color]

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2016, 05:12:42 PM »
There's been some great advice on here. My number one thing to avoid at all cost is using the flash on my camera - any of my cameras. Flash is unpredictable, washes out your subject, darkens your background, creates big deep shadows, etc. I just avoid it at all costs. Good lighting really does make a huge difference in photos - I won't rehash what others have already said in that area, but trust me, getting a few extra lights to use for picture taking is worth it.

And if you're me, you spend ages making big elaborate set pieces, props, and backgrounds for a pony photo shoot for no real reason, haha.

Those are fantabulous photos! ^.^
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Valerie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • ☼ I ❤ G3 ☼
    • View Profile
    • Valerie´s Pony Rainbow
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2016, 09:06:28 PM »
This is an interesting thread!!!  :thumb:

One of my favourites things about ponies is take pictures of them :) In this thread you have a lot of amazing tips, I just will add my own experience ;)

I haven't profesional camera, I use the Note 3 Samsung smartphone and I love it ;)
I haven't light equipment and the lighting in my room is awful (yellow and dark light), so I prefer to take pictures outside, if there is a sunny day better, but the sun hasnt to be so strong because the pic could have weird shadows, so maybe it is better for me a sunny and little cloudy day.

But sometimes I want to take pics and I cant go outside, so I have to work in my bedroom with the awful light, and plus I dont like to use the flash because the backgrounds look so dark in that way...

When that happens I edit the pictures with two programs: Photoscape in my computer and then Line Camera in my smartphone. If you don´t know about these I super recommend them, they are so helpful and for free, you dont have to pay those apps!! :) With Photoscape you can fix the lighting, the white things that look yellowy can be converted in white again, then with Line Camera you have tons of amazing filters, stickers and frames. I love the filters because with some you can enhance the colors without changing too much their real tones, and if you havent matching accesories for the pony model maybe you can use some stickers :)

And for the backgrounds I havent rules. I take pics of all the ponies I bought, and I just decide wich background I will use looking at the pony, other times I prefer to go outsie and make some shoots with natural backgrounds and light but it all depends on the pony.

Here some examples of my pics, I have a lot more in my Tumblr and Instagram if you want too see them (links in my sig) ;)

:heart: The tipical white background, but I have added some flowers to make them more colorful and in the last just white stickers and frame because I wanted to fill the pic with something   :lol:

:heart: I made two posters with Hasbro art, one of the G3 Ponyville and other of the Rainbow Castle, I use a lot those backgrounds, but I add for each pony different accesories, elements or stickers with the Line Camera app :)

:heart: Natural background and accesories: You can take pictures using the sky as background, or using grass or another natural thing, I also love to find pretty flowers, but well, I see that you already used this, your garden pictures are so cute and pretty! :lovey:

:heart: Weird backgrounds: Maybe near your house or in it you have a mosaics table, a little puddle, an interesting window or glass or something weird like that and you think that it is ugly to take pictures, but with an edition effect or filter maybe it looks cool, I've learned that almost by chance, many times the shoots that I thought were the worst after the edition were the best  :lol:

:heart: And the last I will say: When I go to take a walk to a pretty place or to a nice restaurant or coffee shop I put a pony in my bag :lol: You never knows where you will find a nice view to take a picture, for example if I go to the Japanese Garden of my city (Buenos Aires), a pony family always comes with me lol  :biggrin:

« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 09:09:23 PM by Valerie »
:sunny:   visitors can't see pics , please register or login
   :sunny:   

Valerie´s Pony Rainbow Tumblr - Instagram - Youtube
:heart:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2016, 01:09:03 PM »
This is an interesting thread!!!  :thumb:

One of my favourites things about ponies is take pictures of them :) In this thread you have a lot of amazing tips, I just will add my own experience ;)

I haven't profesional camera, I use the Note 3 Samsung smartphone and I love it ;)
I haven't light equipment and the lighting in my room is awful (yellow and dark light), so I prefer to take pictures outside, if there is a sunny day better, but the sun hasnt to be so strong because the pic could have weird shadows, so maybe it is better for me a sunny and little cloudy day.

But sometimes I want to take pics and I cant go outside, so I have to work in my bedroom with the awful light, and plus I dont like to use the flash because the backgrounds look so dark in that way...

When that happens I edit the pictures with two programs: Photoscape in my computer and then Line Camera in my smartphone. If you don´t know about these I super recommend them, they are so helpful and for free, you dont have to pay those apps!! :) With Photoscape you can fix the lighting, the white things that look yellowy can be converted in white again, then with Line Camera you have tons of amazing filters, stickers and frames. I love the filters because with some you can enhance the colors without changing too much their real tones, and if you havent matching accesories for the pony model maybe you can use some stickers :)

And for the backgrounds I havent rules. I take pics of all the ponies I bought, and I just decide wich background I will use looking at the pony, other times I prefer to go outsie and make some shoots with natural backgrounds and light but it all depends on the pony.

Here some examples of my pics, I have a lot more in my Tumblr and Instagram if you want too see them (links in my sig) ;)

:heart: The tipical white background, but I have added some flowers to make them more colorful and in the last just white stickers and frame because I wanted to fill the pic with something   :lol:

:heart: I made two posters with Hasbro art, one of the G3 Ponyville and other of the Rainbow Castle, I use a lot those backgrounds, but I add for each pony different accesories, elements or stickers with the Line Camera app :)

:heart: Natural background and accesories: You can take pictures using the sky as background, or using grass or another natural thing, I also love to find pretty flowers, but well, I see that you already used this, your garden pictures are so cute and pretty! :lovey:

:heart: Weird backgrounds: Maybe near your house or in it you have a mosaics table, a little puddle, an interesting window or glass or something weird like that and you think that it is ugly to take pictures, but with an edition effect or filter maybe it looks cool, I've learned that almost by chance, many times the shoots that I thought were the worst after the edition were the best  :lol:

:heart: And the last I will say: When I go to take a walk to a pretty place or to a nice restaurant or coffee shop I put a pony in my bag :lol: You never knows where you will find a nice view to take a picture, for example if I go to the Japanese Garden of my city (Buenos Aires), a pony family always comes with me lol  :biggrin:

:dribble:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline MoonStars

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2016, 09:38:30 AM »
You can also make a light box really easily with a cardboard box ( size dependent on project :) ) and tissue paper or plain old white paper. I guess we're not supposed to link things off site, but just google "cheap easy lightbox"

Offline applejackbunny

• Trade Count: (+13)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2016, 11:08:05 AM »
You can also make a light box really easily with a cardboard box ( size dependent on project :) ) and tissue paper or plain old white paper. I guess we're not supposed to link things off site, but just google "cheap easy lightbox"

That's a brilliant suggestion - thanks MoonStars  :)
Current wish list: G1: Baby Princess Sparkle (dark purple var.), Dazzleglow (blue heart var.), Cha Cha the Llama; G3: Baby Northern Lights and Winter Ice, Pumpkin Tart Nirvanas: Any interesting Applejacks (esp. Colombian)!, Argie Tomatoberry, Sweet Tooth [/color]

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2016, 11:20:41 AM »
Beautiful photos, y'all!!  :cool:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal