collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: help and plea about nirvana rehairs  (Read 3963 times)

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: help and plea about nirvana rehairs
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2015, 04:51:53 PM »
I just *always* assume at some point in the future, *every pony* is going to pass through a non collectors hands, which to me, makes marking ponies who have had a major restoration important. I've bought ponies that years later turned out to have major restoration work I never knew about, like a painted leg to hide ink marks, and I found out when I was going over it with a baby wipe and the paint started coming off.
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline aero_oceana

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/aero_oceana
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2015, 07:21:45 PM »
I recently heard (through a Facebook group) that a well known seller was selling rehairs without disclosing the fact. I commented there that I really wanted to know who this seller was so I wouldn't be fooled. No one revealed who it was, though.

I'm going to reiterate here, I would REALLY like to know who is selling rehairs without disclosing... I like my ponies to be original and I would be very upset if this happened to me, too. Especially on such a pricey pony as a Nirvana.

Thanks to Sorrow for my gorgeous sig and also for my beautiful avatar!
Formerly known as Aerosmith_Gal.

Offline Lady Starflower

• Trade Count: (+246)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Brazilian & Greek Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2015, 04:30:21 AM »
I just *always* assume at some point in the future, *every pony* is going to pass through a non collectors hands, which to me, makes marking ponies who have had a major restoration important. I've bought ponies that years later turned out to have major restoration work I never knew about, like a painted leg to hide ink marks, and I found out when I was going over it with a baby wipe and the paint started coming off.

This! Exactly!
Full Wishlist~*~Sales~*~
Grails: Greek(blue)Medley, Greek Sunlight(Silver Clouds) and Brazil Duck Soup.

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2015, 06:10:31 AM »
Always always always ask for a photo of the inside of the ponies head. Not everyone is so forthcoming and some people genuinely don't know so it's tricky as some sellers will get defensive and think you're questioning their intent. If you don't know, you can always ask here.

I've only ever had it happen once, only to discover it was a factory rehair which made me like her even more!! :o

I found out when I was going over it with a baby wipe and the paint started coming off.

EEEEEK!! :drunk:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 06:13:39 AM by Chi »
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2015, 11:04:56 AM »
I agree with galactica - it can be hard to spot a rehair, at least for me - and aero_oceana - I would like to know what and who to watch out for.  I've been afraid to step on people's toes too, but I'm getting tired of it.  Just yesterday I received a nirvana pony that was supposed to be NM but turned out to have a haircut.  I think the seller will probably say she never noticed it; that's what they all say.  *sigh*  On the one hand, I feel like I shouldn't be too hard on them; if they didn't notice, then they didn't notice.  On the other I wonder what's wrong with people; for goodness' sake, LOOK CAREFULLY!

*sigh*  Sorry, I got off topic talking about haircuts when the subject is rehairs.  Anyway, I also wanted to mention that I don't *think* I've sold any rehairs.  But I really don't do rehairing or restorations myself; if a pony needs more than a bath and a recurl, then I don't bother; I just look for a mintier pony.  I think I'm pretty good at spotting rehairs when the hair is the wrong length or doesn't lay right.  But I'll admit, I don't really know how they're supposed to look inside.  I *believe* that some factory weaves are messier than others, especially in some countries, but again, I don't really know.  And if a neck joint seems to have the original seal, then I don't break it to check because I consider that damaging the pony.  (I've had a few ponies with messy neck joints that had been damaged by knives, and I doubt they were even dirty or rusty inside.)

Anyway, sorry, I'm babbling.  The point I was trying to make was that I don't *think* I've sold any undisclosed rehairs.  But if anyone has bought a pony from me that they suspect is a rehair, then I hope they're not afraid to come forward and tell me.  A lot of you have bought from me and know (I hope) that I take the time to post lots of pics and detailed descriptions in my sale threads.  So I really do try to be accurate.  But if I'm selling rehairs without knowing it, then I'd like to be educated.

(I've probably sold 200+ ponies, and I did have one dissatisfied customer because there were small flaws I missed on a pony she bought.  Well, to quote Hoggle, "You can't be right all the time."  But it was only a $15 pony anyway; I gave her a partial refund and we both let it go.)
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2015, 12:57:50 PM »
Maybe rehairers could write down "Rehaired" on a piece of paper and leave it folded inside the body of the pony?

Personally I would never write on a pony, for any reason.  That's much worse than rehairing to me.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2015, 12:40:02 PM »
Maybe rehairers could write down "Rehaired" on a piece of paper and leave it folded inside the body of the pony?

Personally I would never write on a pony, for any reason.  That's much worse than rehairing to me.

Yeah- same here.  I would put a piece of paper in the pony though- maybe that would satisfy some  :lol:

These posts do make me more cautious about buying or selling ponies though (not like I do a ton of that these days)

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2015, 05:00:11 PM »
I recently heard (through a Facebook group) that a well known seller was selling rehairs without disclosing the fact. I commented there that I really wanted to know who this seller was so I wouldn't be fooled. No one revealed who it was, though.

I'm going to reiterate here, I would REALLY like to know who is selling rehairs without disclosing... I like my ponies to be original and I would be very upset if this happened to me, too. Especially on such a pricey pony as a Nirvana.

I agree 100%. Pony people never want to name names when someone is doing something shady, and it does nothing but hurt future buyers.

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2015, 05:18:58 PM »

I agree 100%. Pony people never want to name names when someone is doing something shady, and it does nothing but hurt future buyers.

I agree to but in many cases like all mine, I have brought from a collector who doesn't know they sold me a rehair and so some rehaired ponies are passing hands many times without anyone knowing about this. I am not going to shame a seller that is willing to work with me about fixing the problem and whom I believe sincerely didn't know about the rehair being done.

I just wish people would check ponies before selling as its just a hassle for everyone to buy an undisclosed rehair. I also think it pays for buyers to check there pony on arrival just to be sure. I personally think everyone needs to take greater care, at least everyone I have spoken to or know personally in nz have all at some stage brought an undisclosed rehair  >_<

Post Merge: September 28, 2015, 05:20:34 PM

The one with the hair cut has orignal hair, the long hair is a rehair as you can see the colours are a close match so not obvious to tell on is rehaired, however when you look inside you can see

This head has factory weave, you can see that the ends are messy but for the most part the weave is very clean, you can also feel the weave with your finger its very distinct

This is the rehaired pony, there is no weave. This rehair was done using a rehairing tool and so hair has just been placed in the plug hole and not glued/ knotted in. It is very soft to touch if you feel along the inside

I hope this helps those that don't know what to look for, there are different methods for rehairing but rehairing tools are the most commonly used.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 09:06:22 PM by nhal039 »

Offline Avea2006

• Trade Count: (+136)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2015, 08:17:50 PM »
nhal039 - that is a very helpful post!! Thank you for taking the time to post pics

Offline aero_oceana

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2015, 01:56:38 AM »
I know I, for one, would still like to know who the well-known seller is who has sold multiple rehairs without mentioning. If anyone here knows who that is, feel free to PM me. I won't blast the name, I just want to know for future reference so I avoid buying from that person.

Offline daffodil101

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2015, 03:22:26 AM »
Yeah that makes sense. Especially the price thing. (For example, I recently bought this particular Twist variant and only paid $15 because the hair is barely there. But a perfect one is $220!)

Wow that's a big difference. The fact that a dishonest seller could mark up the price so significantly is a
I'm happy with rehairs (or baits) when they are significantly more affordable.  In some cases I'd like to have a pretty restored pony rather than it being in poor condition.  But if I didn't know what I was getting beforehand I'd still feel cheated.

I also find the idea of writing on a pony a little hard to stomach... I'd be fine with a note inside (great idea) or sticker under the foot; maybe writing on the inside of the pony would be okay.  I personally don't like re-sealing heads when I rehair a pony (I've done 2 so far, such a noob :) ), to make it easy to check inside.

@Taffeta -- great insights about referring problem sellers to mods.  The reluctance we feel about criticising others openly is part of the caring, considerate culture of the Arena makes it special, different from so many other places online.  You raise a sad point about some of the consequences that can come from upsetting a bad member.  Trying to sort things out in private first is wise and then if, after that there is a need to make some information public it will be the mods decision.  (Thanks to our mods... you guys are incredible.)

Offline Tiggums6

• Valkyrie of the Victory
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2015, 04:07:47 AM »
I understand completely the frustration here, I was assisted by nhal to move on a Diamond Dreams that was an undisclosed rehair when I bought her, I also have a Nightglider with a redone forelock that was not noted by the seller....a few ponies through your hands and you can see the subtle signs, but you feel annoyed getting left to onsell a pony that has significantly devalued because it took you some time to see it, bought in good faith etc...
Remember kids....don't drink and ebay...

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2015, 09:15:04 AM »
I think the thing is, suddenly a LOT of rehairs seem to be being sold without saying so, and it makes me worry if you are all buying them from the same person, since everyone keeps saying they bought it from a well known collector who didn't know.
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline aero_oceana

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2015, 10:06:23 AM »
I think the thing is, suddenly a LOT of rehairs seem to be being sold without saying so, and it makes me worry if you are all buying them from the same person, since everyone keeps saying they bought it from a well known collector who didn't know.

This! A person like this should not be protected, no matter how long they have been around - in my opinion. IF they KNOWINGLY are selling rehairs without disclosing, I mean (like wizzer suggested). That's the person I'd really like to know about, it's not something that should be tolerated.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal