collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: help and plea about nirvana rehairs  (Read 3920 times)

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
help and plea about nirvana rehairs
« on: August 11, 2015, 02:18:37 PM »
Hi guys
I am just posting here looking for advice and making a desperate plea. In the last month I have received 2 ponies that I brought in "excellent condition" from collectors from the arena however upon recieving them I have found that both have been rehaired  :huh: This is the 5th time now this has happened to me and always these ponies are from collectors whom say they didn't know they where rehairs.

Firstly my plea is as a collector when selling ponies can you please take more care with checking if your ponies (nirvanas) are rehaired or not , I really am shocked at how so many rehairs are getting past people, this is quite a shame for the community and really I think collectors need to take more care :/ Some rehairs are very well done but truth be honest there are some buyers that just don't buy rehairs period and so shouldnt have to be in this situation of receiving one.

Secondly I am asking for advice, what is arena etiquette for dealing with such a situation? I haven't posted this on trader support as I think (well at least in my case) its mainly a nirvana issue as i would imagine this only happens with ponies of greater value, for me also since the last 2 were brought from the arena I would like to know what arena members think about this and how to preceed.

In the past my first few undisclosed rehairs I let slide despite one costing me $145  >_<, my 3rd undisclosed rehair I got a partial refund but these last 2 I just straight out wouldn't  have brought if I knew they where rehaired.

I want to return them but my question is who pays postage? both are from intl sellers. I don't really think it fair I pay postage both ways for a mistake that wasn't mine? This is what I am seeking advice with please, I would just like to know what members think is fair rather than how paypal works please.

secondly if the seller refuses a return how much should a partial refund be? half the value of the pony plus half of the post? I would prefer not to go down this route but post will be costly if I have to pay both ways so I might have to take this option :/

Also in reguards to buying undisclosed rehairs is this my fault or the buyers? should I take more care and ask more questions? I buy mainly from collectors so I dont get nasty surprises but it seems they still are yet to surprise with undisclosed issues. I am quite trusting and so when someone says a pony is in excellent condition I believe them. Personally I think this should be for the seller to know rather than the buyer to find out but really I would like to know how others feel about this.

Please any advices would be much appreciated. Thanks
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 02:25:44 PM by nhal039 »

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: help and plea about nirvana rehairs
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 03:27:51 PM »
*nods* this is why I'm so big on the idea that any rehaired pony should be marked on the bottom of the feet.  How obvious were the rehair jobs?  Like, was the hair inside woven, factory style, or done with a knot or tool method?   

To me, the method it was done in would be a big factor; tool or knot methods are pretty obvious, but it's hard to blame anyone for thinking a pony with the woven style is original hair.
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline nhal039

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 03:53:31 PM »
All have been with a rehairing tool :/ and no heads have been reglued so they where very easy to check

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 04:06:18 PM »
Couldn't you ask the buyer questions about whether the head is still glued and ask for pictures of the inside of the pony's head to the extent possible?

It is likely some collectors don't know the difference between a re-haired pony and not, so it may be helpful when buying to be very specific about what you are looking for?  Just some ideas. 

I understand the concern, but I do have a couple of Nirvanas that I will probaby finish re-hairing at some point, and I don't have any plan to write on them- it feels worse than writing in a library book to me :D

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 04:08:06 PM »
Since I haven't been in the same situation its hard to say.
But I know I would be very upset as a buyer if I bought nirvana ponies that were not as described.
As a seller its their responsibility to check these things, and if they don't I think its their job to remedy the situation.

I know if I were the seller I would be embarrassed and take the item back. There's a certain etiquette involved in these instances. I'm sorry that this is happening with collector sold ponies :/
I hope that things work out for the best!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 04:17:13 PM »
To be clear-  I would also expect the buyer to refund the pony and take it back.  Even if they didn't know any better, the value is heavily dependant upon whether or not the pony has original mane and tail and symbol, and it isn't usually THAT hard to figure out. 

But I think since this seems to be happening to the OP so regularly, maybe there are some follow-up questions that could be asked that would reveal to even the most beginning of collectors whether or not the mane is original before you buy?

As for the ponies at issue- since the hairing techniques seem to be different for different countries- I would want to be very sure that they are actually re-hairs before asking for a refund.  Is there an expert Mod who can help with any dispute?  I would definitely ask for help.

Offline nhal039

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 05:19:30 PM »
Thanks for the response so far. I rehair ponies myself when called for so i know rehairing has its place this is not my issue. My issue is not being told when buying and collectors not being aware of the conditions of their ponies before selling.
I guess i will have to go back to asking if a pony is a rehair but tbh i feel embarresed to when buying from collectors with huge nirvana collections as i assume they know their ponies well and are aware of rehairs so it feel like i am undermining them. I always look at these things when recieving a pony and even more so when selling. These collectors that sold me rehairs have many nirvanas and many of there ponies well exceed the $150  plus mark.
I have always sent photos off to the sellers proving they are rehairs they are really not hard to tell as they have all been rehaired using a rehairing tool.

Anyhow again thanks for your opinions i really do appricated them all :) anymore opinions are welcomed also

Post Merge: August 11, 2015, 05:21:30 PM

Also i am trying to work it out with the buyers before seek help. Was just wondering how others would preceed as i want to be fair
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 05:21:30 PM by nhal039 »

Offline Lady Starflower

• Trade Count: (+246)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Brazilian & Greek Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 05:38:14 PM »
I'm definitely a big fan of marking any pony that has been rehaired. It avoids things like this happening.
You're already altering the pony a simple RH or Rehair (if you can write small enough) on the bottoms of a hoof isn't going to drop value past the rehair value.
Full Wishlist~*~Sales~*~
Grails: Greek(blue)Medley, Greek Sunlight(Silver Clouds) and Brazil Duck Soup.

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 05:46:21 PM »
I know when I first stared rehairing I let some ponies slip by without the "RH", just because I didn't think about it. Now though any pony I have nirvana or not leaves here with the "RH" unless it's in my add that they have been rehaired, since I know some people will rehair them again with pony donation hair instead of how I use Dollyhair. I agree the ponies should be marked but also agree at the sellers might really just not have known. They should take them back though upon finding out the issue, since it does drop value and anyone that rehairs has to take that into consideration when you do it.  I've sold some of my nirvanas lately that were my "never sells" that were rehairs, but they were labeled and I said as much and expected the price drop too.  ;)
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 06:51:43 PM »
*nods* you are already changing the pony from original with new hair, what difference is a little mark under the foot? :)
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline wizzer218

• Trade Count: (+153)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • love me some pony!
    • View Profile
    • www.flyinghorsearts.com
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 07:23:15 PM »
I think it really falls on the seller for the most part....most collectors are very good at spotting a rehair ..even without looking inside.....I previously helped a friend on here with an expensive pony bought from a very well known nirvana collector on here, i finally got to see the pony in person at the my little pony fair...and I told her....I am sorry but this has been rehaired.....I felt bad because I knew that she pd a good amount on her....I know that the seller knew...there's no way she wouldn't have been able to tell....another friend has had the same type of issues with same seller on here....I will not name names because I do not want to cause trouble....but its just not right ...I mean I think just asking if its got hair cuts or whether or not its a rehair is all the buyer should really need to ask besides the general condition questions...if I ever have any doubts i get that head open carefully and check ;)...I hope it all works out for you...I would not be happy either....my friends are far too nice to call the seller on here out....lol....but if I were you I would get a refund.

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 08:15:34 PM »
I think it really falls on the seller for the most part....most collectors are very good at spotting a rehair ..even without looking inside.....I previously helped a friend on here with an expensive pony bought from a very well known nirvana collector on here, i finally got to see the pony in person at the my little pony fair...and I told her....I am sorry but this has been rehaired.....I felt bad because I knew that she pd a good amount on her....I know that the seller knew...there's no way she wouldn't have been able to tell....another friend has had the same type of issues with same seller on here....I will not name names because I do not want to cause trouble....but its just not right ...I mean I think just asking if its got hair cuts or whether or not its a rehair is all the buyer should really need to ask besides the general condition questions...if I ever have any doubts i get that head open carefully and check ;)...I hope it all works out for you...I would not be happy either....my friends are far too nice to call the seller on here out....lol....but if I were you I would get a refund.

I think your friends need to say something. I think some of the biggest issues the arena has is with people being fearful of giving accurate feedback. I know I've been guilty of not wanting ot point fingers at others, but seriously if we're not honest how is anyone supposed to take any feedback here seriously?

Matter of fact I'm dealing with an ironic case of someone I didn't "out" ages ago when I was a newbie, and they are causing me all kinds of trouble now under a different name.  :pout:

Formerly Maddie

Offline wizzer218

• Trade Count: (+153)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • love me some pony!
    • View Profile
    • www.flyinghorsearts.com
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 08:55:33 PM »

I think your friends need to say something. I think some of the biggest issues the arena has is with people being fearful of giving accurate feedback. I know I've been guilty of not wanting ot point fingers at others, but seriously if we're not honest how is anyone supposed to take any feedback here seriously?

Matter of fact I'm dealing with an ironic case of someone I didn't "out" ages ago when I was a newbie, and they are causing me all kinds of trouble now under a different name.  :pout:

I agree...i encouraged them to do so.....but nothing came of it.....if it happens to me I will for sure say something

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 09:26:44 PM »
If I may ask, what is the issue with selling rehaired nirvanas? :what:
Other than not telling the buyer first.
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 09:44:49 PM »
If I may ask, what is the issue with selling rehaired nirvanas? :what:
Other than not telling the buyer first.
Nothing is wrong with selling a rehair, but Niravanas as you know are worth more usually than most U.S. Ponies (depending on the kind) rehairing drops the value of the pony, so most won't and shouldn't have to pay full price. It's standard practice for pony collectors now to mark hooves of those that have been changed. The OP isnt complaining about rehairing but people not marking or telling people about the tehair. It really changes the value a lot in some cases like I bought my nice haired Nightlight for $130 years ago since she is basically beautiful. Then I bought a bald one for like $40. Now think about dropping money on nirvanas several times that amount to only discover what you bought isn't what you thought and not worth nearly what you paid.

Post Merge: August 11, 2015, 09:48:30 PM

Also if you watch a show like Pawn Stars think about how someone is always bringing in an old fun they shined up only to learn it would be worth more if they left the patina(rust). It's the same idea. Collectors want as original as possible items and any changes made changes value and usually for the lower.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 09:48:30 PM by Maddie »

Formerly Maddie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal