collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Love Always Wins!!!  (Read 3212 times)

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
Re: yay for lgb now where's the t
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2015, 05:03:06 AM »
never mind... Its not worth it.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 05:46:50 AM by Vertefae »

Offline shimmer73083

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Re: Love Always Wins!!!
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2015, 06:12:17 AM »
I absolutely love all the support that's being shown out there. From the MLP Arena to the White House in rainbow lights it's been such a long time coming.

But yes there is more work to be done. I believe in 30 states LGBT people can still be fired from their jobs just because of their orientation. Someday I hope to see that added to the list of non discrimination categories.

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2015, 06:48:04 AM »
I hope that something good happens for transgender people too, but can't LGB people be happy about the fact that they can get married to who they want now? Not trying to be mean, just saying.

The issue isn't that gay marriage being legal isn't worth celebrating, it's that for many allies the issue ends at gay marriage. it is good that it's legal but I just wish the issues of homeless lgbt youth, the death rate of trans women and Especially trans women of color got as much publicity.
The lgb community isn't without blame either lol, I'm sure chicago pride will be awesome this Sunday but me and my girlfriend aren't going because she's a trans women and a lot of the lgb community round here is pretty trans exclusionary... So not so awesome

Right? This is what I fear. It seems like when the populous gets fired up for one rights cause, they get caught up in supporting one aspect of it and then the enthusiasm fades after that one is achieved, even though many issues are left over, and they are not in the least bit insignificant.

...But as much as it does look like that's exactly what is happening here, with same-sex marriage always being the big ticket issue of LGBT rights (and it is an important one, I'm not stating otherwise), and many big celebrities celebrating how we've "won" now, the environment has changed. Thanks to the internet and social networking, minorities can no longer be drowned out like they could be in the past.

I know I will not let this subject be dropped. It's not at all right that I can get married, but can still be fired from my job. And it's not at all right what transgender people go through. In addition to the obvious fact that LGBT people (especially the 'T') are still subject to heightened threats of physical violence solely for being who we are. This can not be overlooked. ...I hope. As I say, never drop the subject. We can not let these allies think the battle is over.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 06:50:15 AM by Rainbow Blossom »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

|My Collection|

Offline mopthebunny

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Oooh, who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2015, 06:49:30 AM »
I'm really surprised that anyone who considers themselves an LGBT ally thinks that this ruling is the end of all struggles for the LGBT community. But then neither do I understand women who claim that we no longer need feminism. Nor people who deny racism is still a massive systemic issue. :throw:

The white male still hold the majority of power and privileged...until we are all considered to have equal value and rights as him, none of these battles is over.

I completely agree with you. When it comes to discrimination, too many people think the war is over when it's really just the battle that has been won. That's definitely what has happened with the ant-sexism and anti-racism movements :/

Signature by LordBlumiere

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2015, 07:14:02 AM »
I've seen a lot of people getting upset with allies for saying/acting like this is the end and everything's good now, but I have to admit, I haven't seen anyone actually claiming that. I'd imagine some must think that, but is it really all that common?

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2015, 09:48:31 AM »
I've seen a lot of people getting upset with allies for saying/acting like this is the end and everything's good now, but I have to admit, I haven't seen anyone actually claiming that. I'd imagine some must think that, but is it really all that common?

I think it's more of a "what if" in reaction to people saying that sort of thing in other sorts of social justice movements (ex: "why do we need feminism still? women can vote." or "racism is over because jim crow laws no longer exist!"). I understand the fear of such a thing happening but let's hope it doesn't start!
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2015, 11:50:47 AM »
I found out how much of my fb list was American yesterday - over half the chat list suddenly had rainbow icons.

Really glad for the Americans!

I've been trolling my American friends though.

"Hahah, these homophobes are joking they'll move to Canada! Canada has gay marriage, you dopes!"
me: "No we don't. What are you talking about?"

So far my record is 5 minutes before they go to wikipedia.

EDIT:

Oh yes, and good luck on the trans protections. Canada recently made it so that we can self declare without surgery on our paperwork, so once again we're a case study in how it works.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 11:53:39 AM by Rosencrantz »
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2015, 01:03:56 PM »
Ok, I'm going to try to say this without offending anyone, because that's not what I'm trying to do. I adore you all. However, this is OT. It's the happy place. This is the upbeat party forum. It's my job to maintain that. This thread has drifted from it's upbeat partyness. Please let's turn it back around. I know you guys can do it, because you are that awesome. I know there are still issues that need work here though and, if you need to talk about those right now (which is understandable), feel free to hop over and start a thread in WYP.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Rosencrantz

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2015, 01:13:06 PM »
I thought you were annoyed at me messing with my friends for a moment there, Kaos. I was all, 'it's innocent joshin'!'
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2015, 01:15:52 PM »
LOL No, I'm afraid the moving to Canada thing has been cracking me up since it started. I told hubby I'm getting on their bus when they go because I want to go see the northern lights. Then he reminded me that I hate the cold......

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Rosencrantz

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2015, 01:31:12 PM »
It's warm right now! Actually, I saw some BRILLIANT northern lights here in the prairies this spring, when it was warm enough to be wearing a t-shirt.
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline Lore-Lei

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2015, 01:41:01 PM »
"Hahah, these homophobes are joking they'll move to Canada!
>move to Canada

They must be pretty desperate then. Not completely desperate to joke about moving to Mexico yet, but getting there.

Offline Rosencrantz

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2015, 01:52:22 PM »
Mexico also has gay marriage. They're surrounded. Well, okay, MOST of Mexico.
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2015, 09:47:45 PM »
I'm so very, very happy. :) Colorado passed marriage equality laws last year and my husband's moms were able to fibally get married after 17 years. It was so exciting. And even though there is still a long way to go, this is a huge step forward and I couldn't be happier for ALL of the LGBT community. It's about dang time!

:rainbow: :lovey: :rainbow: :lovey: :rainbow: :lovey: :rainbow:

And I have to say, as a side note, I love all of the rainbow lighting on landmarks around the country. Not just because I'm happy about the SCOTUS ruling, but because it's so dang pretty! Can we keep the rainbows? :angel:

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2015, 03:24:41 PM »
I am still very excited over this news but dang, it's really bringing out the ugly on facebook. I may end up defriending some people over this. I can't stand bigotry. :(  But at the same time their comments are so ignorant they borderline on being funny. XD
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal