collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Here's a weird question: Ponies in the dishwasher?  (Read 1781 times)

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
Re: Here's a weird question: Ponies in the dishwasher?
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2015, 04:32:40 AM »
Yeah it gets hot in there! Top shelf those I guys I hope, cuz they might melt!  :cry:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline Nappercasper

• Oh Happy Tails
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+106)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2015, 05:56:50 AM »
I could try with a bait pony haha

Offline Starfall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Keeping Australia Post afloat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2015, 06:38:14 AM »
I put cheapo tupperware and utensils in, and they're fine.

I think it would be excellent for pindot - just bear in mind the first few cycles of the dishwasher use the dirty water for a bit.  Make sure you clean all your filters and run a Finish dishwasher cleaner or similar.  Perhaps only stick them on on the top shelf in time for the last hot, clean pass?  The "drying" sauna bit would be something to monitor.

Good for poor condition ones that otherwise seem unsalvagable.  Looking forward to seeing the results - though by the looks of the photos there's mostly plastic discolouration, rather than smoozy pindot.
Tinsel rehairer extraordinaire!

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2015, 07:28:06 AM »
Oh yeah, I do NOT use dishwasher soap when I do this!  ;) And yes I run an empty load twice before putting in ponies.  And definitely no drying cycle!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
Re: Here\'s a weird question: Ponies in the dishwasher?
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2015, 10:07:37 AM »
I did it! The girls look great! Blossom's black spots didn't go away (and I didn't expect they would), so they'll need some magic eraser work. The symbols and eye paint are still intact.

The ponies are still drying, so I'll post the after pictures when they're done.

Post Merge: June 06, 2015, 10:19:21 AM

I put cheapo tupperware and utensils in, and they're fine.

I think it would be excellent for pindot - just bear in mind the first few cycles of the dishwasher use the dirty water for a bit.  Make sure you clean all your filters and run a Finish dishwasher cleaner or similar.  Perhaps only stick them on on the top shelf in time for the last hot, clean pass?  The "drying" sauna bit would be something to monitor.

Good for poor condition ones that otherwise seem unsalvagable.  Looking forward to seeing the results - though by the looks of the photos there's mostly plastic discolouration, rather than smoozy pindot.

Yeah, fortunately I don't have any ponies with pindot at the moment. So I just picked these girls to experiment with. My dishwasher is extremely not fancy -- it just runs water and doesn't even have a drying cycle! Sprinkles was really dirty on the inside, which you couldn't see from the photo, and the dishwasher cleaned her out really well. And as I said before, I did use dishwasher soap, but I really wasn't worried about that because the soap I use is much less abrasive than most soaps of any kind on the market. I only put a little soap in there, anyway, and a little bit of vinegar, which I use whenever I run the dishwasher (it works like other dishwasher cleaning agents and helps to keep the dishwasher itself clean).

Sorry I didn't have more disgusting ponies to use so I could have a more dramatic before/after showing! The only really gross pony I have right now is a SS and I'm going to try the toothpaste trick on her. (I would NOT want to put a SS in the dishwasher -- though that may be an easy deflocking trick! -- and an easy way to clog the dishwasher.)

Offline Doedeardarling

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2015, 10:45:33 AM »
Good to hear it worked! I may have to try that sometime.

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2015, 12:34:39 PM »
Going for a round 2! I found some more really dirty ponies. Yes, one of those is a sea pony, but she's probably the dirtiest pony in my whole herd. She's been in bath tubs, swimming pools... lakes, probably. I opened her up and was aghast at what I found. Why have I not cleaned her insides sooner?! This may be the cause of all of my health problems over the years (yes, I use hyperbole all the time).

It's really humid here today, so it's probably going to take forever for everyone to dry. :( I'll post after pics when they finally do dry, though!

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2015, 07:50:39 PM »
eeek you are putting glitter symbol ponies in there  :crazy: stop that baby glory, her symbols look great  :yikes:

oh well your ponies i guess

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2015, 09:04:14 PM »
eeek you are putting glitter symbol ponies in there  :crazy: stop that baby glory, her symbols look great  :yikes:

oh well your ponies i guess

No need to worry -- she made it through just fine. :) And she was actually really disgustingly dirty before. She's so much cleaner now! :heart:

Everyone in the second run is doing fine! The sea pony is still ridiculously dirty, though... I guess I'll have to take a toothbrush to her. If that doesn't work... I don't know what to do!

Offline Wind~Whistler

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • You got a twinkle in your eyes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2015, 09:46:22 PM »
I recommend ths shoud be stickied. Say, does this work on pindot? I am getting a new dishwasher, so please gimme info :D
AKA Wind~Whistler on the TP 

http://www.ponylandtours.com
Thanks to Philly for my avi!

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2015, 03:54:39 AM »
I realize some of you are very enthusiastic and I applaud the drive to find new cleaning methods and experimentation, but please bear in mind that the effects of what you do may not show up for a long period of time.  Case in point, acne creams/bleach for ink leading to white/yellow patches.  Please proceed with caution, and preferably with extensive documentation.  There are a lot of variables in something like this - chemicals, temperatures, wash cycles, original condition, pre and post prep, etc.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2015, 11:52:01 AM »
Man, I don't know what kind of soap you guys are using to wash your dishes that contain so many nasty chemicals! Next time I'm at the store I'm going to have to check out the other dishwasher soap brands and see what's in them! I know that most shampoos contains tons of harmful stuff (alcohols and acids), but I don't use any kind of soap whatsoever that has anything like that in it!

Case in point, acne creams/bleach for ink leading to white/yellow patches.
Yeah, I would expect that with bleach because... it's bleach. And real acne creams have several types of acid in them that are meant to burn the acne out of your skin -- since human skin regenerates it's fine for us, but pony skin doesn't heal from acid burns!

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2015, 12:52:34 PM »
I realize some of you are very enthusiastic and I applaud the drive to find new cleaning methods and experimentation, but please bear in mind that the effects of what you do may not show up for a long period of time.  Case in point, acne creams/bleach for ink leading to white/yellow patches.  Please proceed with caution, and preferably with extensive documentation.  There are a lot of variables in something like this - chemicals, temperatures, wash cycles, original condition, pre and post prep, etc.

It really depends on what dish washing detergent that's being used.

Some detergents that are made for the washing machine do contain bleach, so read those labels!

Otherwise, I would think you could run ponies through without any detergent without any possible side effects.  Assuming there's no detergent residue left in the machine ^_^

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2015, 01:00:26 PM »
I'm glad it worked for you! Personally, I won't try it! Would be to scared..lol.  :good:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2015, 12:52:17 PM »
Over the years I have heard of ponies in the dishwasher and the washing machine. Its certainly not a tactic I would try but I know there has been both good and bad results. So as long as you are aware of the risks there is no harm. Looks like you are having fun!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal